are pocket pc dead??

Originally Posted By: justin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Are pocket pc a time in the past?? I have read articles that people are getting away from pocket pc. Is any of this true??? what do you all think?

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

I use mine on every inspection.

“In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared”

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Just saw an article in the business section today that Microsoft is phasing them out.

Check closely before buying one.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hey Erby,

That will take away the simplicity involved when printing a Palm Tech inspection report?

Erol Kartal

Not for me. I use the HP Jornada, not the pocket pc. Of course, a couple of months after I bought it, guess what. HP announced the do away of the HP Jornada.

Sometime soon, I'll have to reinvest, but when I do, it'll be a laptop. I'll be done with hunting & pecking. Back to fast full hand typing.

Wish I had done that originally, but I got carried away with the idea of carting that cute little thing around on my hip.

T'aint worth it to me in the long run. I'll still be able to use the simplicity of printing reports, just won't be with one of them funny little things that make me hunt and peck with two fingers or a stylus.

Remember, Palm-Tech offers a version for Laptop also.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

I use a new Dell Axim and it works well with my InspectVue R3 software.

“In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared”

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: ekartal

The cool thing about Palm Tech is the ability to print from the little hand held to the printer. Think it’s the only program that can work this way.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: apightling

I use a Dell Axim to collect the data and synch it on a laptop-printer in the truck . . . works with 3D and my home brew .xls/.doc system.

-ap

icon_biggrin.gif

Very nice!

I understand that Porter is updating R3 to have the ability to print from the handheld as well, but I decided not to do reports on site, so while a good idea it does not really add to my systems functionality.

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: dbush

Brian, you might consider the same idea as what I plan to when PV has the opportunity to print out onsite. My clients often meet me at the end of an inspection for a “debrief”. At that time I can print off a summary report and give it to them and go through it.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Lorne H. Steiner

You have definitely been misinformed. The Pocket PC is alive and well! If fact there is a new generation of the device that will be out later this year. What Microsoft was saying is that they are changing the name of the device and will concentrate on phone integration and multimedia integration and will be called the Microsoft Mobile Device vs. Pocket PC. There will be software updates available for the Dell AXIM x50 and others when the new operating system is released.

Dave,

That's a great idea!

Thanks!

There are times like these that I just love this board! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Nah, Lorne, not misinformed. Just relaying the news from the horse’s mouth.

A horse is a horse.

A mule is a mule.

A Pocket PC is a Pocket PC

A Microsoft Mobile Device is a Microsoft Mobile Device.

On the 12th, I could find nothing online about it.

Today, though, there's this.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119198,00.asp

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Lorne H. Steiner

ecrofutt wrote:
Nah, Lorne, not misinformed. Just relaying the news from the horse's mouth.

A horse is a horse.

A mule is a mule.

A Pocket PC is a Pocket PC

A Microsoft Mobile Device is a Microsoft Mobile Device.

On the 12th, I could find nothing online about it.

Today, though, there's this.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119198,00.asp

Sorry, Lorne, I don’t care to discuss your sexuality. It’s your business, no one elses. If you don’t know, I’m not going to tell you.icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rboyer

Dave

I am using Axim X50V and plan on printing a summary on site, do the final report back at office. I will be using 3D, anyone else out there doing something similar? Would like to hear pros and cons, many HI are using the onsite reports as a good marketing tool to get realtors business.

Ron Boyer

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Lorne is completely right. This is just a name change that Microsoft does every 2 years just to confuse everyone and there is no doubt that over the next couple years the handheld devices will be merging more with cellphones.

The handhelds are the wave of the future in the home inspection market. If you are using one now and are finding yourself hunting and pecking then you are either not using the right software on your PocketPC or you have not costumized your data enough to use it efficiently.

If you are still trying to use a laptop or even a TabletPC then you are making things much more complicated then they need to be. You do not need a full-blown Windows XP OS to do data collection...it is way overkill and much more complicated then it needs to be. After 9 years in this market and over 1,500 inspector clients I am totally convinced that this is where the market is going.

Jeff Knight
Borealis Communications

Jeff

Do you do any printing onsite from your handheld? What type of printer?
What handheld?
Do you give summary and email final copy?

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Ron,

Absolutely we print from the handhelds. Our software has always printed a full report and a summary directly from a handheld…even when we started our company over 8 years ago. We were the first company to have home inspection software on a handheld device that was all standalone…(no PC required). The HP450 is the printer I would recommend to use printing in site using Bluetooth wireless communications. The new HP iPaq 4700 series PocketPC would be my recommendation ($500-$600). You can even print pictures automatically embedded in the report off the handheld to the portable printer.

Jeff Knight
Borealis

Thanks Jeff,

I already have the Dell Axim x50V and seems to be OK, using 3D software.

Just trying to find the correct fit of printer and decide what to print on site and what to do back at office.

What software package are you using?

Ron