Alternative Florida Licensing Thread - Unmonitored

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only. Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

Alternative Florida Licensing Thread - Unmonitored

AuthorMessage
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jhagarty
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:26 PM       Post Subject:
jbushart wrote:

Are you suggesting a law like New Jersey's for the good people of Florida?

New Jersey is a Pro-Consumer State.

Legislation enacted is Pro-Consumer.

Are you suggesting a law like New Jersey's does not benefit the Consumer of Florida?

What points do you take issue with?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

James Bushart

Home Inspection Services of Missouri
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jbushart
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:27 PM       Post Subject:
jhagarty wrote:
jhagarty wrote:

What benefit is derived by the Business Owner by not having E&O Coverage?

What benefit is derived by the Consumer if the Inspector does not have E&O?

Just for grins, if you feel that E&O is a consumer benefit, why do they not carry it and pay the premiums?

--
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:28 PM       Post Subject:
jbushart wrote:

Just for grins, if you feel that E&O is a consumer benefit, why do they not carry it and pay the premiums?

icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

Explanation please?

--
Joseph Hagarty

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:30 PM       Post Subject:
jhagarty wrote:

Please define a pro-consumer state. I understand pro-consumer legislation, but what makes a state pro-consumer?

jhagarty wrote:
Are you suggesting a law like New Jersey's does not benefit the Consumer of Florida?

I did not suggest anything. I simply asked you if you were. Are you?

--

www.monachi.org

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:32 PM       Post Subject:
jbushart wrote:
jhagarty wrote:

Please define a pro-consumer state. I understand pro-consumer legislation, but what makes a state pro-consumer?

jhagarty wrote:

I did not suggest anything. I simply asked you if you were. Are you?

--
Joseph Hagarty

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:32 PM       Post Subject:
jhagarty wrote:
jbushart wrote:

Explanation please?

If it is that important to the consumer it can be purchased by the state through their tax dollars to cover them - not only from errant home inspectors - but contractors, builders, and whatever else, as well.

If it's not that important, then it should not be an issue, IMO.

--

www.monachi.org

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:35 PM       Post Subject:
jbushart wrote:

If it is that important to the consumer it can be purchased by the state through their tax dollars to cover them - not only from errant home inspectors - but contractors, builders, and whatever else, as well.

In What States?

and:

Why should Taxpayers subsidize your Business?

--
Joseph Hagarty

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:39 PM       Post Subject:
jhagarty wrote:

They shouldn't. This is a purchase of a consumer benefit. It is something that, as you said, benefits them. They should purchase their own benefits. I should not, as a businessman, be compelled to purchase additional benefits for my customers. If he wants it, he can buy it.

What's wrong with that?

--

www.monachi.org

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:40 PM       Post Subject:
If the faction led by the same folks who initiated HB 315 last year has control, an unnecessarily restrictive HI law will probably be approved by the legislature and - again - vetoed by the governor.

I do not think a measure as restrictive as New Jersey's would be signed in Florida. There is no consumer support for the cost increase it would take in tax dollars and in HI fees to enact it.

--

www.monachi.org

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:42 PM       Post Subject:
Which brings us back to the Original Question.

jhagarty wrote:
Jim:

What benefit is derived by the Business Owner by not having E&O Coverage?

What benefit is derived by the Consumer if the Inspector does not have E&O?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:45 PM       Post Subject:
jbushart wrote:
jhagarty wrote:

They shouldn't.

It is something that, as you said, benefits them.

They should purchase their own benefits.

I should not, as a businessman, be compelled to purchase additional benefits for my customers. If he wants it, he can buy it.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing at all.

--
Joseph Hagarty

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:45 PM       Post Subject:
I'll stick to my original answers, as well.

Besides, E&O is not an issue in Florida. It did not appear on any of the bills drafted last time and is not being considered, now, from anything I've read. Are you trying to initiate support for it?

--

www.monachi.org

ekartal3
NACHI Member: No
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 11:05 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Jeeziz Jim,
I go out to get chocolate chip ice cream and come back to see you conversed with Jim Morrison? I don't blame you, he's a good man. Anyway what brought this up:

jbushart wrote:

Jim Morrison cannot understand why it was a business decision for Erol Kartel to re-join NACHI.

The reason I ask is quite simple. I never said I came back for business reasons. I said I like the direction NACHI is moving, great people and a very informative (and entertaining) board. I had decided I'd rather be a member than not based on what I just mentioned. It's not like I'm going to raise the NACHI flag at my picnic tomorrow. Jim would be the first to admit there are some good things about NACHI and has previously mentioned certain people here that he has respect for.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect
James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 11:15 PM       Post Subject:
ekartal3 wrote:
Anyway what brought this up:

jbushart wrote:

Jim Morrison cannot understand why it was a business decision for Erol Kartel to re-join NACHI.

The reason I ask is quite simple. I never said I came back for business reasons.

I was referring to the post remarking that you re-joined NACHI, again.
jbowman wrote:
Quote:
"I like what I see and I just can't deny there is a good thing going on here."
Erol Kartal

Thank you Erol for those kind words. I for one never felt that you ever really left NACHI.

Welcome back and congratulations on your well thought out business decision.

Anyway, I don't want to say anything against your friend, Morrison. I'm happy to let others in more judical roles do that for me. icon_wink.gif

--

www.monachi.org

ekartal3
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 11:27 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
jbushart wrote:

Anyway, I don't want to say anything against your friend, Morrison. I'm happy to let others in more judical roles do that for me. icon_wink.gif

What are you talking about? You really trying to get people in trouble? I thought that was a joke. If you or any other people are trying to really cause trouble for my friends than you can go f#&k yourself.
James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 11:40 PM       Post Subject:
ekartal3 wrote:
jbushart wrote:

What are you talking about? You really trying to get people in trouble? I thought that was a joke. If you or any other people are trying to really cause trouble for my friends than you can go <b>f#&k</b> yourself.

It's off topic, but I will state that there are Massachusetts and federal officials who are reviewing complaints and suits that have been filed at several levels regarding the activities of your friend and some others he has chosen to join with (who may also be friends of yours) in certain activities intended to cause harm to NACHI and its members. The details will be made public, soon, I am told.

You may have noted that they wisely agreed with the authorities to shut down their blog. And that was a result of just the opening shot.

As for your very cordial invitation to engage in an impossible sexual act, I will decline, but thank you just the same. I have a headache.

Now, what have you to contribute to this discussion on Florida HI legislation?

--

www.monachi.org

jburkeson
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 9:11 AM       Post Subject:

jbushart wrote:

Having been a New Jersey licensed electrical contractor since 1985 I can answer that question. The licensing boards in New Jersey are under the auspices of the New Jersey State Division of Consumer Affairs. My electrical contractors license was issued by the New Jersey Department of Law & Safety Division of Consumer Affairs. The prime directive of licensing should be public protection and New Jersey has gotten it right, as it should be in all states.

There are those of us here in Florida who are working to help the DPBR see the value in adopting legislation that would in fact provide consumer protection much like New Jersey has done for decades.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Christopher Radan

Stem to Stern Inspection Services
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: cradan
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 9:38 AM       Post Subject:
jhagarty wrote:

Well, since you raised the subject...taxpayers (that is, US) subsidize (directly and indirectly) hundreds of thousands of businesses in hundreds and hundreds of industries and business pursuits. From Ethanol to Wal Mart, from dairy cheese to Boeing, we support it all. Frankly, off the top of my head, I can hardly think of a more appropriate business than professional home inspection for taxpayers to subsidize. We inspect for the protection and benefit of our clients (who, largely, are going to be tax-paying, home-buying consumers). Nothing would please me more than to receive a direct check (or a tax credit) in the amount of roughly $3,250.00 per year, to directly subsidize my E&O insurance premiums.

While we're on the subject, since consumer protection is so critically-important, let's not stop at taxpayer-funded professional insurance for real estate inspectors. Perhaps Florida should have a MANDATORY HOME INSPECTION clause in all residential real estate transfer contracts. A consumer will not obtain funding for a home purchase without an appraisal. The result(s) of this type of legislation is that the lender is guaranteed to derive some protection for their investment with regard to the valuation of the property. How about the consumer being guaranteed to derive some protection re: physical condition of their prospective property purchase?

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 9:47 AM       Post Subject:
Good point, Chris.

I wonder why the people who are forever insisting that E&O is there to benefit the consumer are not also insisting that the consumer carry the burden of its cost, as they do in all of their other benefits.

Certainly, you would think that if the consumer were truly in need of having their tax dollars pay for licensing boards, etc., they would much more quickly recognize the need to insure against system failures.

--

www.monachi.org

Richard Bennett

Richard Bennett Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: rbennett
Posted: Aug 20, 2005 9:48 AM       Post Subject:
This coming Monday there is the second meeting @ DBPR. They will accept input: in person, phone, FAX, letter, email and conference phone during the workshop.

Other orgs were present at the last meeting. DBPR is only planning on the meetings that are posted on their web site. No more. This is our only chance to be heard.

Is anyone going to monitor this workshop? Garry you said that you did the last one. What went on?? Do you think we should at least have someone let them know that we have over 1000 members in this state that are HIs. At least we should have someone go to the workshop wearing the NACHI tee shirt.

rlb
Go to page: Previous 1 ... 2 3 4 ... 25 Next