Proof of Insurance for access to condo rooftop

Has anyone been required this and if so, how have you handled it. I simply don’t have the time to jump through all the hoops ( call insurance company and have faxes sent back and forth naming the condo association as a holder ). is there an easier way around this? I mean it doesn’t suffice to show em an insurance card.

Thanks,

Bert

I’d show them my insurance declaration page or just do a shutter inspection. Let them know that you are State licensed and not performing any work/repairs.

Thanks Nathan and Jay for the info. I called Riskpro and subsequently Hartford who I’m insured with and took care of it. The condominium wants license and insurance info. To think of all those times I’ve been on so many rooftops and the access hatch unlocked. I guess it’s something I’ll take care of the previous day when I know I’ll be going on a condo roof. When its sudden I guess I won’t go up thats all. Thanks again.

Bert

We have to provide it on a regular basis. The also typically want to make sure you carry worker’s comp so they are covered

N,

Roof access on a condo in Fort Pierce and Miami, FL is only to check the a/c condensing unit.

We do not do roof inspections on low, mid or high rise condos.

Part of our booking procedure is to tell the REA that we will need rooftop access and that THEY or the SELLER is responsible for arranging access. We remind them of this immediately upon arrival and then proceed to access the roof 1st thing. If locked, the REA has less than an hr to get it unlocked b4 we leave.

We find most of the mid and hi rise condo rooftops in Stuart, Fort Pierce and Vero Beach are unlocked anyway.

Yeap. I went on the roof today. Mainly as Pete said to check the condensing unit out (which happened to not be working). I also take a look at the roof covering. The buyers understand the condo association is responsible for the roof top but, appreciate the information I provide them on the condition. Here are a couple pictures from the one today. 5 story in Hialeah…Just so happens their unit is on the 5th floor and right underneath this area. The ceiling in their master bedroom shows signs of previous repairs.

Bert

Careful, Bert. You are crossing a distinct line. Did you take pics of the loose or corroded ext walkway railings? The deteriorating concrete balconies that you could not see on the other, ocean side of the building? The worn out machinery in the elevator equip rooms? The defective stucco? The antiquated, inoperable fire alarm system? The conditions of the parking lots, driveways and walkways?

Common area problems lead to expensive, unexpected assessments that YOU should have warned them about!

You’re absolutely right Pete. I happen to take those pictures and do comment of those items. Most importantly, I make sure they understand the fact they are now going to be living in a condominium and should at the very least, contact the association and ask questions regarding each ones responsibility with regard to those items you’ve raised. I also ask them to direct those same questions to their Realtor and seek the Realtor’s guidance as well.

Bert

I am sure you are also including testing the cooling tower water for Legionaire’s Disease as well.

I’ve been asked for it. The guy wanted to make sure if I damaged something I had insurance. I didn’t have a problem with it.

I do the same thing. If I see something up there that may be a potential or immediate concern I bring it to their attention. Otherwise they may never know until damage is done. The parking lot is something very obvious with so many people using it therefore it’s common access. Don’t think this falls outside the scope of our duty. It is visual,accessible and pertains to my client.

I agree. My rule of thumb is, if my client has to access it or comes in contact with it to and from their condo unit, then it is of concern to them.

It’s a completely different thing to assume responsibility for a common element such as a balcony railing. I am not responsible for its upkeep or repair if needed. But, I am sure going to inform my client if I determine its a hazard or a safety concern or could impact them adversely due to its deteriorated state or condition.

I can’t see the harm in doing so nor can I see where I would be held liable.

Bert

Bert, sounds like you are a LCSW!:stuck_out_tongue:

Fine. Just keep doing what you are doing, taking responsibility for items outside the scope of inspection.

This will catch up with you. Trying to be the all-caring ‘nice guy’ will cost you hard earned money.

Pete honestly, I’ve been doing the same thing for over 16 years now. So far it’s been working for me. Truthfully, rather than cost me money, believe it or not it’s made me money.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m not taking responsibility for anything. I’m informing the client and they are resposible and free to do or act as they see fit. It really is that simple.