FBC for roof

please read the following email and let me know what you think

Hello Mr. Dolin, thank you for sending the attached revised mitigation inspection. Please note that I have spoken to a representative of Olympus Insurance Company. They require the product approval # to apply the FBC (Florida Building Code) credit to homes built prior to 3/1/2002 in Palm Beach County. Please complete that on page one of the mitigation inspection and forward to me. Please note that without the product approval # Olympus will not be able to add the FBC credit. I checked with our other insurance companies and they also require this information. Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me with questions.

i WOULD EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT RIGHT AND YOU ARE GOING TO INFORM YOUr CLIENT TO FILE AN IMMEDIATE COMPLAINT WITH THE o.i.r.

Damn Caps.

Never take their made up crap. Give em hell. For you clients sake. I would even add that you were going to file an immediate complaint as well.

Rather then flying off the handle like another inspector as just advised you to do. I would call the insurance company and ask them why they feel that information is required. It may only be a mis communication issue. After they have told you what information they need need you could explain the form to them and it’s requirements.

Read this:

The insurer may ask additional questions regarding the mitigated feature(s) verified on this form.

Contact the insurance company to see if they will accept other verification. You may have to have the homeowner contact the building department to get the information from possibly the permits or the plans.

I stick to my guns. Fight or get rolled over.

Lets face it…the insurance companies just don’t want to write insurance in Florida and will look for any excuse not to write a policy on a home they think is a risk. This is just anther vehicle for them to not write on older homes, they are cherry picking!

Precisley why I argued to have that mistake removed from the final draft of the form.

It causes confusion.

It is also law that they must accept the form from a qualified inspector. Just because they can ask for additional information does not mean they can reinterpret what the form says is acceptable proof.

I would let them know the next letter was going straight to the O.I.R.

What good would it do?
I have always tried to solve my clients problems…not create more.

Fred,
Didn’t I say that a few months back? :mrgreen:

Every time I have dealt with them in that manner it stops the bullcrap.

You cannot argue with results.

iF YOU DO NOT GO TO BAT FOR YOUR CLIENT NO ONE WILL.

just send em the product approval

how would you suggest I get a product approval number for a home built in 1998

Not getting this. Product approval for what? Did you give credit for a roof without documentation? More info needed.

Agreed.

If this is still the original roof then it is no wonder they won’t more info.

If they pulled a permit, the noa will be on file at the building department.

Without knowing what your selections on the form were, I’m assuming roof. If you gave credit for a roof meeting 02 FBC in Palm Beach and it was built in 1998 and its still the original roof and has not been replaced via permit, then you will need to amend the report. If you gave credit for the house being built to 02 FBC in palm beach and built in 1998, then you will need to amend the report.

so please forgive my ignorance, but I am not giving credit for 2002 fbc, but i am showing that it complies with the fbc at time of installation 1996 based on permit application with the county.
It does not state in the roof section that it has to comply with 02 code only code at time of installation. Am I wrong with this?
it asks for fbc at time of installation OR permit application date after 2002, it is up to the underwriter to determine what credit is given. I am just filling out the form based on the information available and the questions asked. I realize that the previous forms wanted to know if it was permitted after 03/02 but that is not what the form states now

I do not believe you will win this one.

The O.I.R. may have it worded wrong like most other things on the form but that does not stop them.

Unless it was built to the 2001FBC code or greater in Palm Beach “they” would consider it D

so how would you fill the form? are you checking non compliance unless it meets 02 code? What they consider it is not up to me, I just want to fill the form out correctly.

It is the 01 code the 01 code went into effect in 02 and I would mark D.

There may be other opinions as there usually is.