BC Association info

Originally Posted By: rwand1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

FYI

http://bcipi.asttbc.org/
http://www.ichibc.org/

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Originally Posted By: jkoong

How many members in bcpi now?

What is associate member means? means part time inspector? or not passed all the exams ?

Please give details Raymond,
Welcome back on the message board

Originally Posted By: lwillick

James:

Associate means in association with, which means not a full member.

Regards
larry

Hi James,

I don't know the numbers of members, but more importantly I don't think the Associations want anything to do with the CAHPI National.

It also goes to show that there are now six distinct home inspection associations in Canada.

1. Nachi
2. Oahi.
3. Ashi
4. Bcipi
5. CAHPI
6. Independent Inspectors of North America

Looks and sounds like splintering to me.

Regards,

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: jkoong

http://www.nachi.org/nachi-stats.htm

We have way better member's supports for every Chapter.

I personally support CAHPI as well because I am Canadian Citizen.
I think this is the only first Canadian Home Inspectors Association to light up the Canadian consumer protection, before long long times ago,what did we have try to protect the public ? BCIT they have training class but most of their inspectors have other trades as well, some of their members are Realtors, Plumber ,house renovator and electrician they do not mind their members working with other trades as well. no code.
BCIP they told me you can be Realtor and Inspector too two years ago!

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rwand1 wrote:
Hi James,

I don't know the numbers of members, but more importantly I don't think the Associations want anything to do with the CAHPI National.

It also goes to show that there are now six distinct home inspection associations in Canada.

1. Nachi
2. Oahi.
3. Ashi
4. Bcipi
5. CAHPI
6. Independent Inspectors of North America

Looks and sounds like splintering to me.

Regards,

Unfortunately even if you add all these members up I feel there are more Home Inspectors who do not belong to any association .
Many are just as qualified as those who belong to associations

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Points of clarification

1. OAHI is a member of CAHPI- National

2. Some members belong to ASHI in Canada, that are mostly part and parcel of a CAHPI or provincial association of CAHPI

3. Some members of the Independent Inspectors of North America also hold membership in CAHPI, and or provincial associations

4. Some members of these also hold membership in NACHI

The choice is up to a individual what to join, and also if they want to belong to more than one association.

So why does splintering occur? My best thought on that - some do not side with higher or lower standards. Some choose to cover more than one association for business reasons. Others feel associations does not equal better home inspections. I was well trained in inspections prior to joining any association, thanks to my education and training in architecture.

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Quote:
Points of clarification
1) OAHI is a member of CAHPI- National
2) Some members belong to ASHI in Canada, that are mostly part and parcel of a CAHPI or provincial association of CAHPI
3) Some members of the Independent Inspectors of North America also hold membership in CAHPI, and or provincial associations
4) Some members of these also hold membership in NACHI

The choice is up to a individual what to join, and also if they want to belong to more than one association.

So why does splintering occur? My best thought on that - some do not side with higher or lower standards. Some choose to cover more than one association for business reasons. Others feel associations does not equal better home inspections. I was well trained in inspections prior to joining any association, thanks to my education and training in architecture.

--

If Oahi is a member of CAHPI then whether I pay dues to CAHPI or not I guess I am a member because I am a member of Oahi? The name change is not legal. Therefore the name has no weight in law and little meaning.

Sorry, just because you have Architecture training does not mean you are qualified to inspect. Ditto for P. Eng. It is a unique profession succintly unique. Since when do Architectual schools teach inspections? I guess because I have a background in various related fields I too am uniquely qualified? Last time I read the rules Arch., Engineers, Contractors, Renovators, basement underpinning and deck builders, et ceteras, were not given automatic entry and titles without priror learning assessment. I know many P. Eng who are inspecting and don't belong to any association. Why do many people not belong to home inspection associations? Because of the corruption and the petty politics and the bullying and special interests.

CAHPI-Ontario has a long way to go before they are truely legitimate. The first place to start would be a membership vote on the name change, not decisions from behind closed doors or decrees by those who think they know what is proper for the rest of us.

In my opinion if things are not legally acted on or done legally, the associations are leaving themselves wide open for trouble. The courts certainly would not recognize such schemes without due process via the membership being excercised of their input via the rules as laid out by the by-laws.

If a corporation were being run like this the BOD and the CEO's heads would be on a platter, because the shareholders won't put up with the tardiness and abuses.

My thoughts, but what the hell do I know? ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Quote:

Why would you support CAHPI when you don't know all the facts? If you mean you support them because you are a Canadian Taxpayer I would agree, because that to would mean I support them as a Taxpayer.

You have seen for yourself the continual denial of information from CAHPI for whatever reason and the mixed messages. So much denial of information that OAHI found it necessary to remove all those public domain links I provided on three seperate occassions. Information that it did not want the members to see so they could think and formulate for themselves. Gotta love the Nazi mentallity to nuture mushroom growth! ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

When the final product comes out in a few weeks we will all see how far off the mark I and others have been about the National. Time will tell.

Cheers,

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Ray your take is interesting, but I would ask a very simple question. Why and how does the membership of “said” association pass such changes at the AGM? By membership vote. Certainly I agree that the membership is not involved in the day to day operation of the association.

Again why and how does "certain" issues such as changes get passed at BOD meetings. Likely because they have the "authority" on "certain" issues - definitely not all issues to make such changes.

Whether it be OAHI, CAHPI or just like NACHI, ASHI or any other organization; if everything had to be voted upon - it would grind down an organization to a full stop.

Equally and fairly regarding your comment about architecture or engineering are you stating these disciplines are not trained in building systems, structures and design and also how to inspect? So how are they not qualified?

Remember likely NACHI - OAHI and CAHPI are not for profit corporations. Unfortunately, they cannot not run without volunteers or members elected to represent the membership.

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Raymond Wand

Alton, ON

NACHI Member

jkoong wrote:
http://www.nachi.org/nachi-stats.htm

We have way better member's supports for every Chapter.

I think this is the only first Canadian Home Inspectors Association to light up the Canadian consumer protection, before long long times ago,what did we have try to protect the public ? BCIT they have training class but most of their inspectors have other trades as well, some of their members are Realtors, Plumber ,house renovator and electrician they do not mind their members working with other trades as well. no code.
BCIP they told me you can be Realtor and Inspector too two years ago!

I appreciate your thoughts .
I can not speak re BC but I do feel the Ontario association of CAHPI is only for the members at the top .
It is almost completely closed for those who wish to move up .
It also does not listen to the membership or reply to many questions .
I was a strong supporter until I found out we had Two Treasurers resign in mid term because of discrepancies in the finances .
I and many others asked for a proper audit of the books . we where completely ignored .
I offered to pay for a forensic audit so that this could be settled properly , No answer no audit.
I am no longer a member ( My Choice ) do to much ignoring the membership questions and finding out that many of the directors make more money from teaching and doing very few Home Inspections .
It looks to me that they are after new students to make more money for them selves and do little for the existing membership .
It has been proven that some directors ignore many rules .
The future of the Ontario association needs some drastic changes if we hope to see it improve.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

rwand1 wrote:
The by-laws and Roberts Rules of Order are succint on the running of the association. Something as important as the name change and gravity of the National would require that changes be done openly and within the confines of the by-law. I believe it is called democracy and more importantly would be a requirement of any provincial or federal body. That is why we have AGM and "Special Meetings" so that the membership can act and vote accordingly.
Seems like a denial of rights.

Speaking of democracy I went to the OAHI CAFE forum and tried to sign on. Below is what I got. Since when considering what has been going on at the CAFE and the outright lies told by Mr. Mullens and Mr. Bottoms about me can they suspend me when I didn't do anything wrong other then defend myself? What is even more disturbing is the fact the Forum Admin is a paid position and the Administrator isn't even a member of the Assoc. clearly she takes her orders very well. It sure is strange how Oahi has a history of denying rights without due process. Which leads me to ask you Claude are you part of the problem or part of the solution? So far I don't see any solutions other then your colleagues usurping Due Process.

OAHI Knowledge Cafe

Welcome to the Knowledge Cafe.
Your Forum Access has been suspended until 11/18/2005

Ray Sorry to hear that they have done this to you.
It again just confirms what I and others have been saying for a while OAHI/CAHP is a closed dictatorship
Run by some of the BOD and the past presidents council.
It dumfounded me when I found out how much power the Past Presidents Council has .
The membership has almost no say in how OAHI is run.

This attitude continues to help NACHI , NACHI continues to grow while OAHI is stagnant.

Be Happy Join NACHI

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Quote:
2005 OAHI Article 29 By-laws

1. The by-laws of the Association may be repealed or amended by:
a) By-Law enacted by a majority of the directors at a meeting at the Board of Directors and sanctioned by an affirmative vote of
at least two-thirds (2/3) of the RHI and Associate Members in attendance or represented by proxy at a special meeting duly
called for the purpose of considering the said By-Law, or
b) By-Law proposed by a petition of 25% of the RHI and Associate members (in accordance with Article 11(2) and sanctioned by
an affirmative vote of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the RHI and Associate Members in attendance or represented by proxy at a
special meeting duly called for the purpose of considering the said By-Law.
2. A minimum of 30 days Notice shall be provided of any proposed repeal or amendment of the By-Laws.
3. The board shall endeavour to advise the membership of proposed By-Law changes, solicit opinions of the members and committees
affected by the proposals, and provide a forum for discussion before Notice of any proposed repeal or amendment.

The rules of engagement are quite succint to my understanding.

How can you have debate when those who raise issues are arbitrarily silenced?

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member