Deck Nailing Question On An Older Home

Hard to explain but a 1930’s home. Originally had dimensional decking and at one point was converted to plywood. Whoever did it left in the dimensional lumber every foot or two and nailed the plywood to it. This roof was just redone and re-nailed but this leaves a 3/4" gap between the plywood and rafters. Does the re-nailing credit count even though the 8d ring shanks only penetrate an inch or so. Hopefully the pictures clarify.

I think it likely had shake shingles originally. Oh by the way I am not sure if it counts or not. It would seem to meet the definition of C but it would clearly have less uplift resistance that way due to depth of nails. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm. Was it permitted?

Permitted by one of the better roofers. He overnailed it as best he could. That’s what I was wondering. Probably shakes huh?

I would think not, especially the way they missed the rafters. But, only an engineer could tell for sure.

He mike, what’s a permit, anyway?

This is an other roof. Plywood with battens. If the company wishes to give C then so be it. Was originally a wood shake roof way back when.

In my experience that is likely.

Thanks for the input all.

Well according to the 14 hrs continuing education I just finished…:smiley: Hope you are doing well Bill.

There is no Other answer in question 3 :smiley: But we know what you mean.

Maybe should have used longer nails to compensate?

The plywood sheathing layer is supposed to be nailed into the battens, not the trusses. Either way it would be “A” in my book. (Batten decking - weakest RDA).

Question 3, “E” Other. May want to brush up MM.

Thats funny because I looked before I posted and my dumb a s s did not think to look at the next page :slight_smile: I never said I was right ALL THE TIME :smiley:

Mike - thanks for asking. Doing well. We still have our meetings the second Tuesday of the month if you want to come.

Good answer Wayne;-)

Thanks Bill. I’ll keep it in mind. My little one takes up most of my free time and I must say it is pretty fun. I need to take advantage of it while she still likes me :slight_smile: She is only 8. I am afraid of the teenage years.

Although this sounds like a good answer, it is not allowed when there is a gap between two structural members. It would require a shim at each nail.:twisted: Those battens should have been removed before installing the plywood. Then it would be “C” nailing.

Or, install wood in between the battens to make a “double-deck”. Which when renailed, would give you a “C”.

As Bill said, since they missed most of the nails anyway, I seem to remember reading about more than four nails per 48 inches missing somewhere…, it would be an “A” in it’s current configuration.

And if I were doing the home inspection, there would be bigger problems to cure… :wink: :wink:

Had they used 10d nails and hit the rafters every 6" then I would give them “C”