Software to create a program

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone know any program creation software. Looking to create my own reporting program with buttons, data base, photo upload, etc. It may take years but I’d like to try it. There has to be something out there.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Joe Funderburk

For a top of the line programming environment – Visual Studio. With it, you can write applications in JAVA, or other languages, but VB (Visual Basic) may be easier (but it’s still not for the faint-of-heart). You first have to learn the programming language, which can be overwheiming. Visual Studio is on the expensive side. But it’s a professional programming environment used by professoinal programmers throughout the galaxy.

As an alternative, and one that may work for you, consider Microsoft Access. It's a database application that you can customize and program yourself. You can create complex applications using only Access, complete with buttons, forms, etc. You may only need to buy a book for programming in Access (you can get them at most book stores). Access is often included with Microsoft Office, so you'd only have to lay out the cost of a book. That would be my suggestion.

How do I know? BS in Computer Science (2001). Ex-computer programmer as of April of this year. Now a home inspector because I hate the corporate lifestyle.

--
Thanks,

Joe Funderburk
York County, SC
Alpha & Omega Home Inspection, LLC
jfunderburk@aohomeinspection.com
www.aohomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I have always thought access would be a good avenue, but could never figure it out. It’s amazing that it’s included in office but they do not give directions on it’s use. I’ve created databases in access, but never could figure out the interface creation part of it. I may go buy the book…thanks.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Kevin,

Why would you spend literally 10s of thousands of dollars creating your own software when there are numerous software products out there now that you can customize to the way you want to do your inspection ? I would suggest Visual Studio .Net as a developers tool and stay away from Access…there is a reason why it is free with Office…plus you cannot run any Access type application on a pda type device.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: gporter

Thanks for the info. I would also like to make my own program.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Jeff

Your Statement "plus you cannot run any Access type application on a pda type device. " is not correct.

There are many PDA programs that can run a Access type application. You can even create a Access data base on a PDA. (Example DBAnywhere)

--
Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI
Viking Construction Services Inc.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Monte,

When I said “Access type application” I meant using the full version of Microsoft Access and all its interface features are not compatible on a PDA. You cannot create a Microsoft Access application on a PC and then run that same application on a PDA. Yes… you can use some third party apps to get to an actual Access type datafiles called Pocket Access on a PDA (.cdb instead of .mdb) but that is just the raw data storage not any of the user interface.

Jeff