Foundation question

I am curious as to your thoughts on this situation. Cinderblock foundation and a diagonal crack running down to the floor and starting beneath a window. Clients questions are:

1. Can the crack be sealed? (I’m thinking roofing tar, caulk or something of that sort).
  2. Will they have to do major repair to the foundation within the next 10 years?

The house was more than 40 years old and this was the only significant issue I saw with the foundation.

Should I recommend a further look from a contractor, or maybe a structural engineer?

Thank you!

Terry

crack2.jpg

You need to know on site the correct way to report a foundation crack, however if you are not sure the “moderate crack” concerns works well.

One or more minor cracks (1/8 inch or less) were found in the foundation. These don’t appear to be a structural concern, but recommend sealing them to prevent water infiltration and monitoring them in the future. Numerous products exist to seal such cracks including:
[li]Hydraulic cement. Requires chiseling a channel in the crack to apply. See http://www.quickrete.com an example.[/li][li]Resilient caulks (easy to apply). See http://www.quickrete.com for an example.[/li][li]Epoxy sealants (both a waterproof and structural repair). See http://www.mountaingrout.com/ for examples of these products.[/li]

One or more moderate cracks (1/8 inch to 3/4 inch) were found in the foundation. These may be a structural concern, or an indication that settlement is ongoing. The client(s) should consider hiring qualified contractors and/or engineers as necessary for further evaluation. Such contractors may include:
[li]Foundation repair contractors who may prescribe repairs, and will give cost estimates for prescribed repairs[/li][li]Masonry contractors who repair and/or replace brick veneer[/li][li]Geotechnical engineers who attempt to determine if settlement is ongoing, and what the cause of the settlement is[/li][li]Structural engineers who determine if repairs are necessary, and prescribe those repairs[/li]At a minimum, recommend sealing cracks to prevent water infiltration. Numerous products exist to seal such cracks including:
[li]Hydraulic cement. Requires chiseling a channel in the crack to apply. See http://www.quickrete.com for an example.[/li][li]Resilient caulks (easy to apply). See http://www.quickrete.com for an example.[/li][li]Epoxy sealants (both a waterproof and structural repair). See http://www.mountaingrout.com/ for examples of these products.[/li]

One or more major cracks (more than 3/4 inch wide) were found in the foundation. These appear to be a structural concern, and may indicate that settlement is ongoing. The client(s) are strongly advised to hire qualified contractors and/or engineers as necessary for further evaluation. Such contractors may include:
[li]Foundation repair contractors who may prescribe repairs, and will give cost estimates for prescribed repairs[/li][li]Masonry contractors who repair and/or replace brick veneer[/li][li]Geotechnical engineers who attempt to determine if settlement is ongoing, and what the cause of the settlement is[/li][li]Structural engineers who determine if repairs are necessary, and prescribe those repairs.[/li]
Thanks to www.reporthost.com

Are you sure about it being cinder block? Looks like poured concrete formed with boards.
From the pictures it does not look like it is major for that old of a house but I am not there to make that call. Is there any shifting side ways at the cracks?
I have not seen a cinder block foundation that does not leak.

James,
You are correct, this is a concrete foundation built on site using 1"x6" boards with ties and waler system.
This foundation must have been built in the fifties.
That crack under the window, has probably been there for years, and if it don’t leak would be of no concern.
Obviously, reiforcement then was little to none, so note it as a crack and if it starts leaking to have a waterproofing contractor address it. If conditions change for some reason, it could be a problem in the future.

Recommend a foundation contractor to assess the repairs required.

Hope this helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

I agree with the above opinions, and tell them to get rid of the plastic dryer vent and get a proper metal one.

RB Who ever the hell your are;

Foundation question 6/13/08 9:34 AM Where else would you build a concrete foundation wall?..rb

I am going to tell you one thing, I am sick and tired of you giving me a red for every post I make.

If you have a problem with what I say, call me, email me, private mail me, but anything but insulting me with these reds.

I have poured more concrete in my life than you will or have seen.
I have formed concrete with 1"x6" boards like I stated.

I have tied concrete forms in fireplace footings with # 9 wire by crawling inside.

I have built foundations for over 40 years, and yes that makes me an expert, more so than I can say for you.

I know when a foundation crack is a problem, and I know when damp proofing is used and called a waterproofing.

Is there anything in particular that you would want to shed some light on?

Maybe I can teach you a few tricks or so, and you might even double your inspections by half of what you have now.

You might even show people you know what the hell you are talking about.

It is obvious that you have something on me, because this is about the 6th red I get from you.

If there is a way to find out who you are,. I will.

Oh and thank you for your time and effort in reading the post to begin with.
I just hope you spend the time to read this one.

If you need any help in finding a job you can handle let me know, I hear that the Sanitation Engineers here in town, need help.

:frowning:
</IMG></IMG>

Marcel,
If you place your mouse over the green boxes of your post, you will see that you “have a reputation beyond repute.”

It was said in another thread, that if you want the greens, then you have to be a little thick skinned with the reds too. Otherwise turn the system off in your preferences.

I think you’re a great help around here, and when I can give you another green (after I’ve spread some around first), I’ll be giving you more.

Bottom line, try not to take it too personally, at least he gave his initials.

Thank you Mark.

It is just frustrating to see that some people cannot appreciate the help, or ask for some elaboration of the topic.

And when it is always the same one, it is like a poker in your side.

I am here to help all and as many as I can that are out there trying to make an honest living.

Sharing ones knowledge is the best I can do, and it hurts when one refuses it due to his own ignorance and stabs at the giver.

Thanks

Marcel;

For what it is worth, I agree with you.

Concrete foundation with vertical crack, inject urethane if seeping.
Replace the plastic dryer vent hose. Safty hazard.

You are always helpful to me, Marcel (just stop doing mime :mrgreen: )

Thanks Wil and hope things are going good for you.

You have me questioning myself as to what I am suppose to stop with this word above, what did you mean?

You know, like Marcel Marceu. Bad joke.

I’m sorry :neutral:

Thanks Wil, joke accepted, ha. ha. :smiley:

I got it, but it was a bad joke. :mrgreen:

It was a terrible joke. But from a guy that wears an orange shirt, what else would you expect.:stuck_out_tongue:

Mike, you have a point there. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oh that was too funny…but really Marcel you are a great help here…:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Jim and coming from a guy like you that I have more hair than, that is a great compliment. ha. ha. :wink:

Hey Marcel, for the idiot that gave you the red there are prefab forms that you just set in place, Marcel was referring to some body doing the actual building of forms out of wood on site. But you are smarter than him right, O.K. time to wait for my RED. By the way Marcel I Congratulate you for helping another member rather than being a critic of the helpers.

Thanks Jerry, and if you get a red from this low life, let me know and I will offset it.

On a different note;, How are things in your area? I hope you are doing well.

If you should need any help on something, I am here for you. Anytime.

I am always glad to see Canadian Inspectors of the INACHI Group. Hope more join in this one elite Association that compares to none.

Thanks again.

Marcel :smiley: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Marcel I had to reply because I still work full time in Commercial and Residential poured foundation construction until I can build the business to a point where I can finally take it on full time so I know a little about foundations. The Canadian market is still pretty good and the referrals are slowly growing, NACHI has been good to me and the group of helpful inspectors around here is PRICELESS! I am not worried about a red as I march to my own drummer, keep helping and all the best.