Wow a long crack.

Originally Posted By: gporter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a 2 year old house today that had a hairline crack that started on the back porch into the house through the living room tile and out the front door. This was over 40 feet. I recommended a structural engineer check that out. Was I correct?

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dspencer

Straight crack? Photo?

Straight line. Hairline. Hard to see in photo. Went along the grout. Started on the cement and went to the tile and end on the front porch.

Gary Porter

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

Originally Posted By: dspencer

Possible crack on the expansion joint?

Thanks Darren.

Gary Porter

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

subflooring should be staggard and tile should always overlap joints for just that purpose. icon_cool.gif

This was a 2 year warranty issue. I had the builder call me today to ask me about what I saw. He said they will not fix it. It is not their problem.

Originally Posted By: dduffy

gporter wrote:
This was a 2 year warranty issue. I had the builder call me today to ask me about what I saw. He said they will not fix it. It is not their problem.

Gary, if I was the homeowner I would surely make it the builders problem.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Gary;

Hard to tell what the problem is, but my understanding is that the hairline crack has migrated through the tile floor.
The standard for control joints that have not been controlled through sawcutting to control where the cracking and shrinkage occurrs, is common in the residential market and the process to control that cracking or shringage to appear in the finish product of flooring material can be controlled in that installation by applying a mesh polyviynle matt under the tile flooring at the location of the crack in the concrete slab. This bridges the crack and allows movement without visual cracks in the tile floor. This would help in the erratic cracking and shrinkage gaps that would occurr in uncontrolled saw cutting of the slab that normally would be done.

Would recommend another flooring Contractor to evaluate.

Hope this helps.

Marcel