The ASHI perspective on licensing

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Thanks Joe for the comments…

http://inspectionnews.com/index-home.shtml

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

jschwartz1 wrote:
Thanks Joe for the comments.......

http://inspectionnews.com/index-home.shtml

Hey Jay,

Where is your pesky little friend and licensing-accomplice from Missouri been? Word from the velvet underground is that he has taken up residence in a small box in Nick's basement ala the 'gimp' from Pulp Fiction fame, can you confirm?

BTW Jay, if you don't like my perspective on licensing, too bad, it ain't your call! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Joe.

Originally Posted By: phinman

Just my two cents here!

I have worked with this NJ Licensing Law for two years and here is the real dope!

On June 30, 2004 there would have been 190 full time inspectors and another 90 that did it as an adjunct to their real business, such as engineers and architects. There are at least 900 practicing in some capacity today. On 1/06 there WILL be a shortage in NJ. Those who do not have work are bad inspectors!

Joe B, thank god the legislature new the real motives behind the bill and worked with us to change it.

My motive behind the change was simply to take the existintg licensed inspectors out of the equation and put the requirements on the school so someone could become a HI without having the kiss the a** of their future competition! We did this! School, field experience by the school, pass the test and get licensed!

And by the way a law should never care about how many people want to become HI's. The ASHI boys have always said there are enough inspectors so therefore I can't become one. What bulls***. Protectionist legislation at it's best! If I want to be a home inspector no one has the right to exclude me because they think there are enough already. This is still America, land of opportunity. Remember the law was written because of the BAD inspectors in NJ, most of which got grandfathered into the business! GREAT for the consumer!

With at least 300 people who took the 300 hour course starting in 2002 only 4 people I know of have gotten their full license! ASHI tried and they lost in their attempt to control the HI business in NJ.

Who else in the nation requires 140 hours of school and 40 hours of field experience? NY soon but no one else.

Mr. Miller should know that I went through the course and I know first hand the quality of the instructors at one of the schools. I would like him to sit through the same bs I did and then he sit through one of my classes and then he has the right to criticize. The school I was involved with was a target because of NACHI's affiliation and the Board was told to back off because they overstepped their authority.

That's all for now!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

phinman wrote:

My motive behind the change was simply to take the existing licensed inspectors out of the equation and put the requirements on the school so someone could become a HI without having the kiss the a** of their future competition! We did this! School, field experience by the school, pass the test and get licensed!

Hi Phill,

Without getting into the great ASHI Vs. NACHI debate on licensing, my only observation was... Why spend the time, money and energy getting consumer protection related HI licensing laws passed, if some outraged group will just double your efforts to get them changed. I can think of many other things I'd much rather do then spend my time getting laws enacted that will simply be overturned.

BTW, most respected professions require some form of apprenticeship. I spent 5-years working for someone before I was allowed to take the electrical contractors exam and become licensed, I really don't see the problem.

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Joseph

I do see a problem

Time does not equal qualified

If you can do the job then your get payed

HI's are not members of a trade union so lets get over this time in the basket way of conducting our profession.

rlb

Originally Posted By: jsieg

The problem I have found here in michigan with the apprenticeship programs is that it is hard to find a licensed anyone who will endorse papers saying that you have completed the required number of years as their apprentice. They din’t want the competision. Yes, you worked for them. No, you were not their apprentice. Unless you happen to be working for someone who is planning to retire. That is one of the problem I see with apprenticeship.

Originally Posted By: phinman

Joe,

I have 35 years of residential/commercial experience and would quite frankly require a solid construction background to get into the HI business. Story for another day.

This was NOT a consumer protection law but a protectionist law. The consumer would have been stuck with old work force that caused the need for the law through grandfathering them into the business and they are going to be hurt again in January when there is a shortage of inspectors because the old law did not produce enough people to replace the old work force.

The new law has a 1 year requirement and 250 inspection for anyone who wants to work supervised to gain experience. Those who have a solid background can now get onto the business in a reasonable amount of time. The old law discouraged seasoned construction professionals because of the length of time, costs amd missed work, while encouraging change of career people with no construction experience.

140 or 300 hours cannot replace your or my experience in the business. The new law is a starting place. The legislature talked about upping the requirements in the future only after there are enough people to serve NJ in the immediate future.

The question I always ask myself when asking another to do something is would I do it myself. I have not had one experienced and licensed HI tell me that they would enter the business today under the old law!

Would you go to school for 300 hours at at cost of 6K, do 50 mentored inspections, you pay if you can get them, and then work for someone for 1 year or 250 inspections knowing that you are doomed to make anywhere from $80-125 for each inspection including the use of your vehicle, gas and oil with no travel time. Maybe get 3-5 a week if you with a big firm.

This is what we have been through here in NJ and the outrage is because the cards were stacked against you ever getting a license.

Enough said!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI