notes before writing on computer during inspection

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only. Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

notes before writing on computer during inspection

AuthorMessage
Peter Siposs
NACHI Member: No
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 3:47 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
I'm new to the inspection world and am wondering what people use or do to take notes before writing them in the computer. Something with memory joggers to check for this and that etc. What do you guys do?
Other than taking the Notebook everywhere with me what do I use?
Michael Boyett

Capital City Inspections
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: mboyett
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 3:55 PM       Post Subject:
First of all, Welcome to the NACHI bulletin board. Good to have you on board.

For my first 20 or so inspections I used a hard copy printout with memory joggers. After getting very comfortable with the process I went to just a simple blank printout of my inspection report software and make handwritten notes that I transcribe onto my computer after I get back to the office. Let me know if you would like a copy of the memory jogger version. Unfortunately I only have it in pdf format.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Peter Ehrenpreis

PKE Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: pehrenpreis
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 4:03 PM       Post Subject:
Michael,

This is a question that I was also "thinking" about.

I know you made the offer of sending the "other" Peter icon_biggrin.gif a copy of your "memory jogger" but could you send one to me too?

Thanks,

Peter
Michael Boyett

Capital City Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: mboyett
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 4:12 PM       Post Subject:
Peter E. , Please send me an e-mail and I'll reply to you with the file.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Jay Moge
(as of 3/25/07)
Very Active Poster
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 8:55 PM       Post Subject:

Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with NACHI.
hay Peter, welcome to the board. my thoughts, if your ganna write on your computer, just make sure you use pencil so you can erase it. icon_lol.gif by the way how can you tell a blond has been using your computer?

A: there's white out all over the screen...... icon_biggrin.gif icon_cool.gif icon_wink.gif
Martin Pasquinelli

Structure & Site Inspection Services
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: mpasquinelli
Posted: Sep 26, 2005 9:23 PM       Post Subject:
Digital photos.
Peter Foxe Smothers

Pelican State Inspection, L.L.C.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: psmothers
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 12:52 AM       Post Subject:
I use a digital camera and take pictures of the defects I find. I also carry a very small (2x4 maybe) spiral note pad. I start off outside. Once I make my way inside I do the attic, HVAC, hot water heater. I use one page on my pad to copy the serial & model numbers of the above . Next I walk the inside of the home and write down the name of each room on the 2nd page of the notepad. (dining, living, master bed, bed 1, bed 2 etc.) Before I inspect each room I first get my note pad with the room names, point with a finger to the current room and snap a picture of the note pad.
[ Image: https://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/l/look.JPG ]

I then take pictures of defects in that room. Once done I move to the next room point to the name, take a picture of the pad and so on. I find by doing this it lets me keep my findings accurate without taking notes.

Hope this helps.

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tim Hejnicki

ALL-SPECS Property Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: thejnicki
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 8:54 AM       Post Subject:
I made my own sheet on microsoft word. I take notes during the inspection and then enter them at my office computer...The note sheet runs in the same order as my report software..
Carla Horne

Grand View Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: chorne
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 10:14 AM       Post Subject:
Welcome,
A hand held recorder is very helpful.

no need to take notes and it will save you time. Hope this helps.

Carla
Andrew Way

Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: away
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 5:18 PM       Post Subject:
I am with Carla. Digital recorders are very nice.

Tried writing notes but found out that I can't read my own writing. Plus it was taking forever.

For what it is worth, I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 camera that also allow an audio snippet to be recorded with each picture. Haven't tried it yet for an inspection.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Gary Porter

GLPs Home and Mold Inspections LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: gporter
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 8:07 PM       Post Subject:
I use a digital camera and a tape recorder.

--
Gary Porter
GLP's Home and Mold Inspections LLC
Orlando, Fl 32828
321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

lclark
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 10:04 PM       Post Subject:

I take my time and take accurate notes. I only take photos of concerns I think the client doesn't notice, primarily: Defects in the attic, foundation, crawlspace. I also take photos of main electrical disconnects, main water shutoff valves, and gas valves. I found that sifting through many photos takes me longer to do the report. I tried to use a recorder one time and felt funny talking into it in front of the client. It could have been that since I was a trucker some years ago, I always started with "Breaker Breaker 19". icon_eek.gif

Just my double nickle icon_wink.gif

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

lclark
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 10:16 PM       Post Subject:

Along with photos and good notes you need a guide line to your report, so you don't forget anything. I use reporthost and they have a check sheet that follows their report.

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Brian Kelly

Dwelling Doctors LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: bkelly2
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 11:17 PM       Post Subject:
I put my laptop in the kitchen and take photos of defects. Between areas inspected I input the info to my laptop. Sometimes I write on my hand.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Jeff Knight
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 11:58 AM       Post Subject:

I can't believe no one has mentioned using a handheld pda to select your notes on WHILE you are doing your inspection and then you can download the information to your PC to create your report. No reentering of data. This is the wave of the future and it can have prompts and everything to help you remember what you need to inspect and even have information on the handheld to help you do your inspection like standards of practice or building code info.

Jeff
Joseph Kormos

A-1st Look Home Inspectors Inc.
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jkormos
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 4:44 PM       Post Subject:
PDA, 3D Software, Digital Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, small note pad for scribbling and drawings. And definitely have a system. top to bottom or bottom to top, inside to outside, what ever works for you, it will all come with time.
Justo Mickey Rivera

Shield Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jrivera
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 6:23 PM       Post Subject:
pictures, many, many pictures with minimal writing icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
Brian Kelly

Dwelling Doctors LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 5:52 PM       Post Subject:
Jeff Knight wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned using a handheld pda to select your notes on WHILE you are doing your inspection and then you can download the information to your PC to create your report. No reentering of data. This is the wave of the future and it can have prompts and everything to help you remember what you need to inspect and even have information on the handheld to help you do your inspection like standards of practice or building code info.

Jeff

Believe it Jeff, just waiting for PDA technology to be worth it. I will switch with the next generation of gadgets. As I believe they will function as I would like them to. I came close to uying a 624 Mghz Axim but now I'll wait. Don't really need prompts to know what to inspect. icon_wink.gif

--

Jeff Knight
(as of 3/25/07)
Inactive Poster
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 8:45 PM       Post Subject:

Brian,
Can you define for me what "PDA technology to be worth it" ? Is there a specific feature you are looking for ? We have clients that have been using PDAs for over 9 years now. The HP iPaq 4705 is a killer PDA. If you have never tried it then you may not be aware of what you are missing. A PDA can do everything a regular computer can do...the software just needs to be written to do it.

Sorry...I did not mean "prompts" but I meant tabs or buttons where you can easily get to reference information to help you during your inspection. A good example may be a breaker size chart like this:

ALUMINUN / COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM : Breaker size

12 AWG - 15 Amp breaker
10 AWG - 20 Amp breaker
8 AWG- 30 Amp breaker

Jeff
Brian Kelly

Dwelling Doctors LLC
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 10:50 PM       Post Subject:
Jeff Knight wrote:
Brian,
Can you define for me what "PDA technology to be worth it" ? Is there a specific feature you are looking for ? We have clients that have been using PDAs for over 9 years now. The HP iPaq 4705 is a killer PDA. If you have never tried it then you may not be aware of what you are missing. A PDA can do everything a regular computer can do...the software just needs to be written to do it.

Jeff

I am waiting for a faster processor, larger screen, and better wireless. Soon

--

Go to page: Previous 1 2 Next