Latest Wind Mitigation Legislation.

Take InterNACHI’s free, online Wind Mitigation Inspection course now.

Thanks for the update

I just quickly reviewed it and sure do not like it. It looks like they are trying to let just about anyone complete a wind mit. What do you all think will happen to the prices then?

I will review in full early next week. I think the only person that should be able to sign the form is the one who does it. Any other way the money will be in someone else’s hands.

He or She who inspects it signs it Period. They also need to get rid of the part that says whoever the insurance people want can do it. Keep it the way it is was with rev -7/07 or there won’t be any reason to do them.

If everyone can do them they will get done for free. Doesn’t that argument sound familiar.

I took it once when you first offered it and could not get a certificate or anything.
Has that changed?

It looked just like the manual from the MSFH program.

1: I am curious Who wrote the course?
2: What are their credentials?
3: Where do they live “Just the State”?
4: Have they ever performed a Florida Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection?

I would like detailed answers to the above 4 questions please.

1. InterNACHI.
  2. Largest inspection trade association in Florida and the world with more approvals and accreditations for their inspection courses that all other associations, schools and sources combined (see right column of www.nachi.org/education.htm).
  3. Corporations aren’t alive, but InterNACHI has directors, staff, volunteers, contributors and members around the globe.
  4. No, InterNACHI does not perform inspections.

O.K. That is was it seemed like and what I thought. Thanks for the info. I think that is same type of thing the O.I.R. is saying about the form they created. except they replace The Office Of Insurance Regulation where InterNACHI is. Attention O.I.R. Have a person create a form we can use.:mrgreen:

Most of the training including Nachi lack a direct correlation between the wind mitigation class and the form.

A reference is needed for the form. What is acceptable and what is not. The MSFH program did most of that but never put it in writing. Everyone who left a class got a little different version and every class had a different spin on it. With nothing to refer to it is all just opinion and best guesses.

The new form is a bit more specific but not exactly clear.

Exactally what I am saying. It is all opinions. We all know what opinions are like.

Okay. so for those of us who came in late today and just saw these posts. what exactly are we looking at now. Are we going to be able to do the wind mits under Internachi # if we take the training? Are we going to be able to once we are licensed?

Would make it real easy if they would like those who know how to do this do it.

Look forward to everyone’s response.

The professional InterNACHI home inspectors who proudly offer outstanding services to their clients don’t have to resort to lowballing, tricks and conflicts of interest to simply make a dollar while trashing other home inspectors.

Thank you Nick for the update and your hard work in Florida.

Jeff Tatlock
BEACHSIDE Home Inspection
Serving Brevard County FL. Areas include Cape Canaveral, Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, Viera, Melbourne.
www.beachsideinspection.com

Jeff ,
I was referring to the part about the insurance agency being able to hire anyone THEY see fit. Yes it will do exactly what many InterNACHI members feel will happen if G.C.'s are allowed to do home inspections. I think the qualifications needed should stay as they are on rev (07/07) if they do not then that many more people will be able to do them and the prices WILL drop. Yes that would benefit me if things stayed as they are but it would also help the many people who currently are InterNACHI members that are allowed to do them keep doing them. If it is changed to where the one signing the form is not the one who does the inspection there will be an over abundance of little guys who do not give a sh-t doing them for the big companies who do not give a sh-it. But then hey if it is going to be good for me the Evil Contractor it must just suck as an idea.

Home inspectors should be able to do them with proper training after we are licensed. IMHO.

I would not fight it but it would benefit me if they were not able to. If I were to say anything else it would be dishonest. At least the way it currently is I and any of the Home Inspectors I work with would still be able to make money. Add over 1000 Internachi members and 1000’s more non InterNACHI inspectors, then the people the insurance agencies give the OK to then the huge inspections companies who will just sign off the forms for any idiot. Then tell me any of us will make any money at it.

Mr. Meeker,

While I appreciate your honesty, we fundamentally disagree. To merely protect ‘one’s own’ is damaging to our clients, our profession and I believe, contrary the InterNACHI association code of ethics.
A common misconception, especially in today’s society, is that free market competition is a bad thing, and services are best governed by legacy or special interests. Such stove piping protectionism stifles quality, reduces value and promotes cronyism, all of which are detrimental to the consumer.

Home inspection is a professional service and, with an association like InterNACHI, one with exceptional standards, ethics and educational resources / requirements. Cost is only a component of our service and arguably the least significant, relatively, when ‘value’ is evaluated. While, as in any business, you may occasionally loose customers to the lowballer (someone who knowingly prices services significantly below competitors only to gain business they may not otherwise merit) or special interest (someone who artificially stacks the deck in their favor), professionals with respect for their profession and fellow professionals will gain clients by providing exceptional service that justify at least industry average and often premium compensation.

It is my opinion, we work for the best interest of our clients, in accordance with our standards of practice, code of ethics and state regulations, not for the interests of insurance companies, real estate sales agents or compromising our profession to make a buck. Properly motivated and trained InterNACHI inspectors can and should perform Wind Mitigation inspections. It is good for our clients and our profession.

Jeff Tatlock
BEACHSIDE Home Inspection
Serving Brevard County FL. Areas include Cape Canaveral, Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, Viera, Melbourne.
www.beachsideinspection.com/frequently_asked_questions

just to be clear:

That was in response to; will home inspectors be allowed to do them. After reading the law.

I do not think ANYONE should do them until they have been trained. GC, inspector or any other. I believe that the most mistakes come from those without any training in the subject. Second would be out right laziness and third would be fraud.

I said after we are licensed because I will get my home inspector license also.

Quote-- Properly motivated and trained InterNACHI inspectors can and should perform Wind Mitigation inspections. It is good for our clients and our profession.

While I believe they could weather they should or not is not up to me. It would personally hurt my business and those in the same boat as me. I am not saying anything about it either way just that it would hurt my situation and for that statement I offer no apologies. I am not contributing in any way on who the state decides can do them and I will trudge along either way. I am just trying to show the whole picture with regards to what will likely happen to prices of the inspections if more people are allowed to do them. I to will be obtaining a Home Inspection License if the state decides we must have them. Myself I would rather the State goes home on that subject because it is going to be a pain in the a-s and cost us all more money. If I had my way there would be no licensing requirements and the consumer could make up their own mind as what qualifies a person.

The people designing this form agreeing to it’s design and deciding to implement it all have vested interest so who can blame Mr. Meeker, I want to be able to sign it for the same reason he doesn’t want me to be able to. Contractor or not this form asks questions which are of an enginneering nature so I don’t believe anyone who is not should be able to sign it in it’s current form. It could have been much simpler. It’s not, and it was designed to hang the people who do the inspections and eliminate the reduction credits for the homeowners and that’s the fact Jack.

If you are an engineer I am not against you doing an inspection. I just do not want you to be able to sign off on some hacks inspection. I agree with everything else you have stated.

It’s not, and it was designed to hang the people who do the inspections and eliminate the reduction credits for the homeowners and that’s the fact Jack.

Well put, Brian.