Is there licensing in Florida?

Originally Posted By: bschwartz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi, I do home inspections in Wisconsin and I’m licensed there, is there licensing requirements in Florida? I’m thinking of doing inspections there in the winter months.

Brad Schwartz
Ultraspect Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

I will call you.

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: bschwartz

Thanks,

Brad

Originally Posted By: gporter

Not yet

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jbushart

when no consumer groups have been involved or consulted in the process.)

Will it be the group that wants to limit the means of obtaining HI training and education to certain schools/types of schools that they happen to earn a living from?

Will it be the group that wants the licensing criteria to match the criteria they use to belong to their association in order to further their claims that non-members are "unqualified"? (This group also uses the "consumer" issue)

Will it be the group that considers licensing as a means of regulating an otherwise unaccountable industry in this state?

All of these groups will be recruiting supporters in the coming months. Some have already started. It is an interesting process to watch.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

I spoke with Brad yesterday and gave him the quick run down on what’s happening here. I also told him I would follow up with him later this year.

Jay Schwartz

MAB - Member

jschwartz1 wrote:
I spoke with Brad yesterday and gave him the quick run down on what's happening here. I also told him I would follow up with him later this year.

Why not just post it? Some may wish to add to what you passed on.

--

www.monachi.org

James:

I think we have beaten this horse into glue already. No need to have more of the same on this topic. The guy was looking for a quick answer.

Trust me, any new developments down here I shall make NACHI aware.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Regardless of what camp you find yourself in, now that the Governor has given the task of creating a Home Inspector licensing bill over to the DPBR, licensing will all of a sudden ‘happen’ without any of the previous debate or rigmarole associated with prior bills.

When the DPBR has completed their work, legislation will be introduced, walked through both houses for approval and arrive on the Governor's desk to sign. No amount of phoning, faxing or letter writing will have any effect this time, since the order is coming from the top down. It is a veritable done deal, expect it to 'happen' some time next year.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

I would find it hard to believe that Politicians would not be influenced one way or another? I am sure someone is lobbying them.

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

bkelly2 wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that Politicians would not be influenced one way or another? I am sure someone is lobbying them.

Brian,

I would agree, but I feel that lobbyists would have less influence over the non-elected officials within a "department" than they do in the House.

What a department is more than likely to do is seek, on their own, specific guidance form outside sources that they trust for input. In this sense, it is likely that the smaller local factions would have less relevance than they did with the House.

I agree with Joe B. that the effectiveness of outside influences in drafting the legislation has decreased by the method prescribed by the very wise governor, but I do not agree that their recommended bill would be immune from amendment or modification as a result of contacts made by Floridians in response to it.

Keep your eyes and ears open and stay involved with the process that is sure to affect your career.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: gbell

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

gbell wrote:
Quote:
What a department is more than likely to do is seek, on their own, specific guidance form outside sources that they trust for input. In this sense, it is likely that the smaller local factions would have less relevance than they did with the House.

Very good observation since that is exactly what is taking place.

Obviously the definitive word in all of this would have to be... trust. The DPBR has the responsibility to craft legislation that they believe will directly provide protection to the public. Based on that prime directive what organization(s) do you think the DPBR will be trusting to provide meaningful input to the licensing process?

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jburkeson wrote:
Based on that prime directive what organization(s) do you think the DPBR will be trusting to provide meaningful input to the licensing process?

I'm only guessing, but I think one of their primary sources will be other states that have laws already in effect. From this source they can easily evaluate what works, what doesn't and what does it cost.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: Jim Thalmann

I was an ASHI member and home inspector for about three years in Pennsylvania. I had to stop for a while because of my childs illness. My family and I are thinking of moving to FLorida in the very near future. From what I see in this thread, if I join NACHI, get incorporated and get insurance I am good to go in Florida . At least at this moment in time. Is that true ? Thanks alot, Jim Thalmann

Jim:

You are correct. You do not have to join a trade association, however, we would love to have you here!

What part of FL are you looking at?

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

Thanks ! We’ve got a friend who is a realtor in Port Charlotte. He just got a brokers license so he’ll be opening an office pretty soon now. I figure I’ll already have some business when I get there ! icon_lol.gif Port Charlotte looks very nice. We’re going down to check it out next month. I’ve been itching to get back into the inspection business for a while now. Since I’m starting fresh I might as well do it somewhere with palm trees and salt water !!! icon_lol.gif

By the way, I’ll never join ASHI again. It seemed like every time I turned around they were requiring more money for this, that, or the other thing. It really turned me off as well as made my wife mad. I don’t like it when my wife gets mad. icon_lol.gif

Um Jim.

I forgot to mention. Charlotte County is the only County in FL to have licensing. You will need to pass the NHIE and a few other requirements. Contact our President, Blaine Wiley, for details. Prior to the licensing there were more than 100 inspectors in that County. Now there are 18!

Good Luck.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

BLAAAAAAHAHH figures. I better start studying. I hope it’s not a long process.