Wind Mit Question

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out. I did a wind mit on a townhouse built in 1980 a couple of months ago. Shortly after insurance company calls and tells me that her contractor that does all of her wind mits says that the building code should be A. Built in compliance with FBC 2001. How can this be? Am I off on something? I also got an email stating that section 3 should be marked C because “In 2007 the state of Florida changed codes where it is mandatory to use b or c for the nail pattern when replacing a roof.” That may be the case, but I think we all know that code isn’t always followed, and all I could locate were 6d nails. So I can’t verify what I can’t see.

So today I got a call from the client saying he was in the insurance office and was asked to sign something from another inspector (the insurance company’s guy) who did a separate wind mit.

Sounds kind of fishy to me, what do you guys think? And was I wrong to begin with?

It is fishy the contractor is on the take and likely submitting fake photos.

The insurance agent is scum.

Welcome to the world of insurance inspections.

There was no Florida Building Code prior to 2001. so the answer to the first question is “C” (unknown or doesn’t meet the requirements".

Section #3 is clear and simple. The roof deck attachment is whatever it is. You were in the attic, list the actual specs. The listed specs are quite clear, and the sheathing is whatever you determine it to be.

Why in the world would the other inspector need or ask you to sign their wind mit? That is confusing…

Dom.

confusing and fraudulent because he was NEVER there. Bust his a s s if you have the guts :slight_smile: I bet no matter what proof you have no one will do ANYTHING :frowning:

That’s what I thought guys. Just wanted to get other opinions. Dom, he wasn’t asking me to sign anything. My client was in the insurance office and they were asking him to sign something. I’m guessing the other inspector’s form. I haven’t been able to talk to my client, never answered the phone. I missed the call and called him back within 1 minute. I’m going think about busting his a s s Mike. How would I go about doing that?

Do you know the other inspectors name? If not it is a lost cause. I would call the insurance companies main office and tell them what was going on. I did it and nothing happened and I also told the OIR and InterNACHI cause a member was putting my name on his reports. NOTHING was done by anyone :frowning: I had the insurance guy even tell all that the guy gave him the report with my info and I was out of the country at the time.

So why did your client call you when he was with the insurance agent?
Do you know for sure the other so-called inspector was NOT at the property/in the attic, etc? If so, does your client know that & is OK with it?
I won’t ask if the agent knows any of this, he just wants a discountable WindMit so he can keep his customer not from shopping other agencies/carriers.

I’m not sure why my client called me. I only got a voicemail and called right back and have not been able to Get in touch with him all day. I’m not 100 percent sure that the other inspector wasn’t there. I’m about 98 percent sure, because I did a buyer inspection and the wind Mit at the same time and the house was vacant at the time, so either my client or his re agent would have had to let him in. I’m pretty sure that my client wanted to see if I was aware of any of this, judging by his voicemail. I am still trying to get ahold of him, and I will let you guys know the outcome.

It can’t be…1980 YB doesn’t comply with any code referenced on the 1802.

On the deck nailing, yes, after 10/01/2007 renailing is required at “C” spacing only, not “B”. BUT, since this is a Townhouse (separate ownership of the roof structure between homeowners), each roof covering may not be the same as the other units unless the whole roof was done under one permit. Summary…stick to your guns, because on a re-roof, you will always find a shiner somewhere.

I disagree whole heartily and it is asinine to belly crawl around risking your clients property and your safety looking. "how much time is to much spent looking and how far is to far to crawl in a low slope roof with 1 1/2 foot clearance?Wake the heck up…Shiners SHOULD NOT exist and having to show one is wrong. PERIOD.

It sounds like, the agent is referring to section 2 & 3 and is under the assumption that the roof was replaced, sometime after 2007.

Section 1 is year the structure built, which obviously can’t conform to a code that hadn’t been written yet.

Was there a permit? If so, it should tell you what year the roof was put on. That will make section 2 FBC compliant if after 2002. Also in the permit, there should be a roofing package which details the scope of work done, as in deck re-nailing.If that is present, then now, you would have proof to mark C on section 3.

It is why I always do a permit search prior to doing these inspections.

And I agree with Mike, the shiners are technically wrong and the fact that they are present is technically a code violation, which technically makes the installation non-code compliant…:wink:

Ok guys, thanks for all of the help. I have some updates that you may be interested in.

I also forgot to mention something that makes this more interesting. When I originally did the inspection, I did do a permit search. This particular city doesn’t have a look up online, so I emailed them and got a reply saying no permit info. So I marked unknown. Insurance agent emails me a screenshot from the city with permit info. How did they find it for her and not me? The city used the wrong address! Insurance agent didn’t notice and that’s what she was going off of. Talked to a friend of mine who is an insurance agent himself and told me I should email all of this to the agent in question. He also told me he knows said inspector and he won’t use him because of shady business practices.

So last night I sent insurance agent an email with a BCC to my client saying my report was correct and you had the wrong address, just wanted you to have all of this info (still have not been able to get in touch with client).

Called RE agent to let her know what’s going on also, because I don’t want my client to get denied coverage for having falsified information.

Get an email back from insurance agent just a little while ago saying “please come by the office and drop off some cards, would love to give you some business.”

What does everyone think about that? Maybe she just realized that her other inspector is a crook? Should I give her cards?

Absolutely! Give her cards and brochures, also try to do a 5-10 minute presentation.

More often than not, professionals will deal with other professionals who prove that they know what they are doing. Sooner or later, these inspections have a way of coming true, even if there was a “shady” inspector, or maybe, he just made a mistake.

Thanks Eric! I was thinking the same thing.

Give cards just do not do anything shady. Many times agents say things like oh well that does not matter to us we accept that
BUT

you just have to change your form. RED FLAG.

When they tell me they accept something or that it does not matter to them I always say great that will help your client when they ask me to change something I just LAUGH.