Letter to Minister Fontana

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only. Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

Letter to Minister Fontana

AuthorMessage
W Paul Blakey

The HomeTeam Inspection Service
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: wblakey
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 2:21 PM       Post Subject:
Instead of fighting the CAHPI/CHIBO situation I think what NACHI should be doing (especially in Canada) is setting forth ideas exactly in alignment with the basic National Initiative idea (that is, better training and licensing for ALL home inspectors).

Just as CAHPI and the CMHC have done so unilaterally, NACHI should proceed with setting up an accredited system whereby home inspectors will be able to prove their expertise.

Publicize this heavily with the various Realty companies and government ministers and we have a whole new ball game.

Once again, I encourage everyone to be polite and considerate, not to promote this as, "we are better than you," but as an addition to the entire concept which is to provide a better service to consumers and to improve the whole home inspection industry.

If CAHPI has based their training on the Carson Dunlop course, then why not use the various Canadian chapters as training centers where a number of inspectors could group together to pay for the materials, instead of each one of us having to fork out $2500... we could even set up a library loan system if inspectors are too far apart to meet physically.

To me this makes way more sense than just meeting for the sake of chewing the fat...
Raymond Wand

Raymond Wand Home Inspection Service
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: rwand1
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 3:58 PM       Post Subject:
Quote:
Instead of fighting the CAHPI/CHIBO situation I think what NACHI should be doing (especially in Canada) is setting forth ideas exactly in alignment with the basic National Initiative idea (that is, better training and licensing for ALL home inspectors).

Good idea, but I am not sure anything as complex as CHIBO is required. I am for licensing for the very reasons some of which are self explanatory above. There is no assurance whatsoever that self regulation works. We know that from historical evidence and evidence to date. Self regulation by home inspectors is not working with the current models and in my opinion will not work in the future.

Quote:
Just as CAHPI and the CMHC have done so unilaterally, NACHI should proceed with setting up an accredited system whereby home inspectors will be able to prove their expertise.

I think those steps are being taken by Nachi by introduction of the Master Certified Inspector?

Publicize this heavily with the various Realty companies and government ministers and we have a whole new ball game.

Quote:
Once again, I encourage everyone to be polite and considerate, not to promote this as, "we are better than you," but as an addition to the entire concept which is to provide a better service to consumers and to improve the whole home inspection industry.

If CAHPI has based their training on the Carson Dunlop course, then why not use the various Canadian chapters as training centers where a number of inspectors could group together to pay for the materials, instead of each one of us having to fork out $2500... we could even set up a library loan system if inspectors are too far apart to meet physically.

To me this makes way more sense than just meeting for the sake of chewing the fat...

Good points, I think Nachi is working on that, and more and more regional groups are being formed. I believe Nachi executive is of the belief CAHPI and CHIBO are of little relevance. There may not be any CHIBO without the adequate numbers. Why would anyone jump through the hoops when there is no guarantee CHIBO is going to deliver the goods as promised.

Strength in numbers I believe.

Cheers,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON[/quote]
Go to page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next