tequipment.net run-around (rip-off?)

Originally Posted By: polinger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Back on June 21, 2005 I ordered a TIF8800A Combustible Gas Detector, a spare sensing tip, spare battery charger and spare Ni-Cad batteries. First of all I didn’t realize all the (spare) items were included but here’s the real rub. My company card was charged for the whole order on June 23. I received the spare parts a couple of weeks later but no TIF. Called 877-742-8378 to find out the status of the remainder and told the item was back-ordered until July 25. After July 25 came and went I called again to learn the item (a TIF8800A) was back-ordered until August 4. On August 4 I received in the mail a TIF8800 (NOT THE TIF8800A!). Called 877-742-8378 and talked to a friendly lady named Susan. She said she would call me back shortly after she researched a little. Three hours later I called them back and got ahold of Susan again. She explained that they (tequipment or somebody) are always shipping the wrong items. She explained that I should get a refund of $26.70 for the difference on my card in a day or so. That was August 4. Well today is August 25, my card’s billing cycle ended August 18 and no credit. icon_evil.gif

Anyone else have similar dealings with www.tequipment.net?

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Peter,

Never done business with them. I bought my TIF 8800A at Johnstone Supply House. It is a national wholesale company with stores all over the country. I just went in one day opened up a cash account and started buying most of my testing equipment through them. I paid a little under $200 for the 8800A. They have specials every month and one big annual special. YOu can get some really good deals plus you get it that day without all the hassles you described. If it craps out they take it back. See if they have a Johnstone’s near you. I ve never been disappointed. Hope you can get some relief.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Oh yeah. I bought some replacement NiCad batteries just recently. Paid almost $30 for them, got them home and opened up the box and found that for about $6 I could have bought NiCad at Walmart that would work just as well. Standard size C cells. Felt like a rube after that. icon_redface.gif

OK, here is the latest. Called 877-742-8378 to find out what happened to my credit. Explained that Jane is not in on Wednesdays (today is Thursday) and she probably did not get a chance to submit the credit to accounting. I should call her sometime after 9:15 tomorrow (Friday) and talk to her directly. icon_wink.gif

Stay tuned.

By the way I keep entering the 877 phone number because I can’t find anywhere on their website to contact them and I only got the phone number on the packing slip. I want you guys to be able to call them if you have any orders placed and have no way, yet to speak to someone.

Doug,

There is a Johnstone Supply a couple of towns away. Will have to stop by there this weekend and check them out.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tpszczolkowski

Check ebay, I just got a new in the box never used TIF- 8800A for $119.00 plus shipping for a total of $132.50. It was from USAtoolwharehouse, once I saw there website I also got a Tic Tracer 300CC for $40.00.

Originally Posted By: tpszczolkowski

Thats USAtoolwarehouse…can’t spell

Quote:
Good Day,

This is to advise that your card has been re-credited for $26.70 on 8/26/05.

I apologize for the delay and any inconveniences caused.

If you have any further inquiries please feel free to contact us.

We appreciate your business.

Regards,
Jane
Tequipment.net
"The lowest prices for test equipment on the net!"
Test Equipment Division: www.Tequipment.net

It can take up to 5 days for transactions to be posted on my card so I will keep checking.
By the way their price for the TIF8800 is 196.22 with S/H. USAToolwarehouse's price is better and no foul-ups.
It's a shame that businesses have so much trouble handling transactions when the competition is out there just waiting...

Originally Posted By: Peter Stoermer

Hello All,

My name is Peter Stoermer, and I work for Tequipment.NET. I would like to have the opportunity to clear a few things up in hopes to avoid any further issues about this.

1) Our website CLEARLY lists our phone number in several conspicuous locations, including right below our logo, which is on every page. I also find it mysteriously convenient that you edited the email you posted from Jane without showing our phone number, which is in all of our signature files. Our toll free number is in our LOGO, Fax Local and toll free is on the bottom of every single page, and we have a contact us at the top of every page which lists 4 different email addresses AND all of our numbers and address.

2) I am not sure who you were actually speaking to, but there is not, nor has there been a "Susan" employed here. Unless you are changing names to protect the innocent ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

3) For the record, TIF, the manufacturer, had been having a VERY tough time for the last 6 months meeting production timelines on different products, all for a variety of reasons. The 8800A was simply one of those products that they have missed deadlines on very often over the summer. For this I do apologize on their behalf.

Our SOP is to inform customers that place online orders that cannot be filled immediately that there is a lead time (a customer who calls (and trust me, we get plenty of calls all day, so the number is VERY prominent) will be told if there is a lead time issue right away). The lead time we quote is based on the information we are provided by the manufacturer. We are just as beholden to the manufacturer's timetables as our customers are. I wish we could get them all to produce what our customers need, when they need it. The simple fact is that they do not. We only get them when they ship them. If they give us bad information, then we get the blame.

4) Your order actually was shipped direct from TIF with this shipment since they were indeed so late on these. I am not sure what you are referring to, when you claim you were told "that they (tequipment or somebody) are always shipping the wrong items."

TIF in this case was the party responsible for shipping you the TIF8800, instead of the 8800A.

5) "Back on June 21, 2005 I ordered a TIF8800A Combustible Gas Detector, a spare sensing tip, spare battery charger and spare Ni-Cad batteries. First of all I didn't realize all the (spare) items were included"

If you go back and visit the webpage for the TIF8800A (which I will not link to, in case people think it's an attempt to draw more traffic to the site) you will see that the "spare" items you ordered are labeled "Replacement" items. However, I will take your comments under advisement to help make this more clear. We are always looking for ways to improve the site.

We at Tequipment.NET are the first to apologize for any oversight or issues of service we are responsible for. We also take the heat for the manufacturers we represent (over 30 and counting). Unfortunately, there are issues that are beyond our scope to control.

I hope this presents anyone who reads this thread with some balance. We are a company that strives for excellence in service and good 'Net citizenry.

Peter Stoermer
Sales Manager
Tequipment.NET
877-742-8378

Mr. Stoermer,

Thank you for the information. Your explanation of the shipping problems is well received.

I would like to respond to your concerns about comments I have made.

1. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) Yes, the phone number is indeed all over your web site. My reason, when editing out the phone/fax numbers and Jane's email address in my posting on a public BB was based on internet paranoia (I don't post such things as a rule out of several years experience). I have since deleted Jane's email from my system. If not for that reason I would gladly repost her email, in its entirety here.

2. Susan is the name I understood the lady to say when I did call customer service. I wrote 'Susan' in my notation about the call. 'Susan' did say "They are always shipping the wrong items."

3. When I received the partial shipment there was no information about when the back-ordered TIF8800A might be shipped. I had to call to learn it's delivery would be delayed until July 25. Within a couple days of that date I called again to learn the date had been bumped to August 4. Mind you, Tequipment had the money since June 27 and I had to keep calling on the successive shipping dates to ask when my testing tool would arrive. OK, the manufacturer was letting the shipping date slide. Is there a better way to keep your customers informed?

5. Something like "batteries and charger included" would be nice.

I did, in fact, receive the credit but why did it take from August 4 to August 26 for Jane to enter the credit into the system?

I admit my error in not noticing the phone number prominently listed on your web site. Clearly, being upset is not a good time to deal with anything. I apologize for that.