Count or Not Count towards Wind Mit. Report

Had an Agent tell me that this should not count as part of the roof.

Was I wrong for a Wind Mit. I counted this as an attached flat roof. Which put the percentage above 10%.

Any opinions…

That is not attached to the roof so I would not call it part of the roof

What is the roof shape? (Do not consider roofs of porches or carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of the
host structure over unenclosed space in the determination of roof perimeter or roof area for roof geometry classification).

You tell us.

If it is NOT under the roof (same roof of the house) it should not be consider. Is that metal roof addition under the house eve? It looks like it. The answer is NO.

I’d like to see it from the top but from where I’m looking at it, I’d have to say no it shouldn’t be counted as part of the roof.

If it was enclosed it would count…correct

thanx

That does not count since it is NOT structurally attached to the main roof structure and it is NOT living space. I would agree with Eric.

That roof should not be included in the roof geometry. If it was enclosed, living space or not, it would be included in the calculation.

Where did you get that from?

Now, would you include it in the roof covering section?

I wouldn’t include it only because I’m not including it in the “roof geometry” section. That’s the way I interpret it. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Thanks,
Bert

Measure? I just take a video of the house and Pilar Halstead fills out the form…it super easy! Best thing is I tell them I will give them $85 an inspection and then just keep the money, they are used to it…:wink:

If you referring to the living space or not statement, an enclosed porch would be included in the roof sketch (glazed windows). As far as I can tell, it makes no mention of whether it is heated or not. What say you?

If it is a patio roof not structurally connected…

does not appear (by pics) to be part of roof truss system, appears to be an enclosed patio and not structural to the roof system. I would not count it. again, based on the pics only.

To clarify my answer, according to the form, I would mark it as a metal roof on the roof coverings section.*Select **all *roof covering types in use.

The problem here is that now, we are going to need permit information for the addition/metal roof. Then again, that isn’t my problem. Hopefully, they pulled a permit for this.
If not, box C will be checked.

On the roof geometry section, I would mark it as a hip roof as *according to the form, the metal roof is excluded.Do not consider roofs of porches or carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of the host structure over unenclosed space in the determination of roof perimeter or roof area for roof geometry classification

It only looks like it is 12-14 feet long so that gives you a roof perimeter of 140 feet to work with if you did include it.

I think there will be a direct answer in the updated nachi course.

I am pretty sure there is already. Although, I think some of the pictures are labeled wrong.

A screened in porch is considered an unenclosed space. Enclosed classification would require standard wall cladding with glass windows. On the new form, any enclosed porch roof (attached or not) is included in the roof geometry, and I would include in the roof cover also. I am still not sure about including roof cover for a not-attached unenclosed porch or carport. I think some sort of official statement needs to be made on that.

There are NO official statements on Wind Mit forms.