Low water flow

(Posted this in plumbing section as well but hoping to get a quick reply so posting here as well - hope this is ok)

Hi guys -

I’m in the process of closing (my inspection period just started) on a foreclosure. 1969, one story, three bed/bath, 1700 sqft home in Florida. Had the water turned on yesterday and noted modest (yet sufficient) flow from all of the faucets - with the exception of one bathroom sink. This faucet (cold side - hot water heater is turned off…) started out with good flow but shortly became a rather weak flow (almost a trickle but not that bad…).

So, I’m hoping that this doesn’t indicate major costly repairs down the road…

The second picture I believe is of that sink’s supply. The first picture I recall to be another bathroom, and the third picture yet another bathroom sink (to my best recollection as I took the pics a while ago). It appears as that particular sink is galvanized piping supply (as does another sink - with the third maybe copper?)

I am aware that internal corrosion might be a cause if it is galvanized.

My question/s is/are:

**What might be causing this?

If it is internal pipe corrosion - what are the remedies and associated ball-park costs to fix?

Should I call a plumber to evaluate this with some type of specialized equipment?**

I’m on a tight budget and don’t want to lose my shirt.

Thank you so much for your time and any ideas you may have -

Andy

061 (Copy).JPG

063 (Copy).JPG

073 (Copy).JPG

Sounds like galvanised pipe rusting from the inside slowing the flow .

Thank you Roy -

If one sink’s supply had this issue, the others may likely be heading that way I’m thinking. If possible, could this one line be repaired/replaced and the others perhaps given some type of preventative measures to stop this from happening (as it hasn’t appeared to yet…) - or is this an issue where I should budget to re-plumb the whole home in your opinion?

Thanks!

** **Galvanised pipe is well past its normal life.
Recommend complete replacement by a qualified person .
It is not a case of will it leak but when it will leak.

Appreciate it very much Roy - I was hoping that wasn’t the case.

Additional opinions welcomed :slight_smile:

One of the photos appeared to have copper piping under a sink. If yes, that may imply that some sections of the original galvanized piping may have been replaced at some time in the past- likely due to corrosion and restricted water flow. I would budget for a repipe of the entire home. You may also want to check the water service pipe as well.

How can it be (almost a trickle but not that bad…)?

Did you only turn on the cold water there because the hot water was not on?

The very first thing you may want to try is to take off the aerator on the front and check for debris.

If it started fine then got a problem perhaps something came down the line from being not used for some time and clogged the screen.

Please do let me know if that helps.

Andrew,

You may wish to get a local peer to go over your house for you in return for a similar favor in the future.

You should be aware that your attachment to the future house and your desire to get it may cloud your objectivity and you may overlook something major just cause you want it so bad. Example:(almost a trickle but not that bad…) It could be real bad and you are spending your hard earned money. Real hard earned :slight_smile: Get a plumber friend to really check things out.
It is a real s h i t t y situation to get into a house that you are just able to get into and not have the resources to get it up to par. As the owner of a late 50’s house I am sure you are going to have a great many homeowner specials as you start doing things. Things will likely be fixed or built / installed with whatever was on hand at the time. Back in the day most folks just got the job done with what they had and what “they” figured was good enough. Best of luck to you with your new home. Will this be a primary residence or an investment property? Please remember to get another set of qualified eyes just to check. Others will not be blinded by your love or desire for the home. PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS OUT.

On a similar note how often do you all clean those things on your own faucets.

I have notices green algae buildup on mine and wonder if it is from the public water supply not having enough chemicals.

If not what could be causing this?

I have never heard folks say make sure you disassemble your faucets and clean this regularly but mine sure seems to require this.

They are all new fixtures so that is why I question public water supply.

Any tips ideas or suggestions on that issue would be appreciated.

I was out to the house for some more thorough testing… It seems as though the problem is more widespread than one sink. One toilet doesn’t fill, another is very slow to fill, and the shower in that bathroom is way low flow as well. On the other hand, the sink which you noted to be copper seems ok as well as the kitchen sink (not in above picks), and the shower in the bath room with the copper piped sink. It seems like that bathroom and maybe the kitchen may have been redone maybe?.. So, pretty much what you were guessing I think.

If that’s the case, perhaps it won’t be necessary to do quite the whole home - say maybe 70% of it? We’ll see…

I’m guessing I’m going to call one or more plumbers to come and evaluate the issue.

If I did need to redo the whole home, given the house specs I described - please anyone feel free to give me ballpark figures as to what they guess it may cost… I’ve heard 3500-4000 from one friend, and 5000 from another as their opinions. Does that sound about right for the job? (Central Florida - north of Tampa).

Thanks -

In Jacksonville, that job would run 3-5K depending on use of a reputable and licensed company as well as other factors with layout/access, etcc… I would probably replace the copper as well while they are there. Depending on the age of the copper, It can be problematic as well with developing “pin hole leaks”. If you are going to re-pipe, you might as well do it all at one time while they are there.

How can it be (almost a trickle but not that bad…)?Well, I meant not “drip, drip, drip…”, it’s still a stream but not a drip - poor wording.

Did you only turn on the cold water there because the hot water was not on?
That’s kinda a weird part… I turned the hot on but nothing much came out. I need to look at the hot side more, but on re-testing last night, the h2o heater had been energized by the power company - and even still very low to no flow on that line…

The very first thing you may want to try is to take off the aerator on the front and check for debris.
I wish it was a debris thing but judging on how quick it came out in the beginning and then slowed, and how the toilets are doing the same - I’m afraid the signs seem to point to the pipes.

If it started fine then got a problem perhaps something came down the line from being not used for some time and clogged the screen.

Please do let me know if that helps.
I’ll be sure to post when solved. :slight_smile:

Andrew,

You may wish to get a local peer to go over your house for you in return for a similar favor in the future.

You should be aware that your attachment to the future house and your desire to get it may cloud your objectivity and you may overlook something major just cause you want it so bad. Example:sad:almost a trickle but not that bad…) It could be real bad and you are spending your hard earned money. Real hard earned :smile: Get a plumber friend to really check things out.
It is a real s h i t t y situation to get into a house that you are just able to get into and not have the resources to get it up to par. As the owner of a late 50’s house I am sure you are going to have a great many homeowner specials as you start doing things. Things will likely be fixed or built / installed with whatever was on hand at the time. Back in the day most folks just got the job done with what they had and what “they” figured was good enough. Best of luck to you with your new home. Will this be a primary residence or an investment property? Primary Please remember to get another set of qualified eyes just to check. Others will not be blinded by your love or desire for the home. PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS OUT. Will do - and thanks for the advice. I appreciate your thoughtfulness Mike :slight_smile:

Exactly the info I’m seeking sir. Many thanks and Happy Holidays to you and yours :smiley:

Please, Please, Please do not do it 1/2 assed if you must do 70% do the whole thing and make sure it is done with permits and you have it documented so when and if you decide to sell you can prove what was done and that it was likely done right.

If you cannot afford to do things right you may be in over your head.

It will cost you much more to go back and do the 30% latter than the 30% it would cost now. start up set up delivery of materials etc… Way cheaper to do it all the first time instead of going back. PLEASE TRUST ME on that or ask the rest of these Guys.

It is like the guy that redoes his shingle roof and leaves the flat roof alone becase he has 3 years or so expected life. DO IT ALL AT ONCE.

Fair enough and sounds like great advice -

Do you agree that I may be looking at around 3500-5000? Easy flat access around this single story ranch home on terrazzo slab.

Also, on the topic of costs - what are your guesses for cost to replace the power box and three branch circuits… It’s a Zinsco and there appear to be 3/12 approximately branches that are aluminum judging by taking the panel cover off… I’ve heard friends say anywhere from 2-4k - sound about right?

(I should offer to set this house up to use for some NACHI tv courses :slight_smile: )

I have no Idea that is why i never give ever, ever give estimates to repair.

Each contractor will have different ideas, overhead, costs, equipment and labor.

get 4 or more guys to come out and ask for a WRITTEN description of what they claim they will do. That way you can compare Apples to Apples.

If it is not written then they are wasting your time.

Many will claim you need no permits because no one will see anything.

THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS IN THE LONG RUN even if the work is done correctly.

Remember the mighty 4 point inspection which I know you will need probably before you get insurance.

By the way congrats on the terrazzo if it is in good shape. i love the stuff. It is easy to keep clean as there are no grout lined and fun for kids to play with stuff that rolls. Matchbox cars are way more fun on that stuff than tile or carpet.

If it is stained or dirty it can really clean up nice.

I already gave you an estimate for the plumbing in the other thread.
For the electric, probably around $3K, which should cover any code requirements that have to be met (GFI, AFCI, etc.). Call an electrician. They will probably charge you for a service call, then possibly, refund that if you use them for the work. You may want to check into upgrading the service as well. Upgrade the whole system and not have to worry about it. If you have a main service disconnect, it is probably a Zinsco as well.