Laptop wireless connection questions

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just bought a new laptop…should arrive tomorrow. It’s a lower end laptop (all I could afford) figured I’d enter a new era. It’s a HP Pavillion with just the celeron 350 processor.

I’m hoping to use it for GPS mapping to find homes (those GPS mapping palm pilots have too small of a screen to use while driving).

Also hope to write reports while I’m on the road ( I travel all over the state)

I use reporthost to do them so I need online connections…

So I have a question. I will need a router and networking modem in my home and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and which is better? Salesman said that in metro neighborhoods you can sometimes "borrow" a internet connection from someone using a wireless router in your area. Anyone ever heard of this?
Thanks for any input.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kevin,

congrats on the new toy, I have a wifi at home based on a Netgear wireless router (much better than linksys IMHO).

On occasions if I have cable issues I can borrow a signal from my neigborgh across the street.

When I am on the road I use connections at Starbuck and other places like hotels, airports and have been known to borrow the odd signal in residential areas.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Kev

We need a whole thread on this subject and maybe CE credits .. In this day and age knowledge of the computer is as important as the knowledge of the HI profession

In short - Yes you might be able to borrow a neighbor's web connection but your are using your computer as a business tool so just pay the tab and hook up with your own account

Remember if your neighbor gets turned off for non payment -- so do you

have a good day

rlb

no, no…you’re missing the point…I do have high speed internet at home and was looking for suggestions on hardware to go wireless.

In regards to the “borrowing”, I was talking about while I am on the road and needing a connection. I know there are “hot spots” across the country, and some cafe’s that you can go to use their internet service.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Kevin,

I have a Linksys Wireless Router with one wired PC (3COM Network Card) and 3 wireless PC's. One linksys, one built in wireless and a Netgear PCMCIA card in my laptop.

As long as the gear is from one of the reputable firms, (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc.) it's pretty much interchangeable.

Welcome to the 21st century! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: psabados

I have set mine up with a lynksys and tied the old printer into it also as a backup. Have a 6800 HP wireless printer in the family room. Also connected in my main PC and can share remotely. Signal strength is good and hardly ever a problem. Can work on the screen in porch with the doors closed and not miss a beat. Like now icon_biggrin.gif

Just make sure you secure so your neighbors or drivebys don't try to hijack or hack.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: lkage

Kevin, try these:

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/us/

http://www.wififreespot.com/

http://www.wifinder.com/

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Larry,

Thanks for the link…it’s bookmarked!

Gerry, et al...thanks for the feedback..it's appreciated. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: rbennett

As you can see this is an area that CE credits need to be given

The computer is just as an important of a tool as the stepladder

rlb

Originally Posted By: aleleika

kevin,

I have four computers in my house on a wireless network and like evrryone said it is all pretty much interchangable. Just be sure you secure it. Also just to let you know about two weeks ago in a suburb here in Chicago a man called police because of a strange car sitting across the street from his house all day with the guy sitting in it...the cops discovered he was using this mans wireless network for access to the web...he was charged with theft. Yes it is stealing. There are plenty of coffee shops while your on the road that offer free access on their WIFI network.

--
A. Dan Leleika
www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I managed to get my hands on a Panasonic laptop (used very little) Toughbook that is equipped for wireless but I have to admit I do not know beans from wild owl droppings about this area but want to learn. I noticed there are tutorials on one the the websites posted earlier in this thread. Went there and it may as well have been written in Egyptian hieroglyphics. I AM going to learn this stuff. Anything to make things easier is worth the effort. Is there a WiFi for Dummies?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Doug,

yes there is, give me a call and I'll talk you through it ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Thanks Gerry,

I will. I have to go to bed right now, my eyes are crossed from being up early this AM and out in the blistering heat all day. Put up several sections of fencing that blew down during the most recent Hairy cane. I will hook up with you Gerry ASAP. Thanks again. We’ll have to hoist a couple of cold frosty ones during the Convention.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Kevin,

Here’s another pretty good site for finding and connecting to hotspots and managing your wireless equipment. You can use it to search for free hotspots wherever you are.

www.jiwire.com

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

I have streets and trips 2005 and just realized that it is gps compatible. So all I need for that is a gps receiver. I’ve been doing a little reading on them. Was thinking about the pharos receiver, but it comes with a floppy and my laptop has no floppy drive. Any suggestions?

I’ve been reading reviews also on the wireless networking routers…so many to choose from and all have positive and negative reviews, so it’s hard to choose. Right now , honestly I cannot narrow it down. It’s sort of like the opinions on this board, they vary strongly.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Kevin, I too use Streets & Trips occasionally and have a Magellan GPS that plugged in to my laptop and it communicated properly 1st try. What do you need the floppy for? You might have seen this thread from a few weeks back. Go read my post, about #3 down icon_eek.gif . http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=13000&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=streets

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: syared

I have a DeLorme GPS for sale. It attaches to my laptop with a USB cable and DeLorme Street Atlas 2004. If you’re interested email me.

Steve Yared

The Home Examiner, LLC

(616) 776-7725

http://www.TheHomeExaminer.com

Originally Posted By: apfaff

Hey Kevin, I use wireless for my laptop and its great for sitting out on the hammock or watching the kids by the pool but as far as using it on the road forget it. The wifi-caf? etc are novel at best. I would load up you GPS unit before you hit the road. I just print out a map or two off yahoo and then leave all the wires, batteries and extra stuff at home. Less chance of it being stolen or damaged. Look into a cell phone with GPS. This seems the way to go, and I will be upgrading to a cell or PDA with GPS in a year or so myself as the prices drop. If you want to go with the laptop and want internet coverage all over, check into a cellular card for the laptop. In our area I found that US Cellular has the best coverage around the state.

Since you use Report host there doesn?t seem to be any advantage to working on the report away from the office. You can?t use a PDA to collect and transfer info onsite. So other than the GPS maps etc what do you want to use the laptop for on the road?

I would opt for writing the report in the air-conditioned comfort of home were I can file and edit.

icon_biggrin.gif

Aaron Pfaff

http://www.dedicatedhomeservices.com/

http://www.independentinspectors.org/wisconsin.html

Well, I decided on and bought the Linksys Wireless-G router with speed booster.

Also bought Delhomme GPS software, but can use the gps receiver with MS Streets and Trips too, so I'll just see which works better for me.

Aaron, because I use reporthost, most times I wouldn't need to upload while on the road...
What I was talking about was when I was literally on the road...quite often I'm on the road and spend the night away from the office doing inspections, and normally would have to wait until I got home to do the report. Now I can do them while away from the office.

--

Originally Posted By: chorne

Good luck with the credit issue, I tried last year and

Gerry isn’t into it, not related enough. Right Gerry?

Carla