Licensing - Pros & Cons

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only. Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

Licensing - Pros & Cons

Do you support licensing of home inspectors?
Yes75%43
No17%10
Undecided7%4
Total voters: 57. This poll is closed.
AuthorMessage
James Bushart

Home Inspection Services of Missouri
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jbushart
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:10 AM       Post Subject:
rwand wrote:
We don't have licensing here in Ontario and self regulation has been a disaster, it has allowed 2 week inspection schools to flourish and has actually had a hand in endorsing those schools and flooding the market with rookie inspectors. SCARY! Only Colleges should be mandated to teach home inspection studies. Licensing can change that.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Ray,

Licensing can fix it...or create it. Illinois requires 60 hours of HI education and Arizona 80 hours, which can be accomplished in two weeks, prior to licensing.

--
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Blaine Wiley
President
NACHI Member: Staff
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:10 AM       Post Subject:
There are many schools which are equally as qualified as colleges to teach the home inspection courses.

Perhaps Canada should be more concerned about licensing the schools than the inspectors!
rwand
NACHI Member: No
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:19 AM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Reposted to Canadian Legislation.

R. Wand
James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:21 AM       Post Subject:
rwand wrote:
Good morning John

That is quite a read! It seems CAHPI sets the agenda without input from all stakeholders and its going to be their way. Just how many CAHPI executives are grooming spots on the National and or the Certification Council. You can be sure all the plum jobs have been taken by the insiders.

CAHPI has not ratified its by-laws, has not sought Oahi membership approval of Oahi reps on CAHPI, and Oahi -CAHPI is already the name of choice within Oahi without ratification of a name change by the membership. Apparently straw pole votes are enough to change things, regardless of what and how the by-laws apply. And these people want to set the agenda? SCARY!

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

icon_question.gif icon_rolleyes.gif Are you okay?

--

www.monachi.org

rwand
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:23 AM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Blaine said
Quote:
here are many schools which are equally as qualified as colleges to teach the home inspection courses.

Perhaps Canada should be more concerned about licensing the schools than the inspectors!

--
Free Nachos!

In Canada how can a two week course compare with a college course that is I believe a minimum of one to two years in duration? It can't. In Ontario Colleges already are licensed and are the ulitmate in ensuring proper qualifications. As to qualifications of instructors in the home inspection mills, I would suggest there are many that should not even be teaching, let alone reviewing their students. Colleges have qualified teachers and qualified testing.

Lets license inspection mills first ! icon_lol.gif

Cheers
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
rwand
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:27 AM       Post Subject:

Jim

Sorry posted that under the wrong thread it should be under Canadian Legislation. I have removed and put it under the right thread.

And no I am not okay. Sorry for not paying attention. icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
Blaine Wiley
President
NACHI Member: Staff
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:28 AM       Post Subject:
So are you saying that the 20 year housing construction superintendent, who is versed in all forms of construction, has dealt with building inspectors daily, etc., needs two years from a college prior to becoming a home inspector?
rwand
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 8:08 AM       Post Subject:

Yes, it doesn't mean he's necessarily qualified to inspect homes, anymore than a PE is qualified to inspect homes. But experience should not be ruled out and credits for education and experience should be taken into account of course.

Cheers,

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
Claude Lawrenson

Ontario Home Inspections Inc.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: clawrenson
Posted: Aug 19, 2005 9:27 AM       Post Subject:
Blaine as a point of interest - schools in Canada are "approved" by a ministry of education or in the case of a college or university - Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities. They cannot simply hang out a shingle and invite wannabe home inspectors to attend like the one and two week wonders.

How many builders are licensed? How many supervisors are "properly qualified"? Than why do we have inspectors - and the need for inspections? Than why do the colleges offer advanced level of training in these areas? Seems to fill the niche of getting people properly trained and gainfully employed.

Sorry - for the thread drift. But I felt clarification might be in order.

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Stephen Smith

Homefront Property Inspections, LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: ssmith6
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 3:55 PM       Post Subject:
Something to think about. Doesn`t your Barber or hair stylist have to undergo training and become licensed??? Shouldn`t we!!!!!
Stephen Smith

Homefront Property Inspections, LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: ssmith6
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 3:57 PM       Post Subject:
By the way, the above reply says that I am not a member, can anyone tell me why? I am a member
James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 4:19 PM       Post Subject:
ssmith6 wrote:
Something to think about. Doesn`t your Barber or hair stylist have to undergo training and become licensed??? Shouldn`t we!!!!!

Steve,

If the HIs of Montana want to be licensed, then they should be licensed. Licensing is not a bad thing if it is done correctly and for the right reason. It creates more problems than it solves in the states that have applied it, according to most published reports.

It's best to closely study all of the laws on the books, how they are applied and where they have failed. Then, draft your proposed legislation accordingly.

NACHI will support you if your lobby effort will not put any existing HIs out of work and/or harm the businesses of any existing HIs.

--

www.monachi.org

Ben Kelly

Kelly Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: bkelly1
Posted: Aug 21, 2005 5:01 PM       Post Subject:
bkelly1 wrote:
RISmedia sends mail out to many sources, with lots of influence in all areas of real estate. If it were NACHI that sent it out we would be doing cart wheels b/c we were mentioned and got the publicity.

Yes jim?
William Decker

Decker Home Services, LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: wdecker
Posted: Aug 22, 2005 8:47 AM       Post Subject:
Jim;

Here is another take, just for consideration.

Without licensing, a home inspector is a private party and/or company who provides a service for a fee. The exact nature of that service is defined by the contract, and therefore the contract has to be very detailed and is open to a great deal of interpretation and litigation.

With licensing, the inspection service is legally defined already. What is expected, at a minimum, is already known and written down in legalese, and does not have to be specifically defined as much in the contract. There is also some protection offerred to the individual inspector by this because he/she now holds a state license that the state issued that legally defines him/her as qualified by the state and establishs a de facto 'expert' legal designation. This goes a long way towards establishing a presumption of qualification before any court.

As my lawyer explained it to me, since the state already says that I am a qualified expert (even on my very first inspection) the burden or proof is much greater on anyone to prove that I did something wrong. In fact, in order to win litigation against me, a plaintif must prove not only that I missed something but also that I missed it as a result of gross negligence and/or malicious intent. In other words, the state license bestows on me a great deal of protection that I wouldn't have if I was merely a layman, in legal terms.

Licensed inspectors enjoy a higher level of legal recognition of expertize than electricians (not licensed in Illinois) and are recognized, by the courts, as expert witnesses much easier that an master union electrician would be, at least in a license state. This is because the license is issued by the state authority and derived from state legislation whereas the electricians 'authority' is issued merely by a private party, the Union. In fact, in most states, 'certification' by NACHI has the same legal force of law with regards to expertize as does a union card.

Also keeps my insurance rates down.

Just my two cents. Comments?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

rwand
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Aug 22, 2005 1:06 PM       Post Subject:

Firstly in Ontario Barbers and hairdressers have to be licensed. My lawyer told me not to waste my time with our Ont. Assoc. because I have made him well aware of the improprities in OAHI. It seems the same can be said of CAHPI neither one is prepared to play fair and ethically and follow their by-laws. I would like to think licensing up here in Ontario would give inspectors a chance to also limit liability. If we don't do it someone will do it for us and leave us out of the equation. Nachi could play a big role. I have a letter from the Minister of Consumer and Business services and he states Ontario is not interested in licensing at this point in time. If he only new what was going on. Actually he does because I put it in a letter, but given the fact that he is a Liberal and the Liberal party are defacto liars both federally and provincially we know that we might as well pee into the wind if we need a shower.

Cheers
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
Go to page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next