"Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors" online course
to InterNACHI's free, online Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors
Most of us spend much of our time indoors. The air that we breathe in
our homes, in schools, and in offices can put us at risk for health
problems. Some pollutants can be chemicals, gases, and living organisms
like mold and pests.
The goal of this course is to teach inspectors about to inspect indoor air quality of homes.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student be able to:
- list and describe the factors affecting Indoor Air Quality (IAQ);
- inspect for moisture in relation to IAQ;
- comprehend how moisture moves in a building;
- describe techniques of pollutant remediation; and
- generalize requirements of ASHRAE 62.1989 and ASHRAE 62.2-2007.
The U.S. Department of Energy and InterNACHI, the International
Association of Certified Home Inspectors, are working in cooperation to
develop and offer energy inspection courses to InterNACHI members.
keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this course is
open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.
Reminder to members: InterNACHI's Code of Ethics
1.10 requires that you comply with all government rules and
licensing requirements of the jurisdiction where you conduct
business. InterNACHI's courses and Standards generally exceed the
Standards of Practice that you are required to abide by locally.
This course has been approved by:
Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors course includes:
- 1 CE hour;
- over 25 photos and illustrations;
- 5 quizzes;
- 50-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool);
- instant grading;
- a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
- accreditations and state approvals.
This course covers the following topics:
- Student Verification & Interactivity
- Learning Objectives
- Quiz #1
- Supplemental Materials
- Introduction to Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Improving Indoor Air Quality
- IAQ, Moisture and Ventilation
- Common Household Sources of Water Vapor
- Interview with Joan Ouellette
- Quiz #2
- Moisture Movement
- Permeance of Building Materials
- Pollutant Solutions
- IAQ and Relative Humidity
- Quiz #3
- Blower Door Basics
- Outside Air and IAQ
- How is Natural Ventilation Calculated?
- BTL, BTLa & MVG
- MVG Theory
- Random Hole Type
- Radom Size and Distribution
- What's Left
- Quiz #4
- Interview with Paul Raymer
- ASHRAE 62.1989
- ASHRAE 62.2-2007
- ASHRAE 62.2-2007 Table
- ASHRAE 62.2-2007 Formula
- What Are the Choices?
- Installing Fans
- Using ASHRAE 62.1 Installations to 62.2
- Air-to-Air Heat Exchanger
- Quiz #5
- Student Verification
Upon completion of this course and passing of
the 50-question final exam (drawn from a larger pool), the student can
download and print their own Certificate of Completion
which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is recorded on
InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification, and
automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing
Education log. It counts as one InterNACHI Continuing Education
Non-members may view only the first page of the course.
InterNACHI... #1 in inspection education.
(free to InterNACHI members)
Some features which make InterNACHI's courses superior to existing continuing education options:
- The course is free for all InterNACHI members.
- The course is written in pure XHTML code for quick
loading. The course loads fine on old computers and loads fast, even
- The course is designed using a hierarchal menu
coupled with a sequential page navigation. This provides the student
with the option to easily repeat areas of weakness.
- The course permits the student to start, stop and restart any part of the course as often as desired.
- There are a variety of images within the course, including diagrams, illustrations and photos.
- The illustrations can be enlarged for clearer viewing by clicking on them.
- The text is integrated into InterNACHI's Inspector Glossary. Rolling over blue-colored terms provides their definition.
- The final exam uses multiple-choice questions that reference the images.
- The course's quizzes and final exam have numerous advantages over traditional exam systems:
- The course, quizzes and final exam incorporate
built-in intelligence which identifies and strengthens each student's
unique subject weaknesses.
- Not only is each question weighted with regard to
score, but each answer is weighted, as well as the correctness of each
answer being weighted.
- Answers to easy questions are weighted such that the
student is penalized, in terms of score, for answering incorrectly, but
rewarded modestly for answering correctly.
- Answers to difficult questions are weighted such that
the student is rewarded, in terms of score, for answering correctly,
but not penalized for answering incorrectly.
- Answers to questions regarding basic safety, or
questions every inspector should know the answer to, are weighted such
that the student is severely penalized, in terms of score, for answering
- Upon passing the final exam, the student can print out a Certificate of Completion which is auto-generated in their own name.
The student's (InterNACHI member's) information is
recorded on InterNACHI's servers for membership compliance verification,
and automatically logs completion into InterNACHI's online Continuing
Why online inspector education is better than classroom inspector education.
(free to InterNACHI members)