Coating ID question

Had this on a condo building roof today.
Looked like TPO on first sight but had a rubbery elastomer feel close to that of silicone when freshly cured.

Appears sprayed on top of modified bitumen and the cathedral ceiling in the unit had some staining but this top coat may have just been put on.

Anyone familiar with the product ?
Again it seems to be elastomeric in nature and here a few shots.
(the one closeup was the only poorly done section I saw).

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Elastomeric. It looks like its been sprayed on. Check out GAF Tops, though there are several manufacturers. In the report, I would refer it as a “Commercial Restoration Coating”.

Thanks Reece.
Restoration coating sounds like it has a good ring to it,
as it’s to thick to be a reflective coating.

What bothers me is if restoration what the condition the old material is in and how long such a coating might last ?

Lets try it on some siding (half jokingly)

Fast image search got this link which as you say has various products.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Commercial/Products/Elastomeric_Liquid_Membranes_Coatings_Sealants_Adhesives/TOPCOAT

Doubt that is an elastomeric coating. Looks more like a EPDM or silicone liquid coating.

http://www.gacoretail.com/gacoroof.html

No was not epdm as that is thick and no coating needed.
60ish motel style on the
Lake.

IF it is a silicone there is an awful lot of it on there. Did you happen to notice if the appeared to be a fabric scrim embedded into the coating?

It looks brand new. Im not sure how the weather is up where you are but most Acrylic coatings can not be applied if temperatures reach below 50 degrees otherwise the water either wont evaporate out fast enough and it will remain gooey for days even weeks and will wash off in the rain or it will freeze creating visible fracturing in the coating. A silicone would not do this and can be applied in cold (approaching freezing ) weather. Silicones do not require a fabric scrim. A quality acrylic system would .

The wrinkling visible in the photo down the length of the roof is due to moisture intrusion, so this tells me that there were certainly failures in the existing roof . A coating may help and even solve for a period of time no matter what the chemical composition.
Nothing about these photos tells me anything is wrong, other than some shoddy workmanship. If it is a silicone you will start to see some “tobacco staining” through the coating in a year or so. That roof wont be bright white for long, but provided the leaks were fixed it will provide about 10-15 years of serviceable life.

My $.02

I doubt it was silicone based but who knows.
Just a quick knowledge tidbit here as I spent years experimenting with silicone as an artist.
Silicone actually cures faster with water as it does not cure from air.It picks up the humidity in the air and uses it to cure.
As an experiment of your own take a caulk gun and squirt some 100% product such as DAP into a bucket of water and watch how fast it cures.

I used to make silicone lamp shades with patterns and hang them directly on bare bulbs plus I would print out patches and seal them with silicone to wear on clothing,etc.

You can also make great flexible molds which can be used over and over again.

Silicone is a bad choice for brick and I recommend urethane based caulk because the silicone does not penetrate the masonry enough to provide a good grip.