Lintel??? Bond Beam???

I was in the crawl space of a house built about 30 years ago. The footing of the walls on two sides ended about 10 ft short of the connection with the perpendicular wall. There is what looks like a long CMU block that covers the span. I have seen shorter block used above doors and windows (lintel) and am familiar with bond beams normally used at the top of a CMU wall. I have never seen this set up before. The homeowner is nervous about the integrity of the structure. The house has been there for a while with no issues, but he wants some reassurance.

Anybody out there seen this before? I would appreciate some feedback.

Over 40 views and no comments?? I figured someone would at least chastise me for not knowing what this structure was.

At this point i’d just like someone to commend on if they have seen this before.

It’s a pre-cast lintel used to header the opening in the wall (same thing as used on a double wide door). It most likely has poured cells with grout, and rebar at the top and inside the lintel. By the way, what the hell is the opening in the wall for?

I agree.

Structural Engineer territory.
Like everyone knows it is serving to provide support above that span which makes one question why .

No good reason that I can see. One wall was on the back side of the space, one was on the front side. I can’t see any reason the construction was this way. The buyer asked me the same question. Another one of those “why” questions I can’t answer.

Thanks guys. Confirmed my initial thoughts.

Any link?
Would it be considered a monolithic concrete beam or mortar bonded CMU units?
Image 2; If this lintel considered masonry units, the cobble principle comes into play. Only allowed to bump out any parallel outer course by 1/3rd the wydth of the lower unit.

Lintel or not it has been compromised. The site manufatured lintel was mechanically altered.
It requires an GC or SE to execute a survey.

“Star Date 2015.11.02.17.43… Northern Inspector’s chain supply of medicinal tablets have disappeared. No corrective resupply within sight. Dr. Mc Coy instructed to attempt lobotomy. Crew awaits in anticipation of more positive permanent results…”

Robert, what are you talking about.
This is a regular and standard precast lintel designed for the support of CMU spanned openings as such. No doubt engineered for the span and loading.

Link for you; http://www.fendtproducts.com/pdf/products/concrete_masonry_units/precast_concrete_masonry_lintels.pdf

It is also possible to have a bond beam block under the sill plate of the floor system at the box header.

Used many times in my construction career.

You need to relax on your descriptive conclusions and hypothesis on these subjects.

Being in the mountains maybe they hit a bunch of rock/stone and could not dig deep enough to poor a footing.

That’s a vent in the blockhead, Robert:roll:

Makes sense. It was obviously beamed over something.

James,

I have seen this before where a crawlspace or garage foundation joins a basement. The over dig at the basement wall has poor compaction and the crawlspace wall is reinforced to span the gap.

Brad, you calling him a blockhead. LOL

Excellent.
Knew I had seen that before and believe it was that type situation.

Randy is correct
Seen it many times in TN. Usually for basement transitions or split/tri level homes.
Found mostly in partial basement/crawlspace homes. It bridges the gap for a connecting lateral wall. A garage for example. I wonder if I can find any pictures.

Sorry, my windows pro 2 image transferred the butt joint lines to the obvious monolithic lentil.

What the fuc is wrong with you assswhole?
Jonas, now I am joining to do my best to get you off this MB.

I am sure glad when you are dead and gone from this earth you will have someone to answer to.

Guilty conscience?