Interior QOD

Originally Posted By: gbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: lleesch

Okay, obviously we are missing the handrail on the upper section but the correct answer as I know it is not there as a selection. I have always been told that any stairs higher than 30" requires a handrail. So the correct answer is?

And thanks for taking the time to post these. I personally like code questions even though code is different across the nation. It still challenges the brain cells.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

I’m going to be disappointed if C is the right answer.

The question was "How would you report this?" and not what is the code. If I reported "All stairs with more than four risers are required to have a handrail on one side" that would leave my client thinking that any side of the open stairs would be fine.

Clearly, the most dangerous issue is the drop from the open sided stairs, and as I've always assumed that you're supposed to pick the best answer, I had to go with A. Of course, that would be even better if it read "The upper stairs should have a complete handrail on the open side along with balusters with no more than a 4" gap to protect the opening".

C is not necessarily wrong, but as I could only "report" one, I have to go with A.

Greg...sorry. I can be a pain...keep up the good work. Discussion can be as educational as the quizzes.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: gbell

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

a good quality banister will add a nice complement to the color to connect rug color to walls, and suffice the “hand rail” issue. not only that, the telephone is surely a trip hazard. aiwebs_011.gif

Originally Posted By: kelliott

Quote:
If you followed C you could end up with a handrail on the wall. That could leave you open to future liability should someone fall in the open area.

Wouldn't that be true of A & B also? Some dingbat might do just that no matter which section you write up, and put the handrail on the wall. Certain would be the cheap easy way out.

Originally Posted By: lkage

The open area of stairs with 6 risers should have a handrail.

Well, this stair opening has 9 rises so I guess I don't need one. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: staylor

Greg,

Thanks for " stepping" up & posting the QOD. Keep it up.