Student discussions of "How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, & Chimneys" course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI online course titled, "How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, and Chimneys."
Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Other inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

3 Likes

I am trying to take the course but can’t get passed the 1st page

1 Like

The course stated:

Factory-built or masonry fireplaces must be provided with an exterior air supply to assure proper fuel combustion unless the room is mechanically ventilated.

Normal masonry fireplaces require make up air from exterior of home???

Hi, Walter.

Please watch this 1-minute video on how to take our online courses: How to Start a Free Online Course - InterNACHI®

Ben, this course does not show up on the available courses on my transcript list.

Hm.
Give it another try.

Thanks Ben. It’s there now. I want to do this course before finishing my WETT training in December.

Baklava…

I keep getting directed to here, when trying to take this course. What am I doing incorrectly. I have just completed my Wett certification,and am in the process of doing training inspections.

After visiting the forum, close that tab or window to get back into the course and proceed.
Watch this 1-minute video How to Start a Free Online Course - InterNACHI®

incorrect answers for this question in the exam. see attached, should be re tucking

nachi.jpg

You are correct. I’ll fix the quiz question soon. Thank you.

Hi Ben,
The student material for chimney liners states that the total thickness should be 4". It says that since a brick is 3 5/8" this means the liner should be 5/8". That’s 4 1/4". What’s correct?

1 Like

Unable to open Student-Course-Material. PDF

What is the fix?

Hi, John. It actually doesn’t. InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Use a different browser. Allow pop-ups. Look inside your downloads folder for the PDF.

Will come back if I have questions.

I thought this was interesting.

The firebox walls are slanted to reflect heat energy into the room. This angle of the walls is referred to as "splay". Splay slope is usually 5 inches per foot. The sloped walls help direct smoke into the throat of the fireplace.

The fire extinguisher & fire types were hard to remember.

Good course for 4 credits.

I am about to begin, I think this will be very informative

Just finished the online course for fireplaces, etc… Great course, I was pleased that this course clarified some of the discussions we had in class.