New Jersey Licensing

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only. Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

New Jersey Licensing

AuthorMessage
Paul Sabados

Accu-Pro Home Inspections
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: psabados
Posted: Sep 25, 2003 11:33 PM       Post Subject:
Very interesting, he doesn't even show up down the dial on that other BB.

Plant? Pushing in attempt to get booted? Wonder even if he can inspect anything?

Hey Lo! If you're so dammed proud of your position, come out of the basement and let the light shine on you so we can see who you are.
We hear a lot of words and if you think they're stealing your money, SUE EM! or quit if you are a member

What are you a member of? What are YOUR qualifications Tell us a little about yourself. I hear your pain, but Im having a hard time feeling it.

The answer to your first question is Nope!

Paul
Joe Farsetta

Advanced Professional Services Group, Inc.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jfarsetta
Posted: Sep 25, 2003 11:54 PM       Post Subject:
Paul,

Thanks to you, and to John O down in Texas.

Maybe we should call Richard "Slim Shady" instead.

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up...please stand up...please stand up... icon_lol.gif

"Angry" Joe icon_mad.gif
Paul Sabados

Accu-Pro Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: psabados
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 12:08 AM       Post Subject:
Joe

And my nickname is GRUMMPY2

Paul
Richard Lovecchio
NACHI Member: No
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 8:10 AM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Joe,

Thanks for your private E-mail. It is obvious that you are attempting to find out who I am. Well, I will tell you
1) I live in Rutherford, NJ
2) I do not belong to any organization
3) I moved here 9 months ago
4) I have two kids
5) I lived in California
6) I like to play football
7) I am 5' 8'' tall
icon_cool.gif I have red hair
9) I do not give out my telephone number to just anyone
10) I am friends with Neal Lewis
11) I know his boss
12) I was asked to join HICAG
13) I heard of John and Lorraine but I personnaly do not know them
14) I am a retired police officer
15) I am just starting up my own company called "Engineering Limited"
16) I will be grtting my corporate papers soon
17) I live in an apartment now and plan to buy a house
1icon_cool.gif As soon as I become official you will beable to look me up in the yellow pages.

PS. I am sorry if I offended anyone on this BB. I will try to fit in. I am very pissed and frustrated. I am truly sorry if I took this out on you JOE.
It will never happen again.

Richard Lovecchio
John Onofrey

Top 2 Bottom Real Estate Inspectors
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jonofrey
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 9:17 AM       Post Subject:
Richard,

Nice post.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 10:56 AM       Post Subject:
Richard, my apologies... truly...

Now that I know a little more, I can feel your frustration, and no offense was taken. As to HICAG, my questions were real. I haven't heard from them in months. They came on like gangbusters, then nothing. Neal is a good guy. He took my ball busting for a long time. We sat together for a while at last months NYNACHI meeting. I like and respect Neal, and absolutely value his experience and opinion.

Anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

My number is posted. Your calls are always welcome.

Joe icon_smile.gif
John Onofrey

Top 2 Bottom Real Estate Inspectors
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jonofrey
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 11:02 AM       Post Subject:
Atta boy Joe!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 26, 2003 8:38 PM       Post Subject:
Richard, How can NACHI help you? I know you're frustrated. How far have you gotten with your venture?

Joe
Richard Lovecchio
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 27, 2003 7:44 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Joe and John,

I appreciate you guys not holding what I said against me. You guys are truly what I call "what freinds should be all about"...forgive when someone just has a bad day. Thanks

I am not an engineer. But I plan to hire one. I've been very busy getting the business off the ground...new town and all. I am not one to join trade associations, but if I do one day it will be NACHI. I promise I will not TELL people to quit ASHI. How about this..."I recommend that you look twice at the organization you are paying dues to, then decide"...How's that

See you guys soon, I am on my way to bed

RL
Richard Lovecchio
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 29, 2003 6:01 AM       Post Subject:

Can someone tell me if ASHI certifies people. I've been hearing a lot of talk about this.

RL
ismetaniuk
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 29, 2003 6:29 AM       Post Subject:

This membership was a big waste of my time!

--
Igor
Top To Bottom Inspections
Glen Spey, NY

Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 29, 2003 1:29 PM       Post Subject:
No offense taken, Richard.

BTW, why are you planning to hire an engineer for your business? Surely Neal is coaching you on this. What are his thoughts? Will he be letting you ride with him? Maybe you could come with NEal to the next NYNACHI chapter meeting.

Neal's a really good guy. He can introduce you to the gang.

Joe Farsetta
Richard Lovecchio
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 30, 2003 8:02 AM       Post Subject:

Joe,

Hiring an Engineer will boost the companies cretibility, don't you think?

We had a fall out the other day. I do not think I will be discussing much with him. They pretend I do not exist because of the problems it may cause. One day I will take this offline and discuss this BS with you Joe. You know how it is when the meeting of the minds do not click. Sometimes the underdog becomes the problem.

Joe, you have been wonderful to me lately, and I really appreciate that. I appreacite your honesty and integrity. I took some time out to read all your posts. I am totaly convinced that you are for the consumer, not that I ever doubted that before. I also feel the entire gang at NACHI are the same. It is nice to see that people can speak out and not get critized to the point of exile.

Many people I speak to feel that ASHI is overstepping their bounds. Do you think ASHI should be getting away with taking over the industry? If not what can we do about it?

I spoke to some people that are having a hard time with the NJ Non-Sanctioned mentoring program. They are getting responses like,
I have no time, I do not want to train my competition, It will cost you $5,000 dollars, Send me your resume (then never get a response), Are you an ASHI member and if not you will need to join ASHI and a ASHI chapter...what can be done about this?

And who is that NJ ASHI guy who calls everybody Bucket Head?

RL
Phillip R. Hinman
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Oct 11, 2003 6:48 AM       Post Subject:

This thread has been both entertaining and informative!!
Thank you all for the good information provided to me regarding ASHI and their influence in New Jersey.
Several things have happened since I last posted. I started the state required classes again and was able to discuss at length the problems I and some of my fellow students have encountered getting mentors with the school director. This is the only private school teaching the course in NJ and the director was heavily involved in the legislation!
He told me he has heard many of the same complaints I have dealt with.
He told me part of the problem with mentoring is that many of the inspectors expecting to be grandfathered have held off getting their licenses because they then are required to meet the NJ standards including a huge upgrade of their insurance!
At this time their is about 200 inspectors licensed and therefore nowhere near enough to satisfy the new people coming into the business for mentoring and supervised inspections!!!
Tough situation for us new guys to be in after spending so much time and money to take the course !!!! I intend to get together with some people and address these issues at local ASHI meeting!
I would love to hear your input on this problem and whether or not you think pushing the local ASHI people makes sense.

Thanks for Your Help,

Phil
Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Oct 11, 2003 8:22 AM       Post Subject:
I believe that re-writing the law is the best course of action. The law, in its present form, is pure protectionism for established inspectors, whilst pretending to protect the consumer.

The governor of NJ should suspend it indefinitely, and ask the state attorney general to look into the licensing board, the legality of the law itself (seeing as how it all seems linked somehow to a single organization), and some last minute maneuverings to derail modifications to the bill this past year.

The question remains as to who the bill actually served. The consumer? I think not!

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Robert OConnor

Eagle Engineering & Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: roconnor
Posted: Oct 11, 2003 9:32 AM       Post Subject:
John O ... Thanks for the code ref on Cement Boots ... one of the funniest posts I have read ... almost fell off my chair laughing. But really, doesn't IBC 1902 on Concrete Foot Anchors supercede that as it is more restrictive? ... icon_eek.gif

One of the best ways to get legislation changed is to organize, and get together with other state organizations that have an interest in that to propose alternates and amendments. You may want to also try contacting the state PE and AIA organizations ... I know the NYSSPE is fighting similar proposed legislation in NY, and they are for more modest HI licensing (see that thread). Maybe even contact the state realtor organizations, since I would imagine a very limited supply of HI's would make a deal harder to put together quickly. There is power in numbers that gets legislators attention and responsiveness.

Just my 2 quarters, even though I am from NY.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Phillip R. Hinman
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 9:08 AM       Post Subject:

In November I finished the required schooling and recently took and passed the state exam (ASHII Test!!)
I have been attending the local ASHI meetings in hope of finding a licensed inspector to mentor to me for free!!!
I actually got 3 to agree!!! I have completed 7 mentored inspections and need another 43!! I do believe my 30+ years in the residential construction business made it possible to persuade the inspectors I would not take up a lot if any of their time during the mentored inspection.
I do not believe newbies without any construction experience will quite so lucky!!
BTW I have read many times that you don't need a construction background to be a good inspector. I held my opinion until I went out with some guys and read some reports. HOGWASH!!!! Those without any construction experience are at distinct disadvantage!!
I was able to identify materials and procedures used in the construction process some the seasoned inspectors were only able to address by " get ...... to look at the problem".
I will not have to ask to bring in numerous experts in a certain field to help a buyer make an informed decision!!! Realtors have told me about inspectors suggesting as many as 7 experts to be brought in one house to complete the information needed to make their buying decision!!!
Thanks for this forum to present my views!
Nick Gromicko
Founder
NACHI Member: Staff
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 11:48 AM       Post Subject:
I have always believed (and expressed those beliefs on this board) that a construction background really helps. It only makes sense. Doesn't a auto mechanic make for a good auto inspector? I know many disagree with Phillip and me, and many good inspectors were never in the trades, but one can't deny how valuable a construction background is.

I'll say something I know I'll get hammered for but here goes:

In general, I find that inspectors who come from the trades perform the best inspections and write the worst reports. Inspectors who come from the corporate or tech world do the worst inspections and write the nicest reports. A home inspection relies on both the ability to perform an inspection and the ability to relay that information in the form of a report. Therefore a home inspection is only as good as its weakest link.

Nick
Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 12:20 PM       Post Subject:
And sadly, many HI orgs (and legislation) will not count those years of related (construction, design, plumbing, electrical, etc) experience toward membership or licensing criteria. What's wrong with THAT picture....

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Phillip R. Hinman
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 1:07 PM       Post Subject:

Nick, I agree with the report writing issue. During my schooling it was obvious that the tradesmen struggled mightily with that aspect. I thought the course did a good job of explaining the urgency to be clear and concise. "Where, why and what to do about the problem" was drummed into our heads!!!!

Fortunately I learned how to describe and deal with construction issues with homeowners through my remodeling business. I ate a lot of money early on not writing good specs for a project in lieu of descent plans.

We had some professionals in the class who had no problem writing the report so they covered their butt with the correct words such as "appears, could be" etc but missed some of the necessary details that a customer should know because they are paying for them.

I believe the industry owes the customer some expertise somewhere in the process rather than the "identify a problem" I hear from the non construction experienced people and the teachers of the course.

Thanks Joe for your thoughts on counting experience. The state of NJ and the board thought having experienced people in the class would enhance the schooling for all. I don't agree because 90% of my time was wasted listening to construction 101 from a Canadian textbook!!! And furthermore the 300 hours of classroom work was a ridiculous amount of time for anyone to endure! We all know the field experience is the best teacher!!

Thanks,

Phil

Just my thoughts!!
Go to page: Previous 1 2 3 ... 27 Next