this is for the experts

at the school where i work we had a new rooftop unit installed this past summer. its a flat rubber roof now when it rains the roof leaks. the unit sits on a 12-18 inch curb…any thoughts? if you need more info just ask

Most reptubale roofing companies warranty for leaks at least one year. Where does the condensate drain from the A/C unit discharge on the roof or to a scupper or roof drain. I have found leaks on the curbs at the corners due to improper wrap /sealing at the corners

BTW a roof leak on the ceiling does not necessarily mean the leak is directly above, it can be 50 feet from where it shows on the ceiling

1st Time Poster
with a worm…
and a Fish took the hook…

Wayne,
Have you contacted a qualified inspector that utilizes Thermography to assist with troubleshooting and isolating these leaks?
Charley and I among others routinely do these, have tools-will travel.
contact either if you need further info

images are of Charley in action and a condensate drain line leaking onto the roof instead of the proper drainage

IR_0117.jpg

IR_0122.jpg

I am sorry, but when it rain the roof leaks on a new roof needs no expert. It’s is improperly installed. It would be best to contact the installer ASAP, they have the right to make good on something that is not proper.

Now the problem arises. You paid the contractor, that money is long gone and now your asking them to repair a problem that is now COSTING them money. More often than not, they are much more inclined to patch the job and pray it gets past warranty.

Best thing to do, is find a professional inspector in your area to help out. Most likely one of your students has a parent that is an inspector. They are the most unbiased people you can find. They don’t make more or less money on their findings and they are not trying to sell you something…

Good luck…

I agree Barry and Charley
The area where the water is leaking does not mean it is leaking directly above and this would be a great way to troubleshoot to locate the entry point. The water infiltration could be 20+ feet away, and it may or may not be the roof covering itself, I’m sure there are other possible entry points.[FONT=Comic Sans MS]That’s why a professional is needed.[/FONT]

:):):):slight_smile:

I would ask the contractor come back and check and see if the curbing flashing and the unit are installed properly.

My guess would be since workers up there working on installing the unit, might have dropped screws, tools, parts, etc., and made pin holes in the rubber.
A garden hose to wet the surrounding area and let dry will reveal the puncture of the hole. Any small holes will show a wet ring around them when the area drys.

The last person to work on the roof, generally is held liable for leaks in that area of work. :slight_smile:

I concur with Mr. Barry Adair and Mr. Marcel Cyr.
You have been given advice from 2 of InterNACHI’S finest members.
I would contact the contractor and explain your story.

**Sorry for the edit.**Wayne
I thought it was a roofing company. I ad never heard of roofing company’s acting like this.:wink: Oppps
Ether/or, the installed system shouldn’t effect the building adversely.

Thank Marcel and Bob. I misinterpreted the thread.

The guy is talking about a school where he works.
They just had the job done yet advice is to send high priced IR guys on the job and have who pay for it ?

Has the contractor / Installer gone back to look yet ?

Giving advice to pay someone else and add up the costs for no reason other than to pad pockets is bad advice.

The way I read what the OP wrote, it was an HVAC contractor on the roof doing work installing a unit on an existing curb. Not a roofer.

The last one on the roof working is liable for the repairs unless proven otherwise.

Thanks Marcel.
I just picked up on the threads original complaint. I edited my post.

I’d give the contractor a chance to take care of it. As has already been mentioned, it might be installation, it might be damage from installing the unit, or from other work performed on the roof.
Contractors have to trust their employees to do a good job, and sometimes they don’t. Contractors with good reputations often want a chance to make good on something before outsiders get called in. It’s often fair to give them a shot at it.

Great words from a great INACHI member. A commendable post Kenton.