Great deal on gas leak detector

Originally Posted By: tthompson1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just purchased a brand new TIF-8850 Combustible Gas Detector from this place on eBay for $133.50.

It came with a hard shell plastic case, rechargeable batteries and a wall charger.

Shipping was $11.50 so total it cost me $145. I received it within 4 days and am very happy with it.

If you've been shopping for one of these like I have you will recognize that this is a fantastic price.

Next on the radar is a CO detector!

Here's the link to buy one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50965&item=3880047239&rd=1

Here's a link to a TIF-8800A for $124.95 plus $12.50 shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50965&item=3880047173&rd=1

Originally Posted By: mmillis

Hi, Terry

Thank you very much for the tip on the gas detector.

I'm a new member of nachi, and the home inspection industry ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif) ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif) . I'ts great how you guys try to help each other out.
That particular gas detector was on the list of tools to get. I bought one right away,their maybe only a couple left. I saved a hundred bucks from where I was go to order it. HURRY IF ANY ONE ELSE IS INTERESTED.
thanks again Terry[/quote]

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Mark & Terry,

I’ve had my TIF8850 for about a year now & love it. Well, let me qualify that. Sometimes I think it does too good a job because probably 30% or more of the gas lines/appliances I check indicate a leak, usually at a flex connector or around the shaft of the gas valves. Sometimes I can smell it, sometimes not. In my mind, a leak is a leak and should be repaired but I’m taking some flack from HVAC guys and plumbers that I should expect small leaks and not write all of them up. Well, where do you draw the line? How small is too small to worry about? If the standard is that you need to smell it 1st then what’s the need for the 8850? I’ll get some clear direction someday I hope!

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tthompson1

Thanks, I thought it was such a great find that I had to tell someone. If I had a complaint it would be that there were no detailed instructions.

I think that you can control how sensitive by setting the knob but the limited instructions aren't clear on that. They just say to turn the knob until the ticking slows down. I am guessing that the slower the tick, the less sensitive it is.

Anybody have any knowledge about this?

Originally Posted By: jjackson

You got it. The slower the tick, the less sensitive it is. I just bought a CO detector from E bay for @249.00. It lists at over $500.00.

jj

Originally Posted By: ddivito

Why not use a spray bottle with soap and water in it? icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Because we’re hip, chic, cool, sophisticated, with-it, state of the art inspectors. eusa_dance.gif

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jjackson

Sorry guys,

I meant to say that the TIF 8800 was about $124.00 on E bay-the CO detector (also TIF) was $249.00. My wife kept smelling gas in our laundry and I checked everything with a solution made for leak checking. I fired up the 8800 and I found a small leak on the water heater itself, where the pipe runs from the t-stat to the burner. I tightened the nut on the heater itself. Amazing device, but like stated above, maybe too sensitive. Anyway, it got her off my back.

jj