Estimating The Age Of Asphalt Shingles?

I am a home inspector for about two years now in the Saint Louis area.

One thing I have had a very difficult time with while trying to constantly become a better inspector is estimating the age of the roof shingles, and it seems to be one of the most common questions I get.

I can obviously tell when shingles are at or near the end of their useful life and I can also tell when they are less than six months old or so but everywhere in the middle is very hard for me to be sure and I often try to guess if my client really wants to know (while also notifying them that I can in no way be certain) but I don’t want to have to guess at all.

How confident are some of you at estimating the shingle age and how do you do it and how do you express that to your client?

Some good info right here:

Hope it helps.

I tell them no more than you might have 2 or 5 ect years left.

You can check permits in many cities but at best we guess.
I have seen 20 year old roofs that look good and 8 year old roofs that are failing.

I personally would not say much beyond whether its in decent shape or not.

Exceptions are the roofs that even most homeowners would question.

I tend to agree with Paul.

There are so many factors… how many layers of shingles, exposure to sun, quality of shingles purchased, etc.

I just shingled my home last summer, and put on architectural shingles with a lifetime rating (actually I think the lifetime are the discontinued 40 year shingles).

But I would expect them to last much longer than a 20 year 3 tab shingle. But too many factors.

You can use a general time frame if you like:

Shingles appeared to be near beginning of life. (or you could say first half)

Shingles appeared to be at the midpoint of its useful life. (this is hard to tell exactly as shingles will remain somewhat unchanged for long periods of time)

Shingles appeared to be nearing the end of its useful life… or at the end of its useful life… or past the end of its useful life.

But for years - too many variables.

I tend to agree with Paul.

There are so many factors… how many layers of shingles, exposure to sun, quality of shingles purchased, etc.

I just shingled my home last summer, and put on architectural shingles with a lifetime rating (actually I think the lifetime are the discontinued 40 year shingles).

But I would expect them to last much longer than a 20 year 3 tab shingle. But too many factors.

You can use a general time frame if you like:

Shingles appeared to be near beginning of life. (or you could say first half)

Shingles appeared to be at the midpoint of its useful life. (this is hard to tell exactly as shingles will remain somewhat unchanged for long periods of time)

Shingles appeared to be nearing the end of its useful life… or at the end of its useful life… or past the end of its useful life.

But for years - too many variables.

I have been really good at estimating age of a roof, normally get within a year or two. Just comes from seeing many over the years. But its always a guess and I never say much more than approx. I have been off on some as some have had a rough life so you need to not say anything if your not sure. I never tell them how long it might last, period, never never.

I have had 3 tabs on mine for 20 yrs and they look better than half of the architectural’s that I have walked that are 15 yrs old and mine or over wood shakes, go figure.

I don’t want to hear that :o

But it does go to show estimating age can be difficult… one might think the architectural would be older than what you are saying they really are. Also yours would be likely guess as being younger, especially if laid on top of shakes. (although I have seen as many as four layers of asphalt shingles)

Next to HVAC roofs are my passion I have studied roof age from the beginning of my career. It is one of if not the most expensive concern of a home buyer. How old are the shingles is my most asked question. When I take my first step beyond the drip line (note I said beyond the drip line not from the ground) My # one thought is how old are the shingles and if I must say so my self I am very good at determining age I have had lots of practice which is a requirement. Its not something you learn from a book or by asking how on a chat board;-)

It is difficult for sure. I had on this weekend it looked to be 12-13 yrs old at least but the home was only 8 yrs old. :wink: I do inform the buyers of this and I explain the harsh conditions so most seem to understand it. Just need to be open and communicate.
Yes mine would be one of those that would make you think for a minute but there are always tell tale signs if you know what your looking at.

Worth repeating.

I never say what the age is of the roof, just how many more years I think it will last.

Hi Charley, how did you learn? Talking to roofers? Taking roofing courses? I feel that even if I think a roof is 15 years old on a 50 years old house, there is nobody that can give me the actual answer. I could be right on, or way off thinking for years that I’m doing great when in fact I’ve guess right less than half the time. Especially when old roof can look great and newer roof can look bad. I guess the best I can do is give a range and hope I fall within.

Any more info as to how you learn would be great. I want to be as good as possible.

Kyle,

Here in Missouri is common for the sewer vent boot to split around 12yr +/- 2yr. Its not an exact science, but I have found it to be fairly reliable. You also have to take into account the southern and western exposures deteriorate much faster.

First off in Okla I start with the disclosure sheet sellers are required to give the age of the shingles if known. If I meet the seller my first question is how old are the shingles if they know. Then I determine the quality of the shingle (Thickness) and determine the condition of the surface granules missing or still in good condition, if guttering is present I check the gutters for granules or on the ground if no gutters. On the ridge cap where the two ends meet in the middle the exposed nail heads if not sealed will have a degree of rust even on galvanized nails. I have been to numerous schools for roofing material none teach how to determine age. I basically use **comparison **as many roofs as I have inspected in the thousands I know based on Okla weather conditions what a 1 years old roof should look like what a 5 year old a 10 year old a 12 year old and so forth.

I live in the hail belt hail damage is always a big concern for me when inspecting and if there is hail damage did the seller file a claim and not make any repairs. I see this scenario quite often the buyer needs to know this

I am required to “estimate remaining useful life” on the 4 Point Insurance Report
(these additional reports are only a necessary evil if the home is 30 years or more).

Most Florida counties/cities are online to check for permits anyways.
If not, they have a system by fax, etc.
It’s a public disclosure law down here.

Bingo - that’s the way I do it to. The condition of black tar, caulking, on roofing nails, flashings, etc. is also another indicator.

That does not work in Okla we have roofers that don’t change the roof jacks they will even leave split boots on a new roof???

Yep!