The latest from Citizens

Personal Lines Underwriting Clarifications Regarding Agent Technical Bulletin #015-12
IE #015-12 – November 27, 2012

This bulletin contains important underwriting clarifications of Agent Technical Bulletin #015-12: Personal Residential Rules, Forms and Systems Changes.

Key Points:

· Any policy rewritten as new business must requalify for coverage.
· For any home more than 30 years old, a four-point inspection form must be submitted with a new-business application, including rewrites.
· We urge agents to have their inspectors conducting the four-point inspection use Citizens’ 4-Point Inspection—Personal Lines form (Citizens - Insp4pt 09 12-Revised) because it is tailored to our new-business applications and includes instructions for completion. If an alternate form is used, the following minimum criteria must be met:
· A verifiable Florida-licensed inspector must perform the inspection and sign the inspection form.
· The date of the inspection must be within the last 12 months prior to the new-business application submission date.
· The inspector must provide the age, type and condition of the electrical wiring, roof, heating and plumbing systems.
· Photos must be supplied, meeting all the photo requirements outlined on the Citizens’ 4-Point Inspection—Personal Lines form.
· If the inspector does not include the required photos, the agent can provide them.
· Any serious hazards or deficiencies (e.g., blown fuses, empty breaker sockets, loose or exposed wiring, active leaks or evidence of plumbing leaks) must be repaired prior to submitting any application for coverage.

Additional Points of Clarification

Roof Condition
The roof age and condition rules have not changed. Refer to the Rules of Practice under each product line on our website. What has changed is that Citizens no longer accepts the Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form for documentation of roof condition.

Additionally, for homes more than 30 years old, one of the following documents must be submitted to prove the condition of the roof:

· Citizens’ revised Roof Condition Certification Form (CIT-RCF-1 09 12)
· Note: Two photos of the roof must be included.
· Citizens’ 4-Point Inspection—Personal Lines form
· Note: Two photos of the roof must be included, and that section of the form must be completed.
· An alternate inspection form that contains the same information as either of the two forms above.

The form must be dated within the last 12 months prior to the new-business submission date and signed by a verifiable Florida-licensed professional.

Roof Replacement
For homes more than 30 years old, one of the following documents must be submitted to provide proof of full-roof replacement:

· Receipts indicating a full-roof replacement by a verifiable Florida-licensed professional
· A completed roofing contract indicating a full-roof replacement
· A Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form (OIR-B1-1802), but only if the Florida-licensed professional clearly states the entire roof has been replaced and provides the date of replacement

Figures

Too funny…You notice they are not giving out 30 day repair riders after closing anymore. Buyers of banked owned property are dashing about trying to get noted deficiencies repaired. I have clients paying out of there pockets for repairs on a home they don’t own yet. On top of all that The buyers aren’t aware of any problems until a few days before closing. what a racket…

Best yet - the bold section states that a UMVI form would suffice for the roof inspection (if the inspector says it was replaced - Under “Additional Points of Clarification” it says that
“What has changed is that Citizens no longer accepts the Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form for documentation of roof condition.”

Uhhh, conflicting information within the same bulletin!!

Based on this, it appears as though the “Roof Condition” (2 page) inspection no longer serves any purpose…? Do you guys read that as well?

Unless, “receipts indicating…” - can be interpreted to include when you can get county permit info showing a licensed professional did the work (hope that’s clear)? What do you think?

Two things here: Citizens will not accept a UMVI inspection as proof of the condition of the roof, Secondly I have seen many instances where Citizens has refused to accept a receipt or completed contract as proof of replacement.

As we know the requirement for an inspection of the condition is based on roofs over 25 years old - it seems that many in underwriting interpret that to mean a HOUSE over 25 years old.

What I got out of this, was that if the home is more than 30 years old, you have to replace the roof!

I guess this is “all part of the plan”.:twisted:

Only proof acceptable to most is passed final roofing inspection.

I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH THAT AS PROOF :slight_smile:

Again just my opinion but fact as far as my experience :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I didn’t see anything new.

Was thinking this too…

I completed a 4 Point Inspection for Citizens, there wasn’t a P-trap under the bathroom sink. Is that considered a Plumbing Deficiency or should I just note it as a Hazard?

Become a member and someone will likely tell you :slight_smile:

Is it a deficiency in a home inspection? If I remember correctly, the form states “all deficiencies”, so there is your answer. If you are using another form, even the tower hill form, it asks for pictures of the drain line, so I think the proverbial cat is out of the bag. Tell the client to get the p-trap installed and take a picture of it when it is done.

Was there a bucket under the missing P-trap?

It could be the latest in Green building design.

Just shut off the toilet supply, lift up the toilet tank lid, and fill’er up with water from the sink bucket. Instant green building design!

Think of all the water that could be saved flushing with the same water you brushed your teeth with. Just don’t try it the other way around. :mrgreen:

Take it several steps farther, Jay, and piss outside all the time.

Now you are conserving water!:slight_smile:

A hazard is a situation that poses a level of threat to life, health, property or environment. How can that NOT be a deficiency?

No disrespect because asking questions is how we all learn (here comes the but) BUT if you have to ask that basic kind of plumbing question you at least need to become a member of this association take all the necessary on line courses (plumbing) past all the test and get a few weeks or months of riding with a seasoned inspector to learn something as basic as that. Good luck and strive to become great at what you want to do for a living.

If you lack basic construction knowledge, how can you be an inspector? Baffels me. Taking a test does not make you an inspector.