NYS: Still No Application for Home Inspectors!

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only.  Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

NYS: Still No Application for Home Inspectors!

AuthorMessage
Bill Smith

Smith Home Inspection
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: bsmith
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 6:05 PM       Post Subject:
eusa_think.gif

--
Bill Smith
www.SmithHomeInspection.com
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

tallen
NACHI Member: No
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 6:09 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 6:11 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
Quote:
Sometimes I even piss myself off. icon_wink.gif

Well, that takes care of everyone. icon_lol.gif

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

James Bushart

Home Inspection Services of Missouri
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jbushart
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 8:14 PM       Post Subject:
Mr. Merrell,

I was able to find another school called Western State University that lists you as the Dean of the School of Real Estate. Is this the school that you received your phD from? They seem to have lost their accreditation, but hope to be getting back to people soon. The problem with that is that the Missouri Department of Education which certifies all proprietary educational institutions that operate in the state has no record of their certification.

http://www.westernstates.edu/schools.htm

http://www.westernstates.edu/

It is interesting that you have not listed the fact that you are the Dean of Real Estate at Western States University in any of your promotional materials.

The school has no mailing address, but does have a telephone number (573-996-7388) in which one can obtain a recorded message. It is reportedly located in Doniphan, Missouri, which is a very small town in the impoverished "boot heel" section of Missouri. It should not be hard to locate this facility, if it exists.

I will speak with some folks on Tuesday, next week, and get this all straightened out.

--
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Joe Farsetta

Advanced Professional Services Group, Inc.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jfarsetta
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 9:31 PM       Post Subject:
Jim,

Bill lists Western States University as where he received his doctorate.

Bill,

The interesting thing regarding business here in NY, is that a person need not register as one. Its true. In the case of a home inspector, especially one who works part time, it is not unisual for a person to operae, and report profits as ordinary incoe on their tax returns. Its perfectly legal. In fact, it was one of the items I spoke with the Licensing Team up at the DOS in Albany about several months ago. This is part of the challenge in setting a benchmark of the time line thresholds that the two grandfathering provisions set forth. As there is no requirement, per the NYS Department of Taxation and FInance to collect sales tax for performing a home inspection, there is no requirement at all to register as a business, or to inform the State that you are doing this work.

Joust a point of clarification regarding business entities here in NY. You are correct in that Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, Corporations, and LLCs do need to register. Others do not. In fact, the license is extended to the individual INSPECTOR, and not a business entity.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 9:37 PM       Post Subject:
jfarsetta wrote:
Jim,

Joe,

Then his doctorate appears to be worthless. This school is not authorized by the state to issue diplomas. It lists him as a "dean", but it has no students. I'll check and see if they were in 1987, when he said he graduated from there. Maybe it was a doctorate by correspondence or something. Missouri is a long way to commute from New York. icon_wink.gif

I'm going to examine all of his other claims (including those he deleted) and see if there are any other interesting facts to uncover.

--

www.monachi.org

Paul Sabados

Accu-Pro Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: psabados
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:33 PM       Post Subject:
Western States University is not listed here. eusa_whistle.gif

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/

Couldn't find it on a Missouri search either.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

tallen
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:35 PM       Post Subject:

Quote:
I'm going to examine all of his other claims (including those he deleted) and see if there are any other interesting facts to uncover.

Thank God you are here icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif icon_lol.gif

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:41 PM       Post Subject:

jfarsetta wrote:
Jim,

Bill,

The interesting thing regarding business here in NY, is that a person need not register as one. Its true. In the case of a home inspector, especially one who works part time, it is not unisual for a person to operae, and report profits as ordinary incoe on their tax returns. Its perfectly legal. In fact, it was one of the items I spoke with the Licensing Team up at the DOS in Albany about several months ago. This is part of the challenge in setting a benchmark of the time line thresholds that the two grandfathering provisions set forth. As there is no requirement, per the NYS Department of Taxation and FInance to collect sales tax for performing a home inspection, there is no requirement at all to register as a business, or to inform the State that you are doing this work.

Joust a point of clarification regarding business entities here in NY. You are correct in that Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, Corporations, and LLCs do need to register. Others do not. In fact, the license is extended to the individual INSPECTOR, and not a business entity.

I heard tell you resigned? icon_razz.gif

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:48 PM       Post Subject:
His statement that he owns an inspection firm called New York Inspection Services seems to have a glitch. It seems his website (which is still under construction) says it is called New York State Inspection Services.

http://nyinspections.netfirms.com/

--

www.monachi.org

Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 10:57 PM       Post Subject:
Impressive site. I wonder when it went on-line.

--
Joe Farsetta

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:02 PM       Post Subject:
jfarsetta wrote:
Impressive site. I wonder when it went on-line.

It was cached on 8/20/05. Still under construction then, too. Looks like it was put up in a hurry. You would think a home inspection school instructor would be able to avoid advertising that he does, both "Residential Home Inspections" and "Commercial Home Inspections".

They must do a bang up business since he is personally reviewing reports (plural) on a daily basis and doing part time inspections, himself.

--

www.monachi.org

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:09 PM       Post Subject:
It's also new enough NOT to be listed on his links page for the mega corporation Merrell Industries. You would think, with all of his other businesses listed here of little or no consequence, he would have included his very old and established home inspection business, wouldn't you?

http://www.merrellindustries.com/

Look fast, for I have a feeling he may want to make this addition pretty quick. icon_lol.gif

--

www.monachi.org

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:17 PM       Post Subject:
Mr. Merrell,

You cited your credentials and challenged the integrity of other members in your quest to affect the legislative agenda for legitimate home inspectors in New York.

Your credentials have been formally challenged and your moral authority to lead in any endeavor is in question. Any time you would like to offer an explanation or discount any of these things tha have been uncovered, you may have the floor without interruption.

--

www.monachi.org

Michael Boyett

Capital City Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: mboyett
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:17 PM       Post Subject:
Jeez Jim, it says on almost every page of his websites that his offerings are NACHI approved. What more do you want? icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:20 PM       Post Subject:
mboyett wrote:
Jeez Jim, it says on almost every page of his websites that his offerings are NACHI approved. What more do you want? icon_biggrin.gif icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gif icon_confused.gif I think that this is what riled Joe F. up in the first place. It would appear that poor Joe, on this issue, is the Billy Mitchell of NACHI. History has proven him right.

How about it, Mr. Merrell? Is there anything posted, yet, that you would care to address? Because...there's more.

--

www.monachi.org

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jschwartz1
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:27 PM       Post Subject:

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

James Bushart

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:40 PM       Post Subject:
Here is Mr. Merrell's official biography as it appears on his main web page. Notice anything missing?

Quote:
Dr. Bill C. Merrell, Founder and Director of the

Merrell Institute

Appraisal Education Network School

Center for Professional and Legal Studies

Hauppauge Real Estate School

We are pleased you are considering our school over the many schools throughout the region. Our past students are a cross section of the country with students from over 30 states and 12 different foreign countries, with our most recent foreign exchange student from the Country of Turkey. We are the first school in New York State to offer approved Appraiser Continuing Education and the only school in New York State to host the Appraisal Foundation's USPAP Instructor Certification Course, which USPAP instructors must successfully complete in order to be permitted to teach USPAP in New York and throughout the country. We have even donated the web site, www.appraisalfoundation.com to the Appraisal Foundation to keep it from detractors of the Industry.

With over 25 years experience in the field of Real Estate and Appraisal, we are both proud and happy to be able to offer a diverse and well rounded educational program for those students who truly want to learn and succeed in the the twenty first century.

Dr. Merrell has developed more real estate and appraisal courses in New York State than any other educator. Dr. Merrell also is proud to write articles for various news media and internet media sites. His experience includes Real Estate, Home Inspection and Real Estate Appraisal. Dr. Merrell is qualified in multiple state and federal jurisdictions as an expert witness, and is the author of 6 educational manuals, used in conjunction with approved NY State courses.

Dr. Merrell: Author, Educator, Speaker, Qualified Expert Witness, and most important...Husband and Father

Thank You For making us The Most Successful Appraisal School in New York State and the Number # 1 Visited Appraisal School in the World. Dr. Merrell believes the true reason for our success is our no nonsense approach. Quoted, Dr. Merrell has stated,"...we say it like it is, not like people may hope it to be. Our facilities and our faculty are our school. We offer new classrooms, highly qualified educators and a great educational program. That sums it up. I'd like to see a school attempt to outperform us. It would give us the drive to do even more. We are usually working at 110%"

http://www.merrellinstitute.com/drmerrell.html

Oops....forgot all about that doggone home inspection business that keeps him so busy. Dr. Merrell: Author, Educator, Speaker, Qualified Expert Witness, and most important...Husband and Father bot not home inspector.

--

www.monachi.org

tallen
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:54 PM       Post Subject:

Home Inspection Web Site design and hosting by Yalia Technology Design. Copyright ? 2005, all rights reserved.

Ask Yaila icon_lol.gif

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Joe Farsetta

(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:59 PM       Post Subject:
Extensive...

www.merrellindustries.com
www.nyshomeinspectionstandards.com
www.homeinspectorschools.us
www.newyorkstatelisensedhomeinspector.com
www.newyorkstatelicensedhomeinspectors.com
www.homeinspectionnews.com

The one I find a bit troubling is nyshomeinspectionstandards.com, where it states the following:

To benefit the Home Inspection Community we have published the comprehensive Standards of Practice Guide for Residential Home Inspectors in new York State. Obtained from the prestigious NACHI: www.NACHI.org it is our belief that Home Inspectors must follow guidelines uniform to the Industry and to fellow inspectors everywhere. The following represents these Uniform Standards of practice for Residential Home Inspectors in New York State.

While I appreciate the gesture, no one involved in legislative efforts here in NY should be so bold as to actually suggest that anything should represent the still-to-be-developed Standards of Practice for home inspectors in New York. Call me crazy, but isnt this a bit presumpuous? Further, I fail to see the need to register this domain, when one could simply include this on a website. I also find it disturbing that anyone would take it upon themselvf to include our association SOP in such a website, adding such verbiage as

Quote:
we have published the comprehensive Standards of Practice Guide for Residential Home Inspectors in new York State

Who is "we"?

Legislative Committee? MAB? SOP Committee? Dan Osborne? Nick? Me?

Nice, for sure... but I am a bit confused. Then again, I am confused most of the time anyway.

Maybe I am making something out of nothing...

--
Joe Farsetta

Go to page: Previous 1 ... 2 3 4 ... 12 Next