fireplace

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

1986 house has a switch on one side of the fireplace . When turned on it

sounds liike a fan is going on inside . Is this a fan inside that blows heat out or pushes the smoke out . Or what is it? it does have a seperate gas valve so that is not it.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

A fan operated on a manual switch sounds like it would be the circulation fan. Draws cold room air in at the bottom someplace, passes around the firebox to heat up and then expelled though upper vents someplace.

I would certainly hope that any blower supplying combustion air is not controlled by a manual switch but sometimes people do strange and potentially hazardous things.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: lewens

Jane

There used to be a fireplace firebox called a “Heatalator” that application to install a air circulating fan operated by an outside switch. The fan was mounted in the outside jacket surrounding the firebox and was totally isolated from it. They were very efficient for a while but in earlier models the firebox would burn through if not properly faced with firebrick, a common shortcut when installed by a home owner or other than a professional mason. Check vewwy vewwy cawefuwwey.

Larry Ewens

Originally Posted By: psisler

Jane,

Two years ago I installed a new fireplace insert in my home with new hearth and rock. The insert I have works as Paul explained in his post. I have a switch on the side of the hearth that allows me to turn on/off the forced air heat that the unit produces. Very economical as I rarely use my Heating system in the winter with this system.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

most pellet stoves have the option of having the circ. fan at “on” or “temp” controled by internal thermostat that you set. but of course a pellet stove is pretty useless if you loose power and don’t have a battery backup. icon_cool.gif