Gateway's new tablet convertible

Originally Posted By: jlaughren
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_mad.gif I recently purchased the new Gateway Convertible Tablet PC in late October, 2005 and I have had nothing but problems with it!. Gateway is doing nothing about it at this point, so I have had to put a stop payment on it through my credit card company. The computer looks like it could be good, but at this point it just takes up space in my office. I have had to go back and use my 6 y/o Dell that has always worked great. I recomend anybody out their looking for a new tablet, stay away from the new Gateway Convertible.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck out there.

Originally Posted By: jkormos

So whats wrong with it, I have an Averatech touch screen and I like it lots except for the battery life.

Originally Posted By: gporter

Joesph give me info on your computer. A touch screen would be neat.

Originally Posted By: jlaughren

The many problem with the gateway are:

1. It does not shut off, you have to shut it off manually, by holding the power button.

2. The wireless internet card continouslly looses the internet signal, even using it next to my wireless router.

3. It does not read XD picture cards, as it states, it is suppose to.(XD is used by Olympus digital cameras)

4. It came with a worm in the software.

5. It will not recall any passwords stored in it.

6. It will not come out of sleep mode and it has to be shut off, causing you to loose any information you were working on, including inspections in progress.

7. After talking with gateway and sending many, many emails I was told by a supervisor Badge #pc326 that he did not care what I ordered in the computer and that he was not going to help me. I am still waiting for a call back from gateway after leaving 2 more messages with other supervisors and technical support, last week.

The Tablet portion of the computer is very helpful, making entering reports very easy.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

sorry to hear of yourcomputer problems, they can be hugely frustrating.

I feel the need to plug Fujitsu here, they just about invented touch screen laptops and tablet PC's. I am now on my 3rd in 5 years and never had a problem with any of them and all still work just fine.

I have a 1999 vintage B142 sub notebook (now running GPS in my car)
A ST3500 pentablet (same one FEMA used uptil last year)
A 6 month old T series touchscreen convertible tablet.

I really can't say enough good thinks about Fujitsu (except for the price)

Regards

Gerry