What is this?

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/x/xxx_Small.jpg ]

Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Vinyl sheet goods have a paper backing that is gray in color. If moisture or more importantly, water gets under the vinyl, the paper backing darkens. It can happen a number of ways; poor seal around the base of toilet, wear and tear on the surface, just being constantly wet can eventually cause it to happen. I have never heard of any way to reverse it as it is not cost effective. Typically most folks just replace it. It has a tendancy to just get worse once it begins.

Originally Posted By: gporter

This is very common when people miss the toilet in the dark

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

looks like a fairly new toilet? i’d guess tank sweat and like Doug said, water damage to vinal floor backing. i see it all the time. they need a new piece of vinal. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Here are some causes,

Wax bowl is not set

Toilet is loose

No caulking around the bowl (Caulking will help so water can not get under the vinyl).

Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI

Viking Construction Services Inc.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Charles,

Simple.Toilet is leaking.That area usually indicates wax ring did not seat.Recommend that a plumber is needed to make required repairs.Recommend vinyl to be replaced as mold has begun to grow between vinyl ply and its paper backing.

Good day
Cheremie

Originally Posted By: dnice

ckratzer wrote:
Charles,
Simple.Toilet is leaking.That area usually indicates wax ring did not seat.Recommend that a plumber is needed to make required repairs.Recommend vinyl to be replaced as mold has begun to grow between vinyl ply and its paper backing.

Good day
Cheremie

First take a look at the subfloor (if possible) from underneath to see if it has penetrated. Then I would first recommend consulting the owner as to whether there had been any recent plumbing repairs and if so, to produce receipts.

I would only recommend that a qualified plumbing professional be consulted. Let him/her make the call as to the specific needed repairs, if any.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a Dunkin-Donut to me. ha. ha.

Marcel