Applied Science TRADEMARKING everything inspection related!

Originally Posted By: rcooke
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Get ready for CAHPI/ONTARIO ( OAHI) and the CHIBO 11 presentation and Accreditation.

Past experience has shown me I can not trust them to do it properly.
..... I wonder Could this be another WHISTLER?.....!!!!!

CAHPI will soon be trying to convince all how YOU! should join and get your National Certification .

I am lead to believe this will only cost about $1,000:00 to take.

I expect CAHPI will tell how great it will be and how you too can make a lot of money.
( they say you do not have to join CAHPI ) but it will be much better if you do . ( FOR CAHPI I GUESS ).
Those who do not will be left behind ( SO CAHPI SAYS ).
OAHI is the organization who does not answer mail or look after out standing complaints . ( Some over 15 months old )
OAHI is the association who has spent so much money they are raising the members dues. ( are they in financial trouble ?)
( I guess they continue to loose too many members ).

OAHI says NACHI will be finished this next spring. WOW! Can you say they high HOPES! ( TO GET RID OF THE "Nachos")

I understand that CAHPI has some ex Canadian Members of NACHI trying to help them get organized.

OAHI is the association who refuses to have a proper audit and still has not presented a proper audit for a long long time .

I feel there is no way they can even hope to have this go ahead with out complete co-operation fron NACHI and all its Canadian Members.

(“While CMHC and the Government of Canada have no role in the certification of private home inspectors, the Corporation understands that the signing of certification equivency agreements between CAHPI and other certifying organizations is the key to national implementation”)

It should be very interesting OAHI says it will have a self Insurance Plan for its members in Jan 2006

Many spent over $1,000:00 to go too whistler last year to get certified.

I have not heard of any doing ( The huge amount of PDI ) inspections promised .

The PDI session in Whistler will count as 'The Course' for all attending, and CAHPI will be giving those people the CAHPI PDI Certification.

The difference is that since CMHC is heavily subsidizing this 'session' and it is our pilot session, the attendees will be expected to provide information and feedback about the course and protocols and their field experience. There will be 120 'consultants' at this session. Since the CMHC subsidy basically saves our inspectors around $ 12,000 in total, we felt that nobody would mind helping out a bit.

There will be several courses offered at a later date. We hope to have these courses delivered in every province within the next few months. CMHC estimates that about 200,000 homes in Canada will need this inspection each year, so we need to get people properly trained and certified.

Bill Mullen

-----Original Message-----
Sent: October 22, 2004 11:01 AM

Subject: Re: Home Insurance

Once again, that might be true about local realtors, but NOT the

leaders. If you had sat in on our meetings, you would have been

very impressed with the way they showed their support and

allegiance to CAHPI. I didn’t hear the name of any franchises.

However, we did discuss one group of inspectors called Nachos or

something which they thought was a sad joke on consumers.

The President of CREA has asked us (CAHPI) to be part of a two

way task force to develop and discover ways the two associations

can work together to improve relations and help consumers. They

are most interested in our training and education than anything

else. The least talked about topic was insurance.

The President of OREA has also asked OAHI to open up the lines of

communications more. Great things are possible in Ontario.

CAHPI now has the recognition we wanted, and we will now work on

several initiatives with CREA, OREA , BCREA, etc.

Bill Mullen

Roy Cooke sr ...............1938
A HAPPY NACHI member
.... Try it you too can be Happy .....http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm.

Originally Posted By: rwand1

Bill who?

CHIBO what?

Licencing when?

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Raymond Wand CHI/RHI
Alton, ON

AS per usual those who come to the NACHI site get more infomation about Canada and what is going on then is given out by the Canadian associations .

For info on CAHPI
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrfiles/C/CAHPILetter_to_Provinces_12_08_055.pdf

Roy Cooke sr A Happy NACHI member

This is most strange for a National Body to release this info in this manner.

No disrespect but it is also very strange that CAHPI is well aware of the chain of command within NACHI. This raises concerns of CAHPI’s intentions and disregard for proper dissemination of information.

It is even more perplexing that this whole certification matter has once again been done without the knowledge of the rank and file of the various provincial associations. Of the members I have talked to in OAHI not one of those members have heard anything in this regard. Further it is also disheartening that Mr. Mullens who has been on record numerous times contradicting himself and his role and that of CAHPI and CHIBO is now the Project Co-ordinator.

It is apparent that anything goes. I also have concerns with at least two of the people on the council, there roles and their private business operations. These positions on the Certification Council were appointments, there was no process for the members to elect or approve such appointments. Nest feathering?

This whole announcement once again shows how a few have managed to dictate to the rest of us how things will play out. That is not fair nor is it acceptable.

Concerned as a taxpayer and member of a provincial body.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Who oversees CAHPI?

Who does CAHPI report too?

It looks like they are accountable to no one.

It also looks like the directors are appointed without confirmation from the membership of the provincial bodies who make up CAHPI. No input, no choice, no nothing. What happen to due process and accountability? Do you know how your tax dollars are being spent? Do you as a taxpayer expect accountibility?

I have been speaking to a number of OAHI inspectors and no one has heard anything about the National, NO ONE, nor have they been informed about the latest at;

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrfiles/C/CAHPILetter_to_Provinces_12_08_055.pdf

Only one member on the OAHI CAFE has asked why Nachi found out about the news release before OAHI and CAHPI members.

Many are obviously in the dark, and questions remain unanswered. As it is renewal time in OAHI I sincerely hope the members take the time to find out just who is accountable to them and where their dues are going. The membership at large is obviously being hoodwinked. Government funding with no accountability for what seems like some pipe dream.

Ignorance is blissfll. I guess many like drinking from the Kool Aid pitcher. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) How do you see the glass of Kool Aid? Half full or half empty?

CHIBO the budgie says, "awk accountability, awk accountability, awk nest feathering, awk nest feathering."

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

As per usual many Canadians get their information from NACHI .

OAHI and Cahpi still seem to be secret organizations,

they did not before and still do not give the membership the information they should .

I understand ASHI could be in big difficulty .

I have a feeling the Canadian Chapter of ASHI ( OAHI )is also in big difficulty .

I understand OAHI still has not got the 2003 books to balance and have not released the 2004 finical statement yet .

Could this be because there is a government official looking into improper procedures at OAHI?

I understand they have a shortage of money and are having to raise the members dues.

Unbelievable where could the money be going they give very little to the membership in any ways.

OAHI keeps calling them selves a Home Inspectors Association when they really are a teaching School .

It is so unfortunate they never tell those who wish to become inspectors that they have a very high rate of those who start, never make it to the RHI level .

I have been led to believe 95% never get there.

This is a very shady way to treat people who spend a huge amount of money trying to get a chance to make a reasonable living .

The old trust us does not seem to be working any longer as many members are getting upset.

Roy Cooke sr .

A Happy NACHI Member

Quote:
CAHPI-National and all its Provincial / Regional Members have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding recognizing CAHPI-National as the official body for implementation and management of the National Certification and Accreditation Process in Canada.

Who are they kidding? The membership in OAHI has not been consulted nor has there been a memorandum circulated to the membership. Maybe the self appointed directors of CAHPI have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding on their own accord, but lets not publish false and misleading information to make things look proper and above board.

CHIBO the Budgie says..."awk ... Huston we have a problem ...awk."

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Quote:
Sarnia man heads inspectors

A Sarnia home inspector has been named to head a national program which will certify home inspectors.

Bill Mullen, owner of Bluewater Home Inspection, has been a professional home and property inspector in Sarnia for 13 years and has held several positions on the boards of both the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) and its national counterpart, the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI).

Mullen will oversee the implementation phase of the national certification program for Canadian home inspectors, which will be put in place after eight years of work and $2 million, to educate, assess and certify about 5,000 home inspectors in the country under the umbrella of CAHPI.

Mullen will direct the certification process of individual practitioners and the accreditation of educational institutions involved in training. All practitioners in Canada will be certified by the end of 2007.

The program is a joint project involving Canada Mortgage Housing Corporation, Human Resource and Skills Development Canada, the federal ministry of housing, and CAHPI.

Rest assured the National Certification will be in good hands! Now if we could only be assured of some semblance of credibility.

Guess I will have to write a letter to the editor and set the facts straight.

In the meantime I am trying to find the vomitorium.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

I have a feeling that Ontario is very close to having 50% of the inspectors in Canada.

Bill Mullen says CAHPI will be looking after and educating the 5,000 inspectors in Canada.

Total~ Certified Inspectors in ontario is

#1 in is NACHI with ,Certified Home Inspectors … 378

CAHPI/ONT. Registered Home Inspectors …220

CAHPI/ONTARIO Associates H.I…99

CAHPI/ONTARIO Appliciants H.I…7

#2 is CAHPI /ONTARIO…total …326…326

Total Home inspectors In associations In Ontario........................704.
If we double that for the rest of Canada. Comes too..................1408

Using Mr. Mullens figures there could be another 3592 inspectors who are not affiliated with NACHI or CAHPI/ONTARIO.
This to me is very unfair to think CAHPI who has about 650 Certified Home inspectors expects to control the whole industry.
Looks to me like a big STORM on the horizion.
He also states that there has been about $2,000,000:00 of taxpayers money invested .
If this is the case I would like as a taxpayer and a home inspector to have some say in my future.
There just might be a lot more who feel the same as me and need to know what is going on
and how they can have a say in their future .
Roy Cooke sr
A HAPPY NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: vmitchinson

I was certified as an Engineering Technologist (CET) in 1972 in the field of Architectural Technology by The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta. ASET has over 16,500 certified technologists in Alberta and the North West Territories. I applied for recertification in 2000 and was certified as Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T). in the field of Architectural Technology.

Go to http://www.aset.ab.ca/ To review ASET’s standards and code of ethics.

ASET is over 43 years old. ASET has been lobbing the provincial gov. for over 30 years to to pass legislation that will recognize ASET as the body that has self governing status. We almost had it then an election was called and we are back to square one. Each province has it?s own set of laws that govern the regulation and recognition of it professionals. Although The feds may recognise a group in Ontario it does not follow that they have jurisdiction in the other provinces unless each province passes legislation providing that recognition.

Each province has a Tech association and is a member of Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT). When it comes to home inspections certification by ASET is all I need. Although CAPHI may try to say they have the exclusive right to prevent anyone that is not certified by them to do home inspections, they are walking on water. Also Architects and Professional Engineers would also be amply qualified to do home inspections.

It seems to me that CAPHI has convinced a few people in Ottawa that CAPHI represents all home inspectors. As a member of ASET and NACHI we have to stand up and assert our rights before they are loss to a small self interest group.

PS I?m not a lawyer so any statements about the law are only my opinion.

All along we have been led to believe that Certification will be voluntary!
Even Mr. Fontana alludes to voluntary certificaton in his letters to me.

I too believe the amount of money spent does not equal $2 million.

It is terrible to see our tax dollars going towards this type of bull. We have people who can't get doctors, line ups in the emergency rooms, native Canadians suffering because of poor housing conditions on reserves, with poor drinking water. The same bunch of idiots who used our tax dollars to pay their crooked Liberal friends in Quebec.

Mr. Mullen is well known for not accurately portraying the truth in the past and it appears by his latest efforts he likes to tout his own horn yet again. I suspect he sent in his own press release to embellish his own image. Shameful.

As to membership numbers.... Oahi has listed as a member "Test Dummy RHI", 2 friends of Oahi are counted as members. It seems they have a problem adding numbers. The question is, who is Test Dummy and is he qualified? Don't believe me? Go here: http://www.oahi.com/PUBLIC/mapmain.asp
Type in Test. ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

vmitchinson wrote:
I was certified as an Engineering Technologist (CET) in 1972 in the field of Architectural Technology by The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta. ASET has over 16,500 certified technologists in Alberta and the North West Territories. I applied for recertification in 2000 and was certified as Applied Science Technologist (A.Sc.T). in the field of Architectural Technology.
Go to http://www.aset.ab.ca/ To review ASET's standards and code of

Thanks Vern we are on the same side of the fence.
CAHPI has convinced a few Home Inspectors in Ontario that CMHC has picked them to be the leaders and They are trying to convince all that if we do not go along with CAHPI we all Might as well get out of home inspecting.
Bill Mullen last year convinced a few that there was a PDI course being put on in Whistler and those who spent about $1,000.00 would be the chosen few to teach this course .
All those Inspectors who became PDI inspectors where going to make about $1,000:00 an inspection .
They had a large amount sign up and then suddenly things changed and it was only an
experimental course but would be ready in under one year .
I have heard nothing more about this and know of no one who has made any money from the PDI course.
CAHPI still sent the letter out to the Ontario Members on CAHPI .
Those who have read the letter got it from the NACHI site or Bill Mullens Private CANUK list.
I have not heard of any other release.
Please keep reading and letting others know your thoughts .
I urge any others who are concerned to voice your opinion or this could sneak through .
I am glad that NACHI and a few members did much digging and this information has been put out to read .
I am nervous about what we do not know is going on.
Having had dealing with Bill Mullen and OAHI know how untruthful they can be .
They still do not follow their own rules ./
Roy Cooke sr
A HAPPY NACHI member

Vern

I believe you to be correct. No need to be a lawyer to figure out this is all smoke and mirrors. There appear to be many people buying into a scheme wrought with hype, built on the foundation of intimidation, lies, and special interests.

Its to bad many inspectors are myopic and apathetic.

Thanks for speaking up.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam:

I have concerns over an article which appeared in your publication on Monday December 19, 2005 in the Business Section.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business/BusinessMonday/2005/12/19/1359292-sun.html

A Sarnia home inspector has been named to head a national program which will certify home inspectors.

Bill Mullen, owner of Bluewater Home Inspection, has been a professional home and property inspector in Sarnia for 13 years and has held several positions on the boards of both the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) and its national counterpart, the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI).

Mullen will oversee the implementation phase of the national certification program for Canadian home inspectors, which will be put in place after eight years of work and $2 million, to educate, assess and certify about 5,000 home inspectors in the country under the umbrella of CAHPI.

Mullen will direct the certification process of individual practitioners and the accreditation of educational institutions involved in training. All practitioners in Canada will be certified by the end of 2007.

The program is a joint project involving Canada Mortgage Housing Corporation, Human Resource and Skills Development Canada, the federal ministry of housing, and CAHPI.

Unfortunately the person doing the quoting is not correct. There will be no mandatory certification of Home Inspectors it will be voluntary. I have been told this unequivocally by the Honourable Joe Fontana, Minister of CMHC. Nor to date has $2 million dollars been spent on this project. Nor are there 5,000 home inspectors in CAHPI, they only have (approximately) less than 1,000 members across Canada, nor has CAHPI or OAHI released any of this information to its members.

I think it would behoove you to check out the facts for yourselves to ensure the stories you print are accurate and not misleading.

I would also like acknowledgment of receipt of this email, and if at all possible I would like the London Free Press to issue the correct facts on this story.

Thank you.

Yours truly,
Raymond Wand R.H.I. #00029
Member of
National Assoc. of Home Inspectors (NACHI)
Ontario Assoc. of Home Inspectors (OAHI)

Quote:
Office of the Hon. Joe Fontana, P.C., M.P.
620 Richmond Street
London ON N6A 5J9

Dear Mr. Fontana:

Further to my letter dated Thursday December 15, 2006, I have further concerns with comments made by Mr. Mullen of CAHPI. In your earlier correspondence you assured me that Certification would be voluntary. As you can see this article in the London Free Press of December 19, 2005 it is at odds with your earlier communications to me.

I am very concerned with the way in which taxpayers money is being spent on a project which has no accountability and the misstatements this article portrays to its readership.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business/BusinessMonday/2005/12/19/1359292-sun.html

Would you please be so kind as to inform me why inaccuate information is being published and why a designated spokesperson is permitted to disperse inaccurate information knowing it to be incorrect? I am very concerned about the lack of accountability of CAHPI and the monies it receives from your department.

Thank you very much.

Yours truly,

Raymond Wand R.H.I. #00029
National Assoc. Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI)
Ontario Assoc. of Home Inspectors (OAHI)

Cc. David Tilson MP - Dufferin, Wellington, Peel

When I was a little boy I got caught in a lie, This embarrassed me so much

I avoid ever again telling a lie.

Unfortunately some did not get the message I did, and still try and fool some people.

This is so unfornatuate that it has come to this we had the making of a great association .

Many directors over the years have tried to pull it all together and have given up in disgust.

NACHI came along at the right time and it is proving that the cream does rise to the top.

NACHI is growing and doing much for all it’s members.

Roy Cooke sr
A Happy NACHI member

Originally Posted By: rfrancis

I seem to recall a simular story a while back, and wasn’t something along the line “I was misquoted” was the response!!!

NACHI numbers are up, the other place the numbers are down, so instead of looking at the problem and trying to fix it.

Lets blow the numbers way, way up.

5000 in their dreams, their numbers are way down and like a school yard bully they don't want to admit it to their fellow members.

Oh I know the reporter made a typo an added a extra 0 by mistake.........

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Don't be mislead - The ASHI Experience is yours

An erroneous news release was recently distributed reporting
"that the long running Trademark infringement dispute between
ASHI's "ASHI Experience" and NACHI's "HI Experience" recently
settled on November 29th, 2005 when the United States Patent
and Trademark Office awarded NACHI the Trademark."

Author Nick Gromicko indicated that "Use of "ASHI Experience"
or "The ASHI Experience" is an infringement on NACHI's
Registered Trademark."

Please note that while NACHI owns their registration as identified,
your continued use of The ASHI Experience and ASHI Experience
is perfectly legal and is in no way an infringement on their mark.

To view a PDF of the letter from ASHI's Legal Counselor
providing specifics on this matter, please click here.

We hope this unprofessional tactic has not inconvenienced you.

Hi Robert, long time no hear from…

Where is the invisible man?
It looks like someone other than the president is running things in CAHPI.
This seems to be an ongoing problem. Anything can be said, anything can be done, and anything goes. Stupidity is met with silence.

If you ask me the inmates are running the asylum! How in the hell can anyone, public included have any confidence in this program given the history of what has and is going on? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

This is not the first time membership numbers either in CAHPI or OAHI have been exaggerated to try and make things look bigger than they are.

Has anyone seen Test Dummy R.H.I.? I am beginning to think Test Dummy is running things in OAHI.

Everybody loves Raymond; well not everyone.

Merry Christmas. (can we still say Merry Christmas in Canada where political correctness has taken over?)

Claude,

With all due respect we are not talking about ASHI. We are talking about CAHPI and OAHI.

There is a problem, NO ONE seems to be in control. It unfortunately is a repetitive theme. CAHPI makes itself the scape goat repeatedly.

NO ONE in CAHPI is accountable, NO ONE in OAHI is accountable. Where does the buck stop?

I also have concerns about bias seeping into the process of certification given the fact some of the players who have been appointed have demonstrated their bias repeatedly.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

![](upload://mcU7XqWveUQiJbn0WUujOSsLn4P.jpeg)