This is an interesting aluminum roof

I was driving down a side street and I saw this roof out of the corner of my eye on a house that was in the middle of a major remodel.

I can’t say I’ve seen this type before on a residential house, and it doesn’t seem to be pictured in any of my various training materials. When I think of aluminum roofs, I tend to think of garages or commercial space.

A quick google search shows it is corrugated aluminum. Pretty neat looking, and it certainly stands out in a neighborhood of asphalt tile roofs.

If one were to come across such a roof on an inspection, would you walk it? (It looks slippery) And other than seems, what else would be a concern? From what I am reading, it seems like such a roof would last a very long time and require little to no maintenance.

OK, only the 1st photo is showing above. Here is the 2nd photo.

From here it looks like a standing seam metal roof. I do not walk them because my fat @$$ would dent them!

Looks like a Standing Seam Roof - Galvalume ----- I’m in Florida and these are plentiful. The roof is normally laid over plywood with a self adhering underlayment such as Peel-N-Stick. It is fine to walk on them unless they have been placed over furring/batts. They are different from 5V-Crimps metal roofs in that the fastening hardware is not exposed in the form of screw heads. Instead the standing seam interlocks with each adjoining 24" panel.

Thank you for the info. :smiley:

It could also be a ‘snap lock’ metal roof. The panels are 16" wide and one side is screwed down while the rib of the next panel snaps over the rib of the first, hiding the fasteners. The ribs are wider on this than a typical standing seam roof.

Why do you want to walk on it?

Galvalume is a coating, the roof is steel. All aluminum roof would be very soft and dent easily, after a hail storm it would look like a flat golf ball.

What Dennis said, except also that they’re slippery when they’re wet. One of the potential defects is to have mineral-coated underlayment. Expansion and contraction will cause the underlayment to abrade the panels, so you don’t want to see this installed over roll roofing.

Yes, standing seam metal roof. Very popular in some areas, not so much here in SoCal.

I don’t. I was just asking for future reference.

Thank you for the clarification.

I would think so. It looked slippery from a distance just being dry.

Thanks. Good to know.

Thanks. It was certainly the first one on a house I’ve noticed near me.