Client want 4 PT for Free????

Hello Everyone,

The question is “How would you handle this situation?”

I have a client which I did a Home Inspection for that sent me a form that he wants me to fill out for him that the insurance company needs. After opening the form and finding it to be a 4 pt.

I sent him a reply with my fee and directed him to my webpage that listed all fees last week. Today I received an email back stating:

“…it doesn’t need addition pics on this form - it just needs an inspector to complete.
Can I get you to complete and return? If you have any questions, I would be happy to get us on a conference call to understand the requirement.”

I feel I am being ignored and kinda bullied or maybe I am reading the statement wrong and not to sure who he wants to have a conference call with.

How would you answer and what would you charge?

Thanks Chuck

Probably a conference call with the insurance agent. But it sounds like only if you don’t understand what a 4 point is. I would charge my discounted rate that I charge with a buyer inspection. To head this off at the pass, I always ask a client what year the house was built, and then tell them whether they will need a 4 point and do it while I’m there.

It’s easy to transfer our own emotions into someone else’s email. We can’t read their face or tone of voice in an email. His statement doesn’t seem like he is trying to bully or be aggressive, he probably doesn’t understand and wants to get it done with.

$150 for a stand alone 4-Point, $50 at the time of the comprehensive inspection…Or find someone else.

I agree with Roy tell him separate inspections separate trip separate money
Tell him good insurance agents would pay for that for him If the insurance agent is expecting you to do it for free.

IMO if someone asks me to complete a form where my license is required, I would charge a $50 “administrative fee”.
I still have to do homework, review & glean from the info I already have.

If pics (or other info) are required & I don’t have all of them necessary from the original home inspection, then I would ask for a service call fee for a return trip.
That would be $125-150.

Based on the year of the home we do Four Points at time of inspection. Even if not needed it can save a lot of hassle down the road. And even on newer homes I still take the required photos just in case and goes in their file.

I would fill out the form, send it to everyone with a little note stating that this is normally an additional fee, but as a courtesy, I will send THIS FORM only, to you at no charge.

In the future, I would get in the habit of finding out the actual year built and if you think a four-point is going to be needed, inform your client and if you feel the need to do so, add on a fee.

My software automatically populates most of the fields and all of the pictures when I do a home inspection, so for me, there is virtually no additional work to do once I leave the property. The same thing goes for the wind mits.

You could have a pricing structure based on age and offer the 4-point for “free”, at least as far as the client knows. :wink:

Is there a time limit on how long that applies before you have to reinspect?

I agree with Eric on this as this is good business. We never know what is down the road and doing a good turn is always beneficial. If an additional trip is needed than a fee will be involved.

Yeah I suggest you all give it to them for free please.

Karma will be great for you I promise :slight_smile:

Mike, you definitely know to win friends, influence people, and grow a business. Sometimes a good deed goes a long way for future business.

Agreed Wayne.
I was responding the OP issue.
I quote a fee including a WindMit & WDO, if the property is over 30 years - 4 Point also.
Most times they have no clue but I tell them they’re most likely gonna need one.

I had a weird one come up this year for one of my clients - his insurance company (USAA) threatened
to cancel & demanded a graph of the structure.
It was because I said it was Hip style.
The total “other” was 24 ft, total perimeter was 262.
I guess it was a little too close for their liking.
I was happy to provide it for free.
Actually, it felt like I was defending my call.

When I issue a 4 Point, I use the following script I made up in the email sent if I think
there’s something that will not be acceptable to the insurance company (double taps, roof leaks, etc.).
This way, I’ve done a service giving all a heads up on what may have to be repaired.
I don’t need/want anyone to have a surprise at the last minute - most of these deals, as you know, are as-is.

As a courtesy, the following list of deficiencies may be required
to be repaired for a favorable 4 Point Insurance Report.
This is my opinion based on experience, but you must consult
an insurance company and or agent for verification of what, if anything, needs to be repaired.

"I had a weird one come up this year for one of my clients - his insurance company (USAA) threatened
to cancel & demanded a graph of the structure.
It was because I said it was Hip style.
The total “other” was 24 ft, total perimeter was 262.
I guess it was a little too close for their liking.
I was happy to provide it for free.
Actually, it felt like I was defending my call’.

Any time you check hip roof and have a non hip feature a graph should be included.

I guess each inspector has their own standard. I would say anything after 90 days it becomes a new fee paid inspection visit. But sometimes just saving the pictures in their file allows you something to refer to even if something gets called into question.

That would be the downside to the four points. Knowing you will have to return to document repairs and upgrades.

That is when you get paid again fore a new inspection. WIn WIn. Too bad the insurance companies are not the ones who have to pay.

Never Ever f-ing return for free???

I would simply reply with the cost that I would charge. We also offer a discount if done at the time of the inspection. We always get the information and usually write the report knowing it will be needed. I would never tell someone that a report would be “favorable,” I do not decide what and insurance companies will accept. The fact is that the companies decide and can change the requirements. I do certainly tell clients what I believe will be a problem while obtaining insurance.

Me too, especially with my Home Inspection Alternatives :slight_smile: