Clip question

I’m pretty sure the answer would be toenail. On an inspection, I have clips that were installed with 3 staples and not 3 nails. I assume shear strength would not let this make it as a clip, am I right? As well as the form specifically says “nails”. First time I ran across this and wanted to make sure. Thx Nachi friends.

I agree with you and have never seen it.
Staples are not nails :slight_smile:

Please post a pic. :smiley:

Was it possibly installed with T-nails?

Hmm, good question.

I guess I owe it to the client to go back and make sure. What do you think, T-nails?

Edit, Looks like I need a better pic as well. I could have sworn I could see behind a gap on one of the clips to see the staples, but now my mind is going to second guess me as I have no pic for proof.

That strap looks like bent flashing, is this really an acceptable tie? I think there should be a minimum gauge to go off…but this doesn’t look acceptable to me! I would go back and get a better look at these that’s tough… Looks like staples trying to penetrate through a gusset plate which can’t be fastened to well!

That is an old manufactured clip and sure looks like t-nails to me. I would call it “Other” due to the nails, and let them decide.

Those are case hard T-Nails from an old T-nailer used for 1X furring strips into masonry

INMHO:

Simpson clip that appears to be nailed with T-Nails. 1802 does not say what type of nail ect…

Bostitch - BT481H 2-1/4in T-Nail Dp Stiff
T Nail for use in Bostich Model MIII812CNCT…097in Dia. - Hardened shank. - Diamond point. - For connecting wood or metal studs to concrete.

It’s still a nail.

That’s true, it is a nail, but the head on those things won’t hold down anything. The force of firing that nail into the clip almost goes through it. I know, I tried it once.

I have seen this before, they are much closer to nails than staples. I always let the tie go to the runner. I would give it clip, until I see something official. You could always mark clip and comment t-nails.

Help me out here, how old is that clip? BTW, how old is the house that was inspected? I have never seen a clip, strap, hanger or etc. that hasn’t been pre-punched for connectors to verify an engineered connection.
Thanks, Bill

[quote=“wsmith3, post:12, topic:68143”]

Help me out here, how old is that clip? BTW, how old is the house that was inspected? I have never seen a clip, strap, hanger or etc. that hasn’t been pre-punched for connectors to verify an engineered connection.
Thanks, Bill/QUOTE

They are there