roof shape discount question

I’ve been searching the internet and seem to get a lot of conflicting information about the requirements for roof shape and the amounts of wind mitigation discounts related to homeowners insurance in FL.

So, here’s my question:

I’m looking at building a new home with the entire footprint under one large hip roof, with three extensions over two decks on the upper floor and one extension over a 2’ bump-out in an upper floor bedroom. The extensions will not change pitch. Will this count as a hip roof? There’s confusing information regarding roof extensions over porches.

Thanks for any information about this.

P

If the extensions have a hip roof too, the whole thing is hip. If however, the extensions or bump-outs have anything other than a hip roof (flat or gable), these would count against the total roof perimeter. Must remain at least 90% hip, counted at the roof lines in lineal feet.

You might want to ask your insurance agent…since you are building a new home, what the difference will be.

I think I know what you mean, but I think this is a pic vs 1000 words case. Take a look at the part of the roof over the garage in the picture. The extensions I’m planning on would be like the roof extension of the balcony on the second floor of the garage in this picture. So does that mean the extension on this house is technically a flat roof?

Treat each roof line separately. That photo has a full gable on the front and the left side of the main structure, possibly more in the back. The little bump-out over the garage only has small gable returns on the sides (approx. 2’ each). Gable (non-hip) dimensions are measured horizontally at the spans. That house would not count as a hip roof. My advice is to have wind mitigation inspector look at your roof drawings for clarification, if you are still in the design stage.

In reference to the red words, in that over-garage bump-out example, if it were stand-alone, you would have appx. 4’ of non-hip perimeter counting toward your allowable non-hip 10% perimeter allowance of the whole hip roof over it?

We definitely will have an inspector check the plans out before we finalize them. I’m just trying to get as much decision making down with home design software, before we get official plans made. We really wanted to do a bonnet style roof, to be more in keeping with the west indies inspired design we’re going for. Internet research seems to indicate that bonnet roofs (not dutch hip) do just as well in wind storms as true hips do, but it does not look like FL mitigation rules accept this, so we’re willing to go hip, since the hip roof shape discount seems to be a large one, and our lot is on a coastal body of water, so insurance premiums are a consideration. I’m sure though a forum of inspectors might have some opinions about the bonnet roof too though. :wink:

Thanks for all the info so far. You’ve been really informative and helpful.

P