Wind Mit QOD: First one!

Finally an inspector asked a question on windmithelp@gmail.com

I decided to leave the post open so we can answer and discuss here is the question.

There is the email sent to us:

"The only paperwork found during the inspection was a piece of paper with this information. Which box is the applicable box to check?

Wind Mit help.jpg

Thanks in advance and this can be an awesome tool, I appreciate everything you guys do to make inspectors better."

I can’t read the attachment. I would like your opinion on the post I just posted if you have the time. I forgot about your awesome offer with the wind mit help.com.

I am ready for the abuse from the others and have already developed my thick hide :slight_smile:

Better picture is required.

Have him check the resize box

OK, sorry about that…I will see what I can do…

The picture reads:

"Alfab Hurrican Shutter Inc. has supplied and installed on all exterior openings Hurricane Panels in accordance with FBC 2001 edition.

Design wind loads are determined as per section 1606 of the above code for basic wind speed as required by the jurisdiction where installed.

The hurricane panel are capable for withstanding basic wind speeds of 130mph for a non-coastal zone"

no NOA, Miami-Dade?

No. Paperwork just says meets 2001 FBC and the installation date is 2004

As I fear will often be the case the question cannot be answered with the provided info. We need to know if there are any uncovered openings that are glazed (skylights, glass block, glazed garage doors, sidelights or entry glazed doors etc.) We also need to know a rating for the garage door or other exterior doors which are not covered.

With respect to the letter from the installer since no NOA or FBC is stated on the letter the best you could do was to check off N if all glazed openings have protection and then N1, N2, or N3 dependent upon what catagories the nonglazed fell into.

Nobody said it was gonna be easy, I’ll wait and see what others might say but this is how I would handle it ASSUMMING what I have. It might help to have the candidate asking the question to complete the form with all the photos and blank out the property info and his name. We kinda need to know the location in order to answer some of the questions.

Mike, did you spell head wrong?:stuck_out_tongue:

I am not going to deny that either :smiley:

Thanks for taking it in the way it was intended, there still may be hope for you after all.:smiley:

So given that info “thanks Preston” and lets say all glazed openings had protection. What would you say?

I would say the letter alone is not enough. The shutters should be looked at closely for a stamp. Chances are it would be there considering the letter states they were installed in 2004. I am assuming that is when the home was built and with that being said these shutter would be rated, so again look through the pile and find the shutter stamp. It will be there.

Well, if I could not verify (on the internet) that the shuters had any addittional attributes it would be N then N1, N2, or N3 dependent on the circumstances that have not been identified.

I can’t find that company.
They aren’t these guys are they: DCA06_BC_139

Yes!

That was what I was talking about . In my area there are a lot of jobbers, basically contractors licensed to install shutters that buy panels wholesale then cut to fit. The panels themselves may have been approved due to design specs and guage of thickness but are not actually approved through testing. They have no rating for impact because they have no testing for impact.

The state could decide to make life a lot simpler by allowing firms to rate and mark the shutters with a thickness scale that would create a grade of impact resistance but they have not done so… presumably that would impact the pocketbook of some fat cat.

Personally, if I could simply measure the thickness of a panel to determine the impact resistance with a micrometer it would make my life a lot easier. Depending on the material and design it would be simple to determine. No enginneer necessary.

So I am guessing that some company piece-mealed some shutters together, did it without a permit, and violated the NOA rating all at the same time.
No credit I guess…

Well, yeah I think it happens here Eric, I’d like others opinions on this too. Most of the installers here put some very nebulous info on the shutters in the package containing the hardware.