First year in business

Originally Posted By: Jeff Demler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am thinking of starting an HI business towards the end of summer, or fall. Can anyone tell me what I can expect realistically for the first year, and subsequent years, on the number of inspections that I could get. I know this depends on area, competition, marketing, and personal motivation. I just am curious about that as it is probably my biggest stumbling point in trying to start. I am planning to attend AHIT later this year in Wisconsin.

I also would like to know if anyone could provide me with approximate start up costs. I know this will very based on budget and needs. Just looking for what to expect.

I have been thinking of doing this for the last couple of years, and have some experience is Electrical and HVAC. I know I have much to learn, but any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

This site has already prompted me to want to take the on-site courses as opposed to on-line or home study.

Thank you,

Jeff

Originally Posted By: bking

I just started recently and can’t see a trend yet in number of inspections but I have read on here to expect from 50 to 200 in your first year. Big difference though in those numbers. icon_eek.gif

Figure about $10,000 in startup costs, about $4,000 of that will be for E&O and GL insurance. Plan on not making any money or very little for several months. Make sure your wife likes to work. Plan to spend money on advertising. Get good business cards, brochures or flyers. Make sure you know what your web site address, phone numbers etc. before having cards etc. made. Get a cell phone just for business with voice mail. Sign up with Americanhomeinspectordirectory.com, servicemagic.com and others. Get a digital voice recorder to make the inspection easier on site and to prevent forgetting to write things down. Get a digital camera.

Get your website going early! You will need time to improve on it and let the search engines index it etc. WebStudio 4.0 ($90) is a good one if you want to make it yourself and then use their partner ihost for web hosting ($10 month) I tried two free web building packages and they were bad.

Read at least 80 percent of every past post on the NACHI boards and 100 percent of the marketing messages. Look at every picture in the photo gallery. Keep asking questions. Search the internet everyday and start a notebook of information on plumbing, roofing, elect, hvac etc. Also save every good web site into a favorite places folder and make sure you always keep your PC info backed up! I even keep the most important documents on a CD rom in a seperate building.

Get or make your own inspection agreement and study every one you can get off inspectors web sites. Get or make your own reporting system and make sure it meets your state requirements as well as NACHI's.

When you open for business, don't be messing around with things that should have been done first, get out there and meet people. I figure I spent over 3,000 hours researching and preparing for this business before I opened and add to that another 40 hours every week since then. I am looking at the long term rewards and just glad to be out of my previous 20 year career.

Originally Posted By: troberts1

No one could Have said it better than Bruce did and that is just the start. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Jeff:

It takes about 2-3 years to make your business truly profitable. Be sure to have some supplemental income during this time. I am in my 3rd year now and becoming very busy. The first two years were lean.

Make sure you set up an LLC (depending on your state law) get yourself some liability insurance and obtain any state license you may need.
Don't waste your money on expensive yellow pages ads. Your money is better spent on a top notch website.

You should join NACHI asap as it has helped me grow my business more than anything else.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Those are some awesome posts, thanks guys. Bruce, I have to agree with Ted, you answered ALOT of my questions. Russell, thanks to you for adding just a bit more. I am very impressed with the professionalism on this forum that I have seen so far. That should be a compliment to both NACHI and to all who post here. I do not know of anything offhand that I could have asked to prompt more information. As far as the NACHI boards and reading all of them, I am planning on doing this all summer in my free time.

I have already searched the board for info pertaining to AHIT, and came to the conclusion I would be better to attend the classes in person, especially since it is located about an hour to an 1 1/2 hrs from me. I also do not want to skimp on the education part, so am planning to take the full course with marketing, etc. As long as my trucking company makes money this year, I should be set for startup costs including education.

My company is already set up as an S Corp., but the name of it won’t work for HI (JMD Cartage LTD.), but am going to check with my accountant about keeping this corporation, but using a different name (dba, or subsidiary)? It might just be better for me to set up another Corp. or LLC, as it is pretty easy to do. The hard part is actually running it and not getting into tax troubles and fines, etc.

I am also lucky enough to have self taught how to do websites, and already have professional software and have an Associates Degree in Computer Networking, so I am planning on doing my own websites, business cards, brochures, etc. (anything I can to reduce costs). Eventually, I may also host my own website as there is much more flexibility in doing so. Those are the things I am not so worried about, but thank you for pointing them out as I may have overlooked something, and it is always better to get info from an experienced businessperson. I have very limited experience with business, just what common sense, and learning the hard way. Not fun going the hard way.

My wife already gave me the go ahead to shut down my other Corp., but I am just getting back into it for the season, and the money will come in handy later in the year. As far as toughing out the lean years, I have LOTS of experience in that. My current business is seasonal, and with lack of snow, we are not in great shape right now. Long, cold snowless winter! Just today spent my last 4000.00 on license plates for the truck, but should see some returns very shortly. I am actually thinking this HI thing will be much less overhead than I am used to, and with fuel the way it is now, it may just be a rough year? Yes, my wife makes enough for us as long as I can add a little to make ends meet, and may be able to drive other trucks for guys when they need a break. I NEVER wanted to be a truck driver, but graduated from college after 9/11, and could not find anything for over a year, so I bought myself a job! I am also looking toward the future, and believe HI has a much brighter one than trucking ever will. I am also not too worried about the lawsuits, etc. because of the fact if I screw up my current job, I can do prison time, kill people, and just create a real mess if I am negligent at all. They probably would be able to get at my personal assets even with whatever corporate veil there is, because it is ALWAYS the CDL drivers fault. The lawyers would find a way. I think they would have to prove negligence, though. Enough about trucks, as I hate em now.

I guess my biggest stumbling blocks were how much work I could expect, and is nice hearing your stories because I was figuring if I could get at least one a week, I would be ok at first. Once I start it, I will go full steam and put as much effort into it, or more, than I already do with the truck. I put in at least 8 hours a week in unpaid time just dealing with the truck, not counting any paperwork related to the business. Not to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent as an electrician and HVAC. Have always liked buildings, and was my dream as a kid to be an architect, but was unable to pursue this dream because of financial reasons. Plus, I was too busy being a kid and not looking at my future like I should have.

I want to invest in my families future and do not mind putting in extra work, as long as I am the one to reap the rewards from my hard work. I am hoping I am done being an employee, as I am just making someone else rich. I didn’t figure that out until I started my current business. The wife also told me this is my last shot, so I better make it count!

Sorry for such a long post, but am very excited about it, and the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I just want to make sure that when I do start, that I am fully competent to do quality inspections and not rip off the customer. My buddies removed a fuel oil tank that was leaking and not noticed by the inspector. He also never went on the roof, and from what I was told, was in just as bad shape.

I have the computer, digital camera, truck, and even some tools. I know I need more, that is what the summer money is hopefully going to do.

I guess I just running on now, as I am getting myself excited again.
Again, thanks guys, and I am sure I am not done asking questions. But until I read more, and educate myself some more on the forum.

Thank you,

Jeff Demler

PS. As far as becoming a NACHI, I have passed the online test 2 out of 2 times. I already see the value in the Association. At least it is a start!

Originally Posted By: bgentry

rcloyd wrote:
You should join NACHI asap as it has helped me grow my business more than anything else.

Amen.

Jeff, there is a wealth of information in the members only section of the forum that will help. The seasoned veterans on here know their stuff when it comes to marketing the HI business. There are also as many ways of doing it as there are members. Good luck...and join NACHI soon.

Originally Posted By: dhadler

This may give you some idea…

1st year 70 inspections

2nd " 108 inspections

3rd " 215 inspections

4th " off to a really nice start with about 50 inspections in the first 1/4 of this year, which is up from 32 from last years first 1/4. And I still have a week to go yet icon_exclaim.gif

I'm hoping to hit 300 for this year?

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: bgentry

Hope I can achieve the same growth. Thanks for the stats Darrell.

Thanks for the added replies. I viewed soon after posted, but forgot to say thanks.

I know this depends on area, but would it be safe to assume, for ballpark figures, to use 300.00 for an average inspection, or should I use a different figure for my research?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Originally Posted By: cradan

the economic profile of your typical home buyer like in your AO? High-end? Low-end? Bit of both? Lot of condos? (Interior only, less $).

When you've got at least a tentative grip on these questions and their answers...you've still got to have a reasonable idea of what your cost(s) will be to operate your business. Obviously, there will be little sense in setting a $250.00 fee for a certain type of inspection if your business cost to perform the inspection is $200.00, and so-on. You need to know your cost(s), AND you need to know what you'll accept for margins.

Your average revenue figure of $300 is probably not bad (based on your operating area), but make sure you've done enough research and fundamental business planning to KNOW what this venture will cost you, preferably on a per-inspection basis. Don't forget to calculate-in a "fudge" or upcharge factor regarding costs. Murphy's Law being what it is, almost everything will sooner-or-later cost more than you initially thought it would!

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Personaly, i’ve passed all the prerequesites for NHCI but now need the $ for the cert, and membership. i am constantly reading and interacting with this measage board, and i’ll be the first to admit, books are one thing, but reading the info first hand is awesome. Been in buisness about 2 months now, not one inspection under this buisness name yet, not even a phone call (exept the guy from “yellow book” selling ad space). I’ve got a full time job now (Head Maintenance at a big apt. complex for about 5 years now.) so money is o.k. but i don’t have a lot of time to advertice, and have to schedule any insp. for after working hours and weekends. which is good in a way because the customer i more likely to be there and not have to take a day out of work. well any way just my rant, thanks for reading.

Originally Posted By: BRAD BUTCHER

I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 8 MONTHS AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT TIMES OF THE YEAR ARE SLOWER THAN OTHERS

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

In Az between Thanksgivin and Presidents Day

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Jeff,

Your interest in starting your business this time of year (I’m assuming full time) is a move that requires extra planning. A new home inspector starting their career in what can be a very slow time of year is something you need to consider. When I finished school and got licensed it was late fall and I spent the winter months just marketing. Once Spring came around I had already established some good contacts.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: sbaker

BRAD BUTCHER wrote:
I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 8 MONTHS AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT TIMES OF THE YEAR ARE SLOWER THAN OTHERS

Brad I have been in business about 11 months. From my personal experience after Thanksgiving into February around the Washington, Dc area has been slow. But it really does pick up in May I have completed 289 inspecitons since opening and foresee doing about 350 for my first year. Market, Market, Market !

Originally Posted By: dlott

WOW!!! This is GREAT info. and feedback. I have been a member of NACHI for a week now and have gained more knowledge than in my last eight months of research and reading. I plan on starting my business early Spring 2006. Right now I am scheduled for 7 day AHIT class in the last week of Sept. '05. I am working on getting termite inspection certified (category 7B in Missouri). I have applied for my L.L.C. with the state. I work for IBM and although I don’t know how to build my own website, I have some co-workers that said they would help with that. I spend alot of time looking at other websites, studying inspection software, brochure designs, vehicle advertising, etc. I have decided to wait on making a decision on purchasing any of the advertising stuff until after my AHIT school, because I am expecting to gain alot of that knowledge there. I am also a EXCITED newcomer and really appreciate all you veterans with the free advice. This seems to be the best place to get advice that will take you to the next level faster. I find, by being able to be a part of this awesome association, it takes a little bit of the edge off when getting your feet wet.

Originally Posted By: rdulay

David,

If you do decide to build your own web site, there is plenty of content available from NACHI to help you. Check out the information on brochures & web sites, and don't be shy about using the content that NACHI provides its members free of charge. I pulled most of this together in one spot in order to offer this content to NACHI members on homeinspectionwebsite.com - check out our sample site on www.unrolled.com. You are welcome to use this content whether or not you use our services, as it is freely available to all NACHI members directly from nachi.org.

Good luck!

- Roberta

--
Affordable web solutions for home inspectors, including complete NACHI web sites for only $75 plus hosting. See http://www.HomeInspectionWebSite.com for more information.

Originally Posted By: dlott

See!!! That’s what I am talking about. Thank you for that VERY helpful information. I will certainly do just that.