Garage door safety features

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Are the eye sensors required on garage doors or is it just a recommended safety feature?

When were eyes sensors required for use on garage doors?

A Florida thing here - Are the hurricane safety bars required to be installed on garage doors?
When were the hurricane safety bars required to be installed on garage doors?

--
All Corners Home Inspections, Inc
Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Scott,

I’m not so sure there would be a requirement for sensors on an automatic opener.I’ve checked IRC and as I was checking it got me thinking that since an automatic opener itself is not a code requirement then there’s probably no sensor requirement.IRC does however mention that," openers,if provided, shall be listed in accordance with UL 325".You might check there.I will say I can’t remember the last time I’ve installed an opener that wasn’t supplied with it’s sensors.

As for the reinforcement bars It is a new requirement here in Kansas City within the last two years because of those nasty little critters known as tornadoes. You might check your local codes if the house is new.But don’t forget we’re not codes inspectors and every older home on the planet would fail inspection if we did an up to date, by the book, codes inspection. Codes and standards change.

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Got this from DASMA. Tip sheet #364

Quote:
Federal law requires that residential automatic garage door operators be designed and manufactured with features that aid in the prevention of an individual from becoming entrapped beneath a closing garage door. One way to achieve this entrapment protection is the incorporation of a secondary entrapment protection device, which is required to be added
onto the door and operator system. This can consist of a photoelectric sensor, an edge sensor, or any other system that meets the protection requirements tested by UL 325.

And from the CPSC.

Quote:
The CPSC requires that all garage door operators manufactured or imported after January 1, 1993, for sale in the United States be outfitted with an external entrapment protection system.This system can be an electric eye, a door edge sensor, or any other device that provides equivalent protection. If an electric eye is used, it should be installed at a height of 4 to 6 inches above the floor.

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes

So there’s a nice dilemma, if there are no sensors, but there is a tension sensor than the door is fine. So basically if one safety device is present the door is fine.

I know we don't report on code, and there's very few doors I see that would require the hurricane bar, but occasionally I see the new door installed and if it's been installed in the past year it should fall under the requirement to have it installed. But then you get into things like high impact windows being required, but only in certain hurricane zone areas.

Good thing we don't report on code!!

--
All Corners Home Inspections, Inc
Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

My note:

Note: On January 1, 1993 federal regulations went into effect requiring manufacturers to include additional safety devices, (this can consist of a photoelectric sensor, an edge sensor, or any other system that meets the protection requirements tested by UL 325), on all automatic opener operated doors, in addition to establishing labeling requirements. Because safety is involved, it is recommended that a professional installer provide an estimate to retrofit or replace this system to comply to the OUR 235 or UL 325 standards.

Further information on garage door opener safety can be found at:
Consumer Public Safety Commission

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/523.html

And http://garagedoorsafety.com/

And http://www.doors.org

AND:

The optical sensors (Light beam) auto reverse safety on each side of the garage door are mounted too high. The top of the Lenses is supposed to be at a height between 5" - 6" above the floor. These are mounted at about XX inches. This is to high to have the beam interrupted by a fallen child, pet or even an adult and will not reverse the door opener. They need to be lowered to the proper height.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

All

Great info and now commited to memory.Thanks

Originally Posted By: jpope

Where “codes” do not address specific applications (i.e. appliances), manufacturers installation instructions warrant the same priority.

If the unit is manufactured to be used with optical sensors, they must be in place.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738