Help with vapor barriers in crawl spaces

Originally Posted By: jlybolt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone have any good information on vapor bariers and when and were required to install in crawl spaces? Are vapor barier required under mobile homes? Any help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: bking

Different areas of the country seem to have different views on this.

Generally you should have the ground covered with plastic. Also the floor insulation should have a vapor barrier next to the floor.

If you have complete floor coverage, the vapor barrier in the floor insulation can be optional in some areas.

Then there are some homes with "conditioned crawlspaces" which is another topic.

I doubt if it is required under mobile homes but should be present under modular homes on foundations.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

As Bruce stated, different geographical areas utilize different methods.

In my area, I want to see vapor barriers over any/all dirt crawlspaces. The poly barrier should be overlapped 12" at the seams and secured with contractors tape. The ends of the poly barriers should run up the bearing walls.

As for mobile homes in my area, I want to see a plastic vapor retarder attached to every subfloor area. The floors will rot and fall apart without a vapor retarder.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

A good place to start is possibly using the building code. We don’t quote code, but the code provides the basis for accepted construction practice or minimum building standard.

The "ground cover" generally reduces the moisture levels and potential for destruction of crawl space components such as wood floor joists, sill plates, etc.

Originally Posted By: jsieg

The first house I owned had a crawl space under it. I contacter Owens Corning… you know the pink stuff, with the Pink Panther on their packages. The tech. rep. there told me that the perfered way to insulate a dirt floor non-conditioned crawl space was:

1. heavy black plastic vapor barrior on the floor, overlap sections by 12" and up any walls 12". Secure any overlaps with high qualith duct tape will be fine.

2. Run insulation verticaly on the exterior walls as high as it can go, down the wall and continue along the floor another 24" to cover the horizontal frost line.

He said that anything more would be a waste. He also told me that he felt that having good insulation in the walls was more inportant in my area then in the ceiling due to blowing wind causes walls to loose more heat than the heat loss through the roof. (more surface area and windows than most roofs)

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

CI-Crawlspace_00-774.pdf )

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

James,

Regardless of what local requirements may say, I've found vapor barriers are critical!!!

Iv'e inspected a few moble homes with steel frames under them. In general, I have found the vapor barrier to be critical in protecting the structure. The frames in most cases were heavily rusted, one to the point of failure of several cantilevered elements.

The moisture under the trailers had also seriously deteriorated the floor insulation and in some cases, affected the floors above.

Iv'e seen moisture from crawl spaces permeate throughout structures and cause condensation along ceiling edges (staining & ghosting) and also condense and form frost in attics on plywood and nail points of conventional framing.

Hope these comments highlite the importance of vapor barriers / ground covers.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Russ Meyers

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: dspencer

I do not think the conflict has been so much with the vapor barriors but with the venting of crawlspaces. A VAPOR BARRIOR is a MUST. Vapor barriors should also be used before pouring of concrete slabs icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

James,

The best source for information on vapor barriers would be your local building code. The local public library should have one on the shelf.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com