Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Florida Inspectors

Notices

Florida Inspectors This is a place for Florida InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Florida inspection topics, wind mitigation inspections and 4-point inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7/2/13, 4:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Skylights / WMit.....

From this morning, had this house with skylights on a covered porch. No Hip credits on this place.
Question, IF THIS ROOF WAS a Hip credit with the perimeter of this porch is not calculated in total lineal footage, what box to check ? N/A or no opening protection for the SL's ? Are these counted only if in main body of the roof ?
Don't think I've ran into this setup before........
Attached Thumbnails
skylights-wmit-20130702_105337.jpg  

" Serving all of Southwest Florida "

15880 Summerlin Road 300-152
Fort Myers, Florida 33908
239 849 9401
Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/2/13, 5:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Skylights / WMit.....

If the flat roof was not structurally attached AND the flat roof was over an unenclosed area then I would mark "N/A" on the form assuming there were no other skylights.

Wagner Inspection Services, Inc.
Palm Beach County, Florida
561-965-6106
www.wagnerinspectionservices.com
Old 7/2/13, 6:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

There is no need to cover an opening that is not an opening in the house's structural envelope.

Visit the InterNACHI Awards page

John Shishilla
State of Fl Home Inspector #21
Certified Residential Contractor CRC1330745
Accredited Claims Adjuster (ACA)
Mold Assessor MRSA 1544
Pres of Fl Home & Insurance Inspectors Chptr
VP of Nachi Managment

Serving all of Melbourne, Palm Bay, Cocoa, Rockledge, Viera, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbor Beach, Indialantic and surrounding areas.

Honor Construction Inspection Service
www.honorconstruction.com

321-327-2950

Old 7/7/13, 3:48 PM
New User

Please Note: Jim Mullen is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpownall View Post
From this morning, had this house with skylights on a covered porch. No Hip credits on this place.
Question, IF THIS ROOF WAS a Hip credit with the perimeter of this porch is not calculated in total lineal footage, what box to check ? N/A or no opening protection for the SL's ? Are these counted only if in main body of the roof ?
Don't think I've ran into this setup before........
Greg,
Just from this one photo, this is considered a structural roof, as it appears to be tied in directly to the gable eaves, and the bituminous membrane on the flat deck laps under the shingles as it should in that case. I can't tell from the photo what the wall construction is, but my biggest concern would be the roof member to wall connections. If this roof fails completely in a high wind event, it will most likely take with it several rows of the main structure's shingles, potentially leaving the interior of the main structure exposed to the elements. (hence the importance of the connectors used)

Now.... as far the the insurer's perspective goes concerning just the skylights, I imagine it would matter as to what the fit-n-finish is underneath. If it were just an aluminum patio with bare cement floors, there is not much to damage therefore little to claim as far as water intrusion limited to just the patio area is concerned. (ie: if a skylight was shattered) This is purely speculation on my part, as I haven't a clue what goes through an underwriter's head sometimes....

Just curious.... is this an aluminum patio with maybe Elite panels for the roof that have been altered with the skylight cut-outs, then peel-n-stick applied over top? Hard to tell from the photo.