Stove Test

These message board pages are now for archival purposes only.  Please visit https://www.nachi.org/forum/ for our most recent forum discussions.

Stove Test

AuthorMessage
Cheryl Patterson

Paramount Property Inspection
NACHI Member: Yes
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: cpatterson1
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 10:44 AM       Post Subject:
I have been requested to see if the self cleaning on an oven is operational. I have less than 1 hour. Any ideas the best way to test? I have not tested this part of an oven before.
Michael Boyett

Capital City Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: mboyett
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 11:13 AM       Post Subject:
Interesting question. I can't see how the self-cleaning function can be tested within an hour. The cycle usually takes 4-6 hours to complete and the door will be locked for the majority of that time. BTW, why just an hour? You can't do the whole home inspection in that short of a time can you? icon_smile.gif If you can, then I need to know your secret.
Cheryl Patterson

Paramount Property Inspection
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: cpatterson1
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 2:36 PM       Post Subject:
Its a reinspect, for another inspection company that can't do it for her. How they found out the oven cleaner didn't work, I don't check that on a normal inspection. So there are only 5 items I am looking at. So it shouldn't take anymore than an hour.

If I start the cleaning cycle and just see in an hour it's getting hot, can I then shut it down? See...I don't think I can.
Paul Hinsperger

Hinsperger Inspection Services Ltd
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: phinsperger
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 4:37 PM       Post Subject:
Personally, I wouldn't use or permit the use of the self cleanning option in my own home. Depending on the amount of 'crud' you have, they produce large amounts of carbon CO during the burn-off process. I have never found them to be that effective anyway. I find there is still a fair amount of old fashioned cleaning to be done after they are used.
Doug Edwards

Acorn Home Inspections
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: dedwards
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 5:09 PM       Post Subject:
We never perform the self cleaning cycle and I discuss this with the client at the time of the inspection and note it on the report. Outside the scope of the home inspection and all that rot. Some ovens have a cancel feature but most Ive seen the cycle has to run its course. I would imagine that the timer feature would one item that would need to be checked for the self clean mode so overriding may work against you if the timer is kaput.
Jason Sieg

Home Sleuths
(as of 3/25/07)
NACHI Member
User: jsieg
Posted: Dec 1, 2005 5:16 PM       Post Subject:
Once the self cleaning is tsarted it locks as a safety feature. It will unly unlock after it cools down to a safe temp.

Some self cleaners you can set to run at 1 hour intervauls (sp) but you still have to wait 3 to 4 more hours for it to cool down.

All I can say is that you can test the coils to see if they heat... turn on to 350 for bottom coil, turn to broil for top coil. Self clean should use both at the same time to heat past 900 or something like that.

Better tell them they have to call an appliance repair man. If you are looking to see if a repair had been done tell them you need to see the invoice and call to confirm repair.

I hope this helped???