CMI Cancelled

Originally Posted By: bmerrell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The CMI Course is cancelled

Originally Posted By: dduffy

I highly doubt using a designation and or logo of the sort would make a difference in anything related to someone chosing a inspector.

If someone wanted to get creative making logos to put on their websites how about- Arizona Master Inspectors-California Master Inspectors-New York Master Inspectors-Etc.

Would it make people want to call you rather than someone without logos or designations of this nature, I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Okay, so you think it may not be worth squat.

But I think it would look cool after my name...

Justo M. Rivera, CMI

Come on, that coupled with my NACHI magnetic strip card and my oversized NACHI tee shirt, we're talking AWESOME !!!

![aiwebs_011.gif](upload://kZxBJI3tGz2E3UjHHmNTpcdQwLw.gif) ![aiwebs_011.gif](upload://kZxBJI3tGz2E3UjHHmNTpcdQwLw.gif) ![aiwebs_011.gif](upload://kZxBJI3tGz2E3UjHHmNTpcdQwLw.gif)

I don't see any other H.I. org. being as creative or as marketing saavy as this joint !!!

jrivera wrote:
But I think it would look cool after my name...

Then you need to get yourself one, Justo. Like I said get a whole bunch of different ones made from a design company if you think it will help your business or advertising.

New York Master Inspector
Master Home Inspectors of New York
Master Inspections of New York
New York Master Home Inspector
Master Commercial Property Inspector
Master Home Inspector of New York

There is no end to the possibilities you can come up with. Do a good inspection and you can call yourself anything you want.

Most people don't even know who NACHI or the other orgs are. The next time you do an inspection ask the individual if they know who NACHI is or the Other orgs. Unless they are a Realtor, 85% of the people I have asked don't have a clue, much less care as long as you do a good inspection.

Personally, I joined for the valuable information on this board, which is unique.

Not needed to discuss- course has been cancelled by NACHI

Originally Posted By: mboyett

http://www.iespell.com/ icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Quote:
Nick and NACHI have been reviewing this for years and it is finally at a point in time where is can be presented.

The proper statement would be Nick has been reviewing this for years and is deadset on its implementation.

I am totally against (CMI) the designation part. I can't help but believe that this will divide the membership. Much in the same manner that it divides ASHI, NAHI, and OAHI/CAHPI membership. With this CMI designation we have just become a clone to all them. Our regular members will now be second class citizens and our newer members will become - well you pick the name.

Several months ago, this program was discussed in length by several Directors of NACHI. Mr. Gromicko assurred us that he understood our concerns and was merely conducting further research in the idea of a CMI designation. Well -

As you can see the program has come to fruition with no ones input (especially the NACHI Education Committee).

Now please don't everyone jump down my throat. I am completely in favor of and pledge my support behind any program that encourages or establishes advanced education for the Home Inspection Professional. I just totally despise the designation part and what its major effects will be on our membership camaraderie. If you are not a CMI you may as well put the verbage "Candidate or Associate" behind your name.

Great marketing tool, no doubt. But it is my duty to protect all the members of NACHI, not a select few. This CMI designation will harm the majority of members and only benefit a very small select few. For that reason alone, I have written this post, and will publically announce that I am completely against this program, as it is designed.

bmerrell wrote:

QUOTE:
According to the 2005 National Association of REALTORS? Member Profile survey, REALTORS? with a designation earned a median income of $82,900 while members without a designation had a median income of $40,900.Bill

I would not dare to bet you that 99.9% of the people buying homes think a Realtor is someone who sells homes, not the fact they belong to an association to use the logo.

Bill,

Your in the school business. If I was, you can bet I would like the idea of people paying me to get some bizzare amount of credit hours to use a logo, after I passed a test.

I would jump on the idea in a heart beat. I would also be advertising the heck out of it, the schooling part.

I think most of us that have followed this proposal for the last few months, even from the sidelines, knew it was a done deal, just a matter of a short time before it was implemented. I’m very disappointed that Mr. Merrell, an educational vendor, would be the one to ‘officially’ announce this and explain to us how great this new program is. That should have come from John B ( well, maybe not), Nick, the Education Committee, the MAB or someone here at NACHI. I still wonder who, other than Nick, supports the CMI designation and who does not. BTW, I have no strong feeling one way or the other but I lean toward John’s position.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

I must acknowledge my opposition to the designation. I believe it will cause a fracture in the membership.

It is being implemented. It can only succeed if people participate. I would love to see some of the criteria and I hope it has nothing to do with that silly questionaire from a few weeks ago.

Bill,
No disrepect, but, 15 hours in the think tank is far from being acceptable. It is apparent that the education commitee, and other committees have been against the program in its current, soon to be executed, form.

I wish you lots of luck on this one Bill. All I can tell you is if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

For the Record- Nick announced it weeks ago-

see following thread
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=17079

Moot point- program cancelled by NACHI- Not being offered at conference

Bill, like I said, your in the school business, if I was, you better believe adding courses would be of the best interest to my business also.

Maybe I'll have a "Arizona Master Inspector" logo made and put it in my websites and see if anyone asks me what that is "AMI".

Nobody even asks what Arizona certified is, so I might as well give "AMI" a shot, since some people may think it is a great idea. Nick might have something there, but I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: rdawes

There are two issues with the CMI designation. The first is whether or not to have it at all. That seems to be moot. It’s disappointing that it was done despite the valid issues raised by the elected and appointed representatives and by the members themselves.

The second issue is implementation. I agree that having this announcement made from the owner of a training firm is very dubious. It would seem that the primary need for a required course prior to a test would be to generate income for the training company. A person can test out of the vast majority of college courses. About the only ones that you can't test out of are those that deal with hands on labs. Why should it be different for the CMI? How long is this required course? What does it cover? A previous announcement said that the CMI training curriculum was available. Will that be in the packet? How many training firms will be delivering the "required" course? What is the cost? I hope these questions are fully covered in the packets.

Personally, I think the issues around a proctored membership entrance test are much more important than the CMI but that seems to have taken a back burner.

BTW, what happend to the built in spell checker for postings?

--
Ron Dawes - MAB Member
ron@performance-inspections.com

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jbowman wrote:
![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)
Quote:
Nick and NACHI have been reviewing this for years and it is finally at a point in time where is can be presented.

I am totally against (CMI) the designation part. I can't help but believe that this will divide the membership. Much in the same manner that it divides ASHI, NAHI, and OAHI/CAHPI membership. With this CMI designation we have just become a clone to all them. Our regular members will now be second class citizens and our newer members will become - well you pick the name.

Great marketing tool, no doubt. But it is my duty to protect all the members of NACHI, not a select few. This CMI designation will harm the majority of members and only benefit a very small select few. For that reason alone, I have written this post, and will publically announce that I am completely against this program, as it is designed.

Thanks John I agee with you.
Roy sr

bmerrell wrote:
For the Record- Nick announced it weeks ago-
see following thread
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=17079
Bill, first of all let me say I meant no disrespect to you or what you have done for NACHI, especially in NY. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I do, however, have to disagree that the post you reference is an official announcement of NACHI CMI. I see that thread as another update on the process of developing a CMI course and you, of course, played an integral role in that I'm sure. I, for one, thank you for that effort. Any official announcement should come in some other manner other than an obscure posting on this BB that is read by such a small percentage of NACHI members. I don't know what the method of announcement should be but it's not a post on the BB.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Actually, the course curriculum is not cast in stone, and neither is the formula for reaching this designation. There is a beta course being offered at Convention.

Many NACHI inspectors will not be required to attend a classroom setting, and can go on to the CMI exam.

Originally Posted By: rdawes

Joe,

That's all good info.

--
Ron Dawes - MAB Member
ron@performance-inspections.com

Originally Posted By: pcarter

Well, I am going to clime in on this one. I am totally against this and agree with others that this designation will cause more harm than good within the membership by splitting the membership. Here’s what I thought when I first heard of it: If it looks like AI, smells like AI, walks like AI, then it must be an AI wannabe. icon_evil.gif

Sorry, this is not why I joined NACHI in the first place.

Okay, let me have it

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Patrick,

Admittedly, this announcement is a bit premature. There are several ways to skin a cay, as they say. And, with all things, there is always room to find common ground. This is what I am currently working on.

There has been a CMI exam, which development was completed on, several months back. It exists. It is not in use.

As I stated, Bill's announcement was premature. No harm done.

As more ideas are kicked around, I'll let the masses know what's going on.

Joe Farsetta