Railing Height

Originally Posted By: bsmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What would be the proper height for a railing on an interior balcony ? Is it 34" or 36"? Thanks.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

i beleive 34’’, but i’ve always gone with what is comfortable and don’t acutaly measure unless it “feels” wrong. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: lkage

36" around here.

“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him.”

Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Handrails are required if there are two or more risers in the stair system. Railing height minimum is 34 in. to 38 in. Grips’ must be 1 1/4 inch to 2 5/8 inch circular cross section. The maximum handrail projection into the stairway is 4 1/2 inches. Handrail ends shall return to wall or newel post. [IRC 315.1]

Guardrails are required for any walkout in excess of 30 in. above the floor/grade. Minimum height for guardrail is 36 in. (34 in. stair handrail). Maximum opening size and balusters less than 4 in. (6 in. opening at tread/risers/rail triangle). [IRC 316.2]

Is this new construction?

If not, I evaluate family dynamics and call this out to the client. I do not recommend reengineering stairs systems, however tall people and short people are at risk.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Thanks to you all.

The house is an older home (1971) with a small (48") balcony of the stairway that overlooks the living room below. The rail was 34 1/2" high.

--
Bill Smith
www.SmithHomeInspection.com
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Guardrails.PDF )

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Bill,

Some of those older homes really get way out there outside the code (yours sounds pretty good). After all these years I would never recommend remanufacturing a stair system. If the client has a problem with it, they should go look for another house. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

If anyone is keeping track the 2003 IRC on handrails R311.5.6

R316. covers insulation.

--
"not just an inspection, but an education"

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Jae

Maybe we like insulated hand rails ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Bill;

Railings as you asked, I am assuming that you are talking about guard rails. Those that are on a level surface. Residential requires at least 36" and Commercial has to be 42" in height.
Wall rails are allowable from 34" to 38" Commercial or Residential.

As David explained, any surface above grade 30" or more shall require a railing and three risers or more shall require a hand rail.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe if the stairs are 4' or wider, two handrails are required.
Handrail diameter shall be no more than 2" in diameter and will be at least 2 1/2"s from the wall to the centerline of the rail.

Hope this helps.

Marcel