Opening Protection Clarification

Just want some opinions. Inspected a home with roll down shutters. All openings to the living space have shutters but the openings to the enclosed porch do not. In other words they installed the shutters inside the enclosed porch to cover the living space only and not the porch itself. The enclosed porch is under the home’s shingle roof and structure. Going by the form it states the “weakest form of wind borne debris protection installed on the structure” and doesn’t specify living space. My only issue is that I see many inspectors checking off that protection is present for all in the current situation. Am I wrong or isn’t the risk also present within the enclosed porch and not just the living space? If they were worried about living space then the garage would have been excluded. I just want to hear some opinions.

It’s a building code inspection, so that’s where we go for the answer:

R301.2.1.2 Protection of openings. **
Windows in buildings located in windborne debris regions shall have glazed openings protected from windborne debris. Glazed opening protection for windborne debris shall meet the requirements of the Large Missile Test of [ASTM E 1996](javascript:vo();), [ASTM E 1886](javascript:vo();), SSTD 12 or TAS 201,202 and 203 or [AAMA 506](javascript:vo():wink: referenced therein. Garage door glazed opening protection for windborne debris shall meet the requirements of an *app
ro**ved* impact resisting standard or ANSI/DASMA 115.

1. Opening in sunrooms, balconies or enclosed porches constructed under existing roofs or decks are not required to be protected provided the spaces are separated from the building interior by a wall and all openings in the separating wall are protected in accordance with this section. Such space shall be permitted to be designed as either partially enclosed or enclosed structures.

Thank you for the reference.

That reference also states that attic/gable vents must be covered. Does anyone ever consider that into the wind mitigation??

…it’s funny what happens when you start reading the code…

Thought of that, IMHO they should be.

1. Building Code: Was the structure built in compliance with…

The first sentence ends with a question mark, not a semi-colon. The permit doesn’t mean squat, it never did. If the permit was confirmation of the structure being complaint, what would they need an inspection for, they could just call the building department and do away with the whole failing program?

The minute you pick up that form you qualify yourself as a code inspector…heck, they are even listed on that from with you.

Should the soffit panels be protected too? Aren’t they open to the attic space, just like a gable vent?:wink:

I am not so sure the 1802 follows the code like some believe it does, but I do think that if the roof system for a porch was originally designed as partially enclosed, it will withstand a high wind event when the walls are breached. Why don’t we get a declaratory statement for that one.:twisted:

It doesn’t follow code, it picks and chooses its own.

Each question has code implications.

I was talking with another inspector a week or so ago about this very thing. We never got past question one.

Let’s try this one:

A is directly in conflict with the building code.

Parklands version:

Pembroke Pines:

If the roofer chooses B, which most do, they are compliant with the code, but no discounts will be given on the 1802.

…everything about that section of the 1802 is a building code violation during replacement of the roof coverings! And I have proven that here time and time again.

Good job Eric