Roof material identification

Hello, I am having a really hard time identifying the material of a spanish-style “tile” roof. I am going to try to attach a couple of pictures. It appears that the material is delaminating at the edges. It has 4 peaks per panel, and the house was built in 1977, in NW NM. Any clues?!

non-member
have to upload pix to another site & provide link like photobucket shutterfly…etc
or mail to fastreply@nachi.org
or a member to post

this sounds similar that has known issues…can’t imagine any lasting that long

Put your photos on a photo sharing site and post the link. That would be the fastest way to get some help.

Dom.

I uploaded a couple of pictures here: https://jacquelineteasley.shutterfly.com/

I can’t imagine the tiles are “newer” by any means. I’m thinking possibly original to the house.

I hope the link for the pictures is working…

I’m wondering if anybody has any clue? I’m still stumped by this. The way that it is “delaminating” is particularly confusing.

Any insight would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!!

It’s a guess, but possibly improper vetrification of the tiles…

Just a guess…
It’s a fiber-cement material manufactured after asbestos was no longer permitted to be used. Materials substituted for asbestos- like celulose- had thermal expansion/contraction characteristics radically different from asbestos and a number of materials failed well before their warranty, putting their manufacturers out of business and leaving homeowners with roofing materials that were coming apart due to forces that were not always obvious.

Thanks Kenton!

In December 1977, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission banned the use of asbestos-containing patching compounds and artificial fireplace ash products. More than a decade later, on July 12, 1989, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a ban on most contaminated products, but this ruling was overturned two years later by a New Orleans court. Currently, the EPA ban affects only flooring felt, rollboard and certain types of papers.
Products today can be made with asbestos as long as it accounts for less than 1 percent of the product. Current products include brake pads, automobile clutches, roofing materials, vinyl tile, cement piping, corrugated sheeting, home insulation and some potting soils. Although products can still be made with small amounts of asbestos, the regulations that control its use and manage its removal from older buildings are very strict.