Feb 28, 2002

If the original permit of a house is shortly before 3/1/02 and the owner wants to PROVE that it qualifies for FBC 2001 what can they do?

Would they go back to the contractor and ask them to fill out question 1 of the 1802? Maybe have the builder write a letter?

Thanks

No, you would need a letter from the engineer of record. They permitted homes before the code change because they did not want to deal with the changes. When the code changes sometimes the plans get kicked back because the designer is not sure how the plans examiner is going to interpret the plan.

1. Building Code: Was the structure built in compliance with the Florida Building Code (FBC 2001 or later) OR for homes located in
    the HVHZ (Miami-Dade or Broward counties), South Florida Building Code (SFBC-94)?

No.

And, the standard reply I have gotten is, “How can a structure meet a code, that wasn’t adopted?”

I have been able to get the roof deck nailing credit by exposing the nails, but as far as question 1 goes, no dice.

If you knew what the code changes were going to be you could simply design and build to that code

“Could”. :wink:

And, I know of several homes in Boca that were built to the 94 code for Dade and Broward as some of the Builders thought it was going to be Statewide.
In fact, the homeowner had the plans to the home and couldn’t get credit for question 1.

Being the cynic that I am, I believe that question 1 on the form is worded exactly how the insurance industry wants it worded for the specific purpose of denying discounts for homes permitted pre-FBC. If I am not mistaken, (please chime in any Hooperites-(Mr. Sheppard, etcc). to provide enlightenment/clarification for us lowly home inspectors), homes permitted under the 1997 or 1994 editions of the SBCCI (Southern Standard Building Code) were designed using the SSTD-10 wind loading standards. Again, if I am not mistaken, that standard (SSTD-10) used sustained wind loads as opposed to the 3 second gust wind loading of the original FBC. If that is in fact the case, (please clarify for me Mr. Sheppard), then homes designed and permitted under the SBCCI and SSTD-10 design standards may actually be more wind resistant/stronger than homes permitted under the newer FBC. Of course, that scenario, if verified and implemented into the form would cost the insurance industry additional $ in discounts for homes built prior to the FBC that were constructed in accordance with the wind loading requirements of the SSTD-10 design standards. I believe that the bigger issue is that the state did not have a statewide uniform code prior to the FBC. I am citing the 97 and 94 editions of the SBCCI as an example simply because that was the code in effect in my area of Florida pre FBC.

Bingo… :wink:

From the 1802 version 2/2010:

I have had the opposite experience. They had the plans drawn in Miami and built in Melbourne. That was a selling point for the builder.

The only way they could prove compliance with the FBC, is if the architect of record, wrote on the plans: “Designed in compliance with FBC 2001” or words to that effect. The designer of record, not the builder, is the only one that could supply that info. but be aware that most times these buildings were not built to the new code. The building departments were inundated with plans leading up to the cutoff date, as if you got the plans in, on or before that date, regardless of when it was approved, it was only necessary to comply with the earlier code.
Most of these building plans are obtainable, usually for a fee, from the appropriate building department archives.

Mr. Taylor is correct.

If you take the 1997 SBC and the 2001 FBC and place them side by side you will see that they are identical. Each section, each number, word for word. Only difference is, the HVHZ was added to the 2001 at the end of each section called HVHZ. The HVHZ is the Broward County Edition of the SFBC.

The 2001 FBC tells you this on page iii at the bottom under, “Development” in the beginning.

In fact there were very little changes between the 1994 SBC and the 1997 SBC. They are almost word for word.

Florida was required to adopt the SSTD10 and SSTD12 in 1994 which is based on the same wind design criteria as the 2004 FBC, (sustained wind verses 3 second gust). The 2001 was based on 3 second gusts.

Therefore, the 1994 SBC, 1997 SBC, and the 2004 FBC are the same.

So, with the exception of a small area of the State that used the EPCOT code, (Disney), the weakest code between 1994 and 2015 in the State of Florida is the 2001 FBC.

The purpose of developing the FBC was not to make a stronger code, it was for enforcement of the code, as the storm of 1992 showed us that there was little to no enforcement in areas or uneven enforcement in others. One State, One Code. Before the 2001 was adopted each building department could have their own amendments. That is no longer allowed and all amendments must go through the Florida Building Commission and if approved are State wide. One State Code.

Unfortunately the 1802 has become a photographer / permit verifying inspection report due to the lack of understanding of the intent and inability to read English. Just because something has a permit for say, 2007, does not mean it met the code. The code tells us this too. To determine that, you would have to actually look at it and know what the code required, and then compare. Really not hard to do at all.

If the structure followed the 1994 and 1997 SBC anywhere in the State and SSTD10 and SSTD12 were used as required, then the Standard Building Code permitted structures throughout the State from 1994 up until 2001 exceed the 2001 FBC and are equal to the 2004 FBC. “Check A”

But then Steve was a Building Official, so he knew that.

Jeff G Hooper